The online racing simulator
Quote from obsolum :That's quite a cockpit you've got there petervsp! I wonder how you analog handbrake works in LFS, though, as I always thought that LFS doesn't support analog controls for the handbrake. It's either on or off, no?

Thanks
LFS is supporting many analog controllers including handbrake, and View/Look with analog controller. If you have these analog controllers, you can easily configure it to LFS. You calibrate the axis and then assign axis to their function. If you don't have more analog controllers (only classical wheel and pedals) you can easily test other functions by assigning the wheel or pedal to analog handbrake or view/look for example. Of course then you can not driving if you assign the wheel to other funftion, but you can test that function if you interested about it. Try it, it is fun
There's a funny thing going on in this thread. "Oh, I really wanna have fun, I don't care about results... but that guy is ahead of me because he uses autoclutch and I use a super-mega-evolved-realistic device for clutching and I can't beat him".

Guys, I have a Thrustmaster wheel with no-FFB, only 2 pedals (no clutch pedal) and a wheel-turn angle of 360º degrees... If that is an advantage for me, I don't know because I really suck driving any of those cars but I try my best against the guys with FFB wheels. And I have fun, even driving lousilly and in a non-realistic way.

Plus, I have fun racing and being beatten by guys playing in an even more non-realistic way than the way I play: there are some dudes really fast using their fingers in the keyboard or agile with their hands in their mouses... And I don't mind...

And I really have more things to spend money than in a G25/g27 wheel... I would love to be able to buy it without compromise anything in my life, but there are priorities...

So please, if you have all the devices of a real car to play in LFS, be glad about it. I don't have that chance.

Filter command settings???? PLEEEEEASE!!!!
Quote from Forbin :What am I going to do? Whine, kick, and scream that it's unfair because the bike doesn't come with one? No, I go out and get one so I stay competitive.

Well there ya have it, you're basically saying I should revert to using paddles + auto-clutch and a ridiculously low wheel rotation to stay competitive. And that's a darn shame, IMO.
Your idea of realism is a false one. A simulated car does not exist in the physical world, constrained only by the limitations encoded by the developers. If you insist on putting further limitations on yourself by pretending this virtual world is real, that's your problem.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
-
(Forbin) DELETED by Forbin
And then we have some G25 owners using way less than 900/720 degrees in street cars, maybe also paddles, and complaining that increasing steering lock for drifters would make it too easy to catch slides during racing. Realism all the way..

I agree that if a person has a hardware allowing him to get as much realism as possible, then a person should use that settings if the person is aiming for realism. Have linear steering, 720 degrees in lfs street cars, xyz degrees in f1, abc degrees in gtr cars etc. H shifter in street cars, sequential in gtr cars, paddles in f1 and so on.
Quote from Forbin :Your idea of realism is a false one. A simulated car does not exist in the physical world, constrained only by the limitations encoded by the developers. If you insist on putting further limitations on yourself by pretending this virtual world is real, that's your problem.

That's quite a narrowminded view coming from a simracer.

I'm totally with the OP and the rest who'd like some proper sim enthusiast server limitations. I don't like racing in publics due to people who only think about getting the highest standing at the end of the race, even if that requires using some silly arcade wheel. For the same reason I haven't even bothered going for a single WR after getting a G25.

You have to understand, that there are people who think differently than you about simulators, especially LFS. They want realism, not necessarily the 1st position that they acquired by using hardware based driving aids.
See my slipper clutch analogy above. It's the same thing. Use any advantage you can. It is a competition after all.

For that matter, autoclutch and highly sensitive steering are not outside the realm of possibility in a real car, meaning they're not exactly unrealistic as many here suggest.
Quote from Forbin :See my slipper clutch analogy above. It's the same thing.

It's not really. You can't compare real life in this situation, because in real life you are always bound by real world physics. Not so much in sims that simply accept whatever instructions your controllers throw at them, even if they go against the laws of physics, such as wiggling a gamepad lock-to-lock several times within a second. Not that doing so would end up in fast driving of any sort, but you get the example.

Quote from Forbin :For that matter, autoclutch and highly sensitive steering are not outside the realm of possibility in a real car, meaning they're not exactly unrealistic as many here suggest.

Sure, it would be technically possible to build a race car with 180 degree steering by using some crazy power assisted super high pressure hydraulic steering system, but how many of those have you seen in real racing cars? After all, LFS street cars are 720 degree, H-pattern manual clutch cars as defined by the devs, and using those settings is the realistic way of driving. LFS simply allows players to use hardware based aids to overcome those features of the cars. Some of us want those aids to be made possible to be turned off server-side, and I can't see any reason not to have the possibility.

PS. I'm having a massive deja-vu about this thread, wasn't there a very similar one not too long ago? This is a very interesting subject to be honest though.
Quote from fujiwara :aliens (skill-wise) using unrealistic controls, will continue to be aliens no matter what kind of settings they adopt...

Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to say.
Quote from zeugnimod :But why would you need special servers for that?

It doesn't matter what steering input/settings the other driver uses as long as you have fun racing against him, does it?

hi, yes it does matter me, because players who use less wheel rotation often drive unrealistic line too, with hard counter steering...and another point is that is so easier to recover from a crash with this settings, that's make drivers unrealistic agressivity, don't matter to have contact for them ...

For the rest i'm happy to see some simracers agree with my point, i don't talk about alien mouse or short wheel rotation it's not the subject, and if they think that they are alien just want to say cool for them ....

Few drivers see the real point, I buy a LFS licence cause i think it's the best online sim, don't want to have this sort of filter to finish first or to be not beaten... Just wan't a very hard server filter to allow this soft to give its best...
i understand the point of drivers who haven't got the good materials or drivers who have the materials but prefer play like NFS or burnout, each one can have his own choice ...

My choice is to try to play the most realistic thx a realistic soft, reallly think LFS can provide me this...But really seems to miss REALISTIC filter for servers ... Like it says before, i'm sure that sort of filter will interest more driver than we can think, and i'm sure too that's people who want great fun who like mecanics, real SIM RACE, and have the materials to use clutch shifter etc will happy to see this sort of option in server filter ....

Really understand that i don't complain, it's not my life style!!!
My life style is to take pleasure where i can

And i think for this incredible SOFT "LFS" a very hard server filter will allow must of us, who buy the soft for realism to find people who care for that ...

Seems to be a "déjà vu" subject sorry for that and my english again, but as a sim racer really think its a misspoint for LFS realism LOVER like me ...

LFS = online racing simulator plz DEVS keep the word simulator on mind and give us an option to filter very hard server*

Thx all for ur opinions
see u

ps:Nice rig petersvp
@bobbyfish - agree

It's a lot easier to plan ahead knowing other ppl have the same (hard/real) settings as yourself. That's why I drive with friends I know. I can laugh just as much finishing last as being first in a race. In fact, I laugh while I'm driving, not after the race is over. It's the time you spend in the race - and how you feel the game come alive - that counts to me. That said, we might appear to be a wierd breed of gamers. Not caring about finishing first, when it's actually a race!

About your request/suggestion about better server filters, it definitely has a point in my view. In the way that it's good to know that your combatants are struggling with the same difficulties as yourself.

We are all different, but we all love this game!

Perhaps we should meet up on a server some day!
Interesting thread :-)
I am always driving cars as they are meant to be driven. If it has H-gate, then I use shifter, if it has manual clutch + paddles, then I use these. I never use something else. I prefer "realism" here instead of being fast and not enjoying driving that much. I don't know many people who drive FZR with manual clutch + H shifter. Most do paddles + maybe clutch...

So, slower but more enjoyable for me

edit: On topic: Yes, I use wheel rotation degree setting as lfs writes in "garage" + setting it in profiler too ;-)
Must hurt the neck to play unrealistically; looking left 90 degrees all the time . . . [/sarcasm]
I'll join you guys as well if such realistic filter exist one day. And just saying "aliens will remain just as fast" is not quite true. A slow driver using auto-clutch+paddle would be much faster then using a clutch + h-shifter and the same applies for the alien. One reason F1 cars adopted the Ferrari paddle shifting method in 1990 is because it was faster indeed..

Let me get this clear, anyone should be welcome in LFS, having a wheel or not, but it doesn't mean we can't have those realistic server at some point for those seeking realism and equity.

Forbin said it's just a game so let's take any advantage we can.. I don't agree with this. If you enjoy playing a decent simulation you should be aware that driving it the most realistic way is also the most rewarding way. It's harder, but on such filtered server, it would have the same coefficient of difficulty for everyone.

my two cents..
Not everyone has or can afford a G25, will you limit them from racing with you? i have MOMO, its like 180 degree´s i thingk can only turn little more thatn 25% of a turn in either way, and features a sequential style gearbox. Am i not allowed to play the game and try to be competetive and realistic with what i have?

Now besides my rant here... i can give you a tip, create a G25 racers club! and get a server with a password. Then decide with the others what days and times you will try to be online... would be a solution to you problem.
I said: Anyone should be welcome to play LFS, having a wheel or not. I understand your point perfectly but no one should fear that 90% of the servers would instantly be locked.. it's not the goal. Just an option in the server such as "auto-clutch forbiden" would already make my day personally because it does make a difference on the track and some of us would love to have more equity sometimes.. that's all.
Quote from AcesHigh :Not everyone has or can afford a G25, will you limit them from racing with you?

Yes It's no different from disallowing people with a certain rank to drive a particular car (eg. LR Race Center, IronHorse Racing etc...) or disallowing chase cam. I find it funny that some people always throw a fit and play the "discrimination" card when stuff like this is suggested; people are being "discriminated" against all the time in LFS. Except not really, just in the eyes of some people when they see fit.
i am taking no sides in this discussion because both sides have valid arguments. it shouldnt matter very much how others race lfs (900°,360°, H-Shifter, Clutch etc.) but in fact i think a does matter.

i just want to add a thought:
i am not talking about advantages in laptimes here, but how the setup has an influence on the attitude/"way of racing" of each driver.

i am not racing lfs anymore, but i tried to switch to "900°, h-shifter, 3-Pedals" in rfactor. after practicing a lot offline, i was confident to try it online. i tried it for one hour and switched back to "540°, no clutch". while i was pretty competitive in laptimes, i had no chance while battleing for positions. in the infight the little nudges i received from my opponents (which i didn't consider unfair in any way) caused a lot of trouble for me.

with the easier setup, i corrected the resulting slides relaxed with a smile on my face. with the more realistic setup i was struggling so much, i couldn't stand it anymore.

what i want to say: if anyone on the server would be using such a realistic setup, the fights for positions wouldn't be that aggressive (and maybe more realistic(?)), because everyone had the same trouble as me. catching a slide is so different on a realistic setup, i really can understand why someone who is using an easier setup can't understand why the guy in front of him that he had slighty touched at the rear of his car suddenly has so much trouble.

for me it's more about perspective than laptimes.
Before/If such filter will be made, we might make something like 'I'm glad my rival use same realistic and hard settings as me' and put a little tag into your name. Will it work? I don't know, for sure there will be a bunch of fag liers...

Personaly, one unrealistic thing I use is FF - 104% in profiler and 15% in LFS and it makes me feel guilty!
Quote from pasibrzuch :Personaly, one unrealistic thing I use is FF - 104% in profiler and 15% in LFS and it makes me feel guilty!

That's not really unrealistic. I reckon most people use something along those lines, except maybe a bit more force in LFS. But I wouldn't go so far as to set restrictions on the FFB values, although one might argue that that, too, can give you an advantage. But I think that may be taking it a bit far
Quote from obsolum :That's not really unrealistic. I reckon most people use something along those lines, except maybe a bit more force in LFS. But I wouldn't go so far as to set restrictions on the FFB values, although one might argue that that, too, can give you an advantage. But I think that may be taking it a bit far

a FFB restriction wouldent work anyway. As long you can have it at 100 percent in lfs, u can have it at 5 percent in logitech profiler.

Anyway. I for one would like a serious server side option, that says at least 35 percent ffb, no autoclutch, forced cockpitview, no paddleshifting with H shifter cars, 720 degrees on wheel and value 1 for it.
I actually would like to see limited options for the game over all. Aint the devs doing this for a kickass simulation?

I would like to see that they remove the options for other views then cockpit while racing, not being able to paddleshift with autoclutch and so on.

They can also make something that checks logitechs profiler for unrealistic values and also only accept certain wheels for this simulation, like all ones with 3 pedals and H shifter.

I would do it if it was my creation, they arent really after money, otherwise they would have released a paid update every year and being a bit more expensive.

I wouldent let crashers and people with no serious attempt on racing clean and on equal terms ruin my creation for others. LFS should go hardcore simulation in that part and become better and more focused on what they are doing. Im sure that all of us who would still pay for this simulator would without a problem pay more for it going this way.

But that's just me dreaming.
A bit more fuel in there...
Our server weekly combo is set to FZ5 / SO4, tough one.
1 hour race tonight, sounds like a good workout and throttle control challenge.

However I've found out that most of the drivers will use ABS + TC. It makes this combo so tame that it is possible to mash the loud pedal exiting turns, no risks, tyres in perfect condition while late braking downhill for the hairpin before the straight... even under the bridge it brings stability.

If I pick the "hairy" option and get rid of the assits as I usually do, I am sure I will not be competitive and may not even finish the race. I will also be more unpredictable on track, less close racing.

What would you do?
Quote from Mille Sabords :A bit more fuel in there...
Our server weekly combo is set to FZ5 / SO4, tough one.
1 hour race tonight, sounds like a good workout and throttle control challenge.

However I've found out that most of the drivers will use ABS + TC. It makes this combo so tame that it is possible to mash the loud pedal exiting turns, no risks, tyres in perfect condition while late braking downhill for the hairpin before the straight... even under the bridge it brings stability.

If I pick the "hairy" option and get rid of the assits as I usually do, I am sure I will not be competitive and may not even finish the race. I will also be more unpredictable on track, less close racing.

What would you do?

I'd use TC + ABS, but I'm not doing the race tonight I already use ABS in all cars that have it. TC depends on the combo, I tend to leave it off most of the time and just turn it on to save the tyres a bit.

Good luck!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG