The online racing simulator
The difference between unofficial and misc addons ...
... might be kind of tricky to see, but if you look at the descriptions;

Unofficial Addons:
Community-made applications can be posted and found here.

Miscellaneous Addons
Custom textures and other mods, like soundfiles etc.

I've never liked to be the one pointing fingers, but alot of misc addons have begun to find their way into the wrong subforum. I just think it'll be easier for everyone if we keep it nice and tidy.

Well... High-res textures are an add-on and not created by the dev team, so unofficial...

If they want us to keep it tidy, maybe the Unofficial Add-ons forum should be renamed Unofficial Utilities
Yes, the unofficial add-ons are miscellaneous, and the miscellaneous add-ons are unofficial.

I am quite confused...
#4 - XsX!
the unofficial addons are programs, modifications, usually with external exes,
while the misc addons are texture, sound modifications,
at least i'm used to think that
#5 - SamH
If it wasn't created by the devs, and isn't in the list here http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=addons then it's "unofficial". The word "miscellaneous" just groups a collection of unrelated items (to each other).

There are a few different forms that community-created extras can take.

- Textures REPLACE existing files, so they're not strictly add-ons exactly.

- Ban editors (as an example) are applications which make processes in LFS easier, but they don't integrate with the LFS.exe application and so aren't add-ons.

- The LFSLapper or Pitspotter applications run with the LFS.exe application, and integrate with LFS, and therefore are effectively add-ons.

Those are the ones that spring to mind, but there are probably other categories that I didn't think of too.
I don't really understand the confusion about this.

Unofficial addons contains anything that is an external executable, like
  • LFSTweak
  • Mechanik
  • Slickmod
  • Smokemod
  • Ghostcar
Misc addons are content modifications, like
  • Track textures
  • Sounds
  • Interiors
It's completely irrelevant if the devs created that addon (wait... have they ever released an addon yet?) or somebody else, it's just a rough categorization, although I have to admit just by the forum name it's not clear what belongs where. But if you bother to read the description there should be no more questions, period.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG