The online racing simulator
start with handbrake
(15 posts, started )
start with handbrake
ok, so the devs made the game so there is help with starting races, so you dont get false starts. but i personally do not want it. it is a racing simulator, and this is definately not in real race cars, or even road cars.

so i want it either removed, or an option....just my 2 cents....who agrees?
Tap the throttle just a tiny bit be4 greens and it's gone.
i have full manual, and clutch, so without getting a penalty in the process is difficult
Quote from logitekg25 :i have full manual, and clutch, so without getting a penalty in the process is difficult

so you'd rather get a penalty when you roll down a hill after the car appears on track instead?
How is it more difficult to use your clutch with a "full manual" (American's with them automatics )
Quote from bunder9999 :so you'd rather get a penalty when you roll down a hill after the car appears on track instead?

No, but any user input should release it, not just producing enough torque to overcome it, which is how it currently is
#7 - Ndrew
I'm not sure I interpreted the correctly, "handbrake on, do not want it", by this I guess you mean to start on the grid without having the HB pulled. Which is fine on any track except BL. Where you have to get either pulling the HB or pressing the brake when the countdown to restart is going on. Personally I don't have anything against this, but some people manage to do enough mess along the starting procedure already due to don't arrive when the race starts (assuming there is either timed restarts or user vote) because [insert various reasons here]. So by that in case of a race on BL they'd either roll back and hit the car behind or roll forward and hit the car in front resulting (occasionally) causing penalty for the driver they hit. On the other hand the starting for those who have custom built handbrakes or using some "external" button/thing/whatever for it, and since you have to pull/push the button/whatever and keep it that way to let the HB engaged in LFS, unless it's a FF joystick, this could be tricky (not saying it's impossible, brake, HB, clutch, 1st gear, throttle) at least for a first few times, even this is how it should be, but since it's not you who drives onto the grid, I'm fine with the HB pulled already. Don't know how this works for auto, but sure as hell if i got off the clutch my car moves in resulting a penalty.
An alternative solution could be like... you start the same as for now, but you have to press the assigned button/pull the axis to disable it for start. Not that realistic either since after that you just let's say tap a button tap pull it.
So by these, it's a 0 from me.
I found that if you put into first gear, tap gas key/ pedel, you move slightly, without getting a SG Pen. im not sure if u can hold the car with the clutch as I dont use full manual but you could do that as it works in a real manual car(just a thought
maybe a solution would be, there is an option, with several ways it works. one would be how it is now, for keyboard or mouse so they dont have to press a million buttons just to start a race.

another would be its on, incase you were not paying attention for the start, but any input (or maybe just brake) will shut it off, so you manually have to hold the car there.

and the last option being completely off, which is probably what i would choose, (with the occasional regret of doing so for not paying attention for restart.)

just my thoughts
if you want to get your revs on - use clutch
Here's two options which I used in real-life when -learning- to drive a stick. Imaging that, an American that DOES drive a standard, and won't go back to an automatic as long as I can help it.

Technique 1:

Hold brake with right foot.
Press clutch in with left foot.
Select gear, in this case first.
With right foot, while holding brake, press throttle to lift revs - takes practice; is possible.
Release brake on green light, release clutch, control wheel spin with throttle.

Technique 2:

Hold handbrake with hand (requires hand-brake duh)
Press clutch with left foot.
Select gear, again first for this scenario.
Lift the revs by using throttle with, your right foot!
Lights turn green, release handbrake and clutch - controlling wheelspin with throttle.

Technique 3:

Press brake with right foot.
Press clutch with left foot.
Find and Use the clutch 'slip zone' or 'friction zone' which ever you prefer calling it as I've heard it called many things.
Release the brake with right foot.
Hit throttle building revs - carefully monitor the 'friction zone' of the clutch so you don't move.
Lights turn green, release clutch and control wheelspin with throttle.

*Technique 3 may burn you're clutch in LFS - possible real-life as well since I would never use this while lifting revs high for a quick uphill start; though this is the 'proper method' (that I was taught) in daily driving so a clutch should be capable of handling it.

--------------------------

As for removing the Handbrake at the start of a race, I don't have an answer either way. It would need to be tried and if I remember correctly, it was the old way LFS use to behave.
i use all of those in lfs

like i said before, a simple option would suffice, and may even appear in the stats, where it shows controller used, and assists.

after all it is a racing simulator, so the more realistic the better
An even easier way to get rid of the handbrake is to stall while on the grid. This way you don't move at all and you then just have to build your revs.
Quote from Bokujishin :An even easier way to get rid of the handbrake is to stall while on the grid. This way you don't move at all and you then just have to build your revs.

il try that, but my point still stands
all I do is raise the RPM and let the clutch out a little while holding the brake with my foot. The handbrake turns off and if you are not on a hill, you won't move when your foot is off the brake.

start with handbrake
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG