The online racing simulator
Drop in frames since new processor
(58 posts, started )
Drop in frames since new processor
Yaow, so yea, I got a AMD 6000+ AM2 3.00ghz processor with a big ass cooler and fan.

Origionally my BIOS didn't recognise the chip so I updated the BIOS (Windows still worked) So I tried it ou on CoD and it was quite stuttery, I figured this was just down to the out of date BIOS.

Anyway it still runs like pewp, so I tried it on LFS and sure enough the frames start out at 170 or so and drop to about 15.

A year or two ago I updated the graphics card and had similar results to what i'm having now and it turned out to be the PSU not being strong enough. I now have a decent 500w (Or 450 I can't remember now) and didn't think the new chip would be too much for it, I think this is the problem but i'm better getting some answers from the clever boffins first...

Yea, I guess it's supposed to but when the pc isn't really doing much the clock speed goes down to 1000MHz, I thought if the processor was throtting during heavy load it would show up on the CPUZ but it sticks at 3.00ghz all the way...

Thanks
Attached images
doh.png
Is your heatsink attached correctly? Check your CPU temperature.
forget to plug your video card in? (although it probably wouldn't work well to start with...)

did you reinstall windows recently? maybe you need a driver upgrade.

edit: someone said in another thread that the 6000+ sucks... having never bought an AMD (aside from the used 2000+ [133x12.5] pc i bought some years ago), it's hard to say.
Bawbag, what CPU did you have before that gave you higher frame rates?
The CPU temp is shown on the picture, very low from what i've heard about this monster heating chip....

My old one was a AMD 3800+ 2.00GHz, that was the only change I made, so the video card hasn't been touched since it was put in a while back.

My specs are
nvidia 8800 GT 512mb
AMD 6000+ 3.00GHz
2gb ram
300gb HD.

Thanks for the replys.
Quite strange, I have good fps in CoD 4 and CoD MW2, ofc over 90.00 in LFS, with almost same CPU and GPU.

Try downloading AMD Dual-Core Optimizer, useful app that runs once after you turn off your PC and is not visible at all.
#7 - dadge
would the 3800 be a socket AM2 and the 6000+ be a socket AM2+ ?
Yep but I think his mobo is AM2+.
CoreTemp reports both cores to be at over 60% load, check task manager to find out what causes such high load. BTW are there any new chipset drivers available to your motherboard?
I think they were both over 60% because LFS was open?

Anyway I called a guy I know and he got me a ocz 500w gaming PSU for £15, reconditioned, not bad. It's in now and running sweet as the dogs nuts.

Had CoD running smoothly at 1280 x 1024 resolution and most things on high, thanks for the help.
Did you clear the CMOS? updating the bios doesn't clear them I don't think, so try shorting the jumper or removing the battery for a minute or two.

If that doesn't work, go to the search bar in the windows taskbar, and type in "device manager" and click the first one. Then go down to "Processors", open the drop down menu, and right click on any of the ones that are there and choose "scan for hardware changes". If that doesn't work, do the above again and choose "uninstall" instead of scan, then turn off, clear CMOS, and reboot again.

So after about half an hour or so of CoD it started again, now the processors are constantly throttlling from 3ghz down to 1ghz, even when on idle....
Reseat your heatsink. Did you use fresh thermal compound? Is the fan spinning? Check your voltages in the BIOS. Your CPU voltage might be too high.
Quote from Bawbag :****.

So after about half an hour or so of CoD it started again, now the processors are constantly throttlling from 3ghz down to 1ghz, even when on idle....

Turn "Cool 'n' Quiet" off in the BIOS.
Quote from Forbin :Reseat your heatsink. Did you use fresh thermal compound? Is the fan spinning? Check your voltages in the BIOS. Your CPU voltage might be too high.

Quote from MijnWraak :Turn "Cool 'n' Quiet" off in the BIOS.

I used fresh compound and yes the fan is spinning, heat isn't an issue, well it's actually running a lot colder than what it should be, I guess thats a result of it not working at 3Ghz all the time...

I just turned off Cool n Quiet, there were 3 voltage options for the CPU 1.35 1.40 and 1.45, I set it at 1.35 now.

Will try some testing in a while, thanks for the suggestions.
Ok, same results again, though i'm still pretty sure that it's the PSU causing the problems because with a 50W stronger PSU the drop in frames takes a lot longer to happen, it's like it takes some time to warm up, even though it's definetely not a cooling problem.

I'll see if I can get a stronger one tommorow.
Quote from Bawbag :Ok, same results again, though i'm still pretty sure that it's the PSU causing the problems because with a 50W stronger PSU the drop in frames takes a lot longer to happen, it's like it takes some time to warm up, even though it's definetely not a cooling problem.

I'll see if I can get a stronger one tommorow.

What's your motherboard make? the only reason why your cpu is throttling is because it's doing nothing at ldle, like when just surfing the net the cpu is doing nothing so C&Q drops the cpu speed depending on how much the application is stressing the cpu, so when you load up COD6 c&q puts the speed back to normal, you can turn it off by going into the bios or set the power setting in windows to high performance.
It does not make much sense to me so far, but I think that the PSU is just a red herring. I suspect that it's some sort of CPU-motherboard incompatibility which causes the CPU to throttle down erratically.
Asus MV2 TVM motherboard, it's apparently compatible with all amd chips to date.

The reason I think it's the PSU is because before the problem would start after a few minutes, now it takes a good 15-20 minutes for the frame drops to begin, but once they're here, they stay.

Pecky, a processor doesn't jump from 1ghz to 2ghz every half second on idle, I understand when it's constantly at 1ghz, but not jumping up and down.

I "know" it's linked because when it was doing this I started LFS and straight away it was giving only 14fps (Because it had just been running MW2 for about an hour)

A little theory could be that problem comes when under heavy load because of the fans, once the processor and 8800GT heat up both fans obviously have to work harder thus draining power from the processor.

As I said i'll try get a 550w or 600w tommorow. Btw Pecky in the 15 mins it's been since I started writing this post the processors clock speed has been at 3.00GHz the whole time, no throttling or anything.
i came across this, which unfortunately doesn't help your problem, but i'm wondering if it's something similar...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/11/30/1818207/

dell pushed out a bunch of laptops with some sort of bug that would severely throttle the cpu, even when it was uncalled for. i forget what the fix was too, but i think it can be fixed in software.
#21 - arco
Take a look at the Advanced Power Settings in Win7. There's some settings there regarding throttling. Expand the "Processor power management" branch to see. Defaults are 5% for "Mininum processor state", Active for "System cooling policy" and 100% for Maximum processor state. You might wanna try and increase the minimum value to see if it gets any better. Or you could simply select the High Performance plan instead I guess.

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/diff ... ing-options-in-windows-7/
Tried all that allready
#23 - arco
Hmm, according to this, the mobo supports the 89W version, but no mention of the 125W one.
Quote from arco :Hmm, according to this, the mobo supports the 89W version, but no mention of the 125W one.

Dam you beat me to the idea when i mentioned it to bb.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG