The online racing simulator
BL rally REV.. not too popular?
(42 posts, started )
lately, coming to the server list, the first thing I look for is a BL rally REV server with at least a couple people.. (and an RB4 for my taste ;-P)
But it seems not too many people are fond of the track, which I cannot understand..
I looove the first left after the finish line... it's super-hard (and therefore super-fun) and it pretty much makes the track for me (beside the other long-straight-into-gravel turn..

i don't create servers myself.. am just a "user-kinda-guy" with LFS, but would love to see the track a bit more often..

am i weird?

Quote from durrri :
am i weird?

Yes. Probably as much as me... sorry...
BL2R was popular in demo, but once devs took it out of there, track died quickly...
There's one server (I know about) that is full time set on this track, it's [AA] Demo BL2R but, since it's demo, it's limited to xfr/xrg only...
The limit to demo cars is not what i mind most about demo servers..its the unorderliness of the participants that u come across..especially in rally races.. Tpo few people go and read the code of conduct..
Btw, didnt know the REV was ever in demo..
It was back in 2005-2006 when used to play demo.

I have to say it was a really bad move from the devs to remove the s1/s2/demo filter... it completely killed off the demo combo´s for me and alot of my friends.

BL GP and BL rallycross and GTi class was really good and fun racing untill they merged it together... now its just a real crashfest and there is no way to ban players since they are on demo, and can create a new account if they want to since its free...
It's really sad, because it's damn much fun driving that combo
Hopefully someone takes the opertunity to make a propper TBO server with it again
Hopefully..someone..
The IronHorse server got it, but your not allowed to drive the TBO before a certain lisence level.
"Booo! You have too much of a life to drive this car!"

I haven't actually driven this combo much myself... May have to give it a go.

btw TVE, what happened to the [noobs] server? It's gone again
Everyone always cuts across the gravel on the outside of turn one, then there's a big crashfest on the next left-hander, I think that's why people got sick of that circuit. Stick red+white barriers all over the gravel and you might get a decent race out of it.

It's great fun in the LXs.
Or a better solution than R/W barriers are the Marshals or haybales... then if there is an accident, it doesn't cause a massive barrier wreck as RW ones do.

and Yes, any rally track is fun in LX cars.. even though I suck
Quote from brandons48 :"Booo! You have too much of a life to drive this car!"

I haven't actually driven this combo much myself... May have to give it a go.

btw TVE, what happened to the [noobs] server? It's gone again

No idea, guess some of the n00bs in my team oblirated it
Quote from AcesHigh :It was back in 2005-2006 when used to play demo.

I have to say it was a really bad move from the devs to remove the s1/s2/demo filter... it completely killed off the demo combo´s for me and alot of my friends.

BL GP and BL rallycross and GTi class was really good and fun racing untill they merged it together... now its just a real crashfest and there is no way to ban players since they are on demo, and can create a new account if they want to since its free...

BL2R with GTi cars and the BF1? That would get rid of the demo-ers... hehe, and surely nobody with an S2 license would nuts enough to race the BF1 on Rallycross... mind you, I've been wrong in the past.
Quote from Kamrock :BL2R with GTi cars and the BF1? That would get rid of the demo-ers... hehe, and surely nobody with an S2 license would nuts enough to race the BF1 on Rallycross... mind you, I've been wrong in the past.

I think you definately are wrong on this one.
BL2R promotes cutting the track. Its kind of like FE, if you don't cut you are not competitive. With BL2R cutting the sand trap is required to race competitively.

I always try to avoid that track. I agree with kev.
Great combo, The iron horse rally server is great. Nice to see people racing rally again it's been too long. I miss the pre S1 days when you were harunteed a good rally x race
Quote from legoflamb :BL2R promotes cutting the track. Its kind of like FE, if you don't cut you are not competitive. With BL2R cutting the sand trap is required to race competitively.

I always try to avoid that track. I agree with kev.

If you feel you can't compete without cutting T1 feel free to do it as well...
In fact, when there wasn't any insim software emulating restricted zones you couldn't do much about it and, frankly, in demo, cutting over grass was way safer for everybody (even thought that was a killer for suspension these days) .

And of course you miss the fun off throwing an old xrg into drifft at over 150km/h when you go flat-out through T1/T2 there when not cutting... try it someday ;-)

And last, but not least, that constant moaning about demo being crashers fest... I feel that it's like some `right-thing-to-say` mantra here... IMO most of people say that even thought they don't understand what they actually talking about :-) There's plenty good demo servers, well managed, and even thought sometimes some punk emerge there, he'll be taken out relatively quickly...

I spent most of my lfs life on demo servers and still enjoying racing there and pre-x-patch times bl2r demo servers had many licensed drivers among regular visitors due simple fact that in S1/S2 mode servers with that combo (same as it is now) were badly deserted and you can't enjoy racing much without racers, do you?

...and yes, I've been crashed many times... so what... Happens... get over it, and try to catch up to the pack, that's fun too. :-)
Quote from JoRuss :If you feel you can't compete without cutting T1 feel free to do it as well...

Wow, what a ridiculous attitude. :thumbsdow
Quote from thisnameistaken :Everyone always cuts across the gravel on the outside of turn one, then there's a big crashfest on the next left-hander, I think that's why people got sick of that circuit

Uhm? If everyone is cutting through T1 on BL2R (as it used to be), then crashing anyone there is actually pretty much impossible. Go the right way, on tarmac, and you'll have all kinds of troubles. Cutting is much safer, faster, more fun. If BL2R ever returns to demo then we'll certainly go for cutting. People will get sick of the track only if cutting is not allowed.

As I wrote in some other post, I consider removing BL1R and particularly BL2R from demo a big mistake. It substantially weakened the demo community, and believe it or not, licensed people actually come from demo, so it (my view, but I'm not alone) substantially weakened S2 as well.

Considering demo/licensed hosts. I love demo. It is an interesting community with new people coming (and going too). It changes constantly, every day you'll see someone new, you see what progress he makes (first being banned, then learning the rules, meeting the community, turning into a LFS fan, later into a good driver). I think the S2 community is pretty much static, the same old faces around... Want to understand humankind as a whole? Watch demo! Joke, a bit, but also some truth in this statement.

Also, it is perfectly possible to have nice, close, clean races on demo servers. Obviously the chance of being crashed is higher. There are hardcore crashers but it is much more probable you'll crash because of some unexpected action of a complete newbie. Learn to calculate with that, expect the unexpected and you can have quite some fun. Sometimes. On some places. With some people.
Is there anyway to filter out the demo drivers from the demo combos these days? maybe allowing a car that isnt on demo like this. Bl1, gti-class, then add like bf1 and restrict it through insim?

Havent really hosted server before, but my team are considering getting a server and then have it rotate some classic fun combo´s... and ofcourse it would be fun to have it public when its not used for private team practice/events.
Quote from EQ Worry :Uhm? If everyone is cutting through T1 on BL2R (as it used to be), then crashing anyone there is actually pretty much impossible. Go the right way, on tarmac, and you'll have all kinds of troubles. Cutting is much safer, faster, more fun.

Not everyone is is willing to cut that corner because it is cheating. Cutting corners is the same as using hacks because they are both cheating. Honest people don't use hacks because there is no point in winning if you have to cheat to win.

I completely disagree that it is safer to cut. Cutting that corner is not safer in any way and it definitely does cause crashes worse that normal T1 crashes. From my experience with RX at BL2R, the people that disregard the track boundaries also disregard traffic that will be crossing their path through that corner. Countless times I have seen and have been in rear-end crashes caused by those who have cut across the gravel. I can not see the safety in cutting that corner.

I also disagree that it is more fun. Cutting is not more fun. Cutting the gravel causes crashes especially in T1, which results in frequent restarts. The frequent restarts hinder peoples' original intention of joining the server, which is to race. Not racing is not fun for everyone.
Quote from zeugnimod :I think you definately are wrong on this one.

Then make it UF1. If someone chooses that it is their loss
Quote from legoflamb :Not everyone is is willing to cut that corner because it is cheating. Cutting corners is the same as using hacks because they are both cheating. Honest people don't use hacks because there is no point in winning if you have to cheat to win.

If everyone goes the same way, it is no cheating. The win is perfectly honest, everyone had the same conditions. True, if there is someone going the "right" way, he'll be causing lots of troubles. But if everyone is cutting, it indeed is much safer, faster, funnier. Maybe you trust on this point someone who's done one thousand of laps there, maybe you could trust someone who's done tens of thousands of laps this way?

Well, I guess you would not. Devs made the track go that way, it is the only correct way. I can understand the point. But it never worked and if BL2R ever finds its way back to demo it will not work again. Demo people have been doing it this way for years and none of them ever complained about cheating, simply because cutting was better from every perspective and the same for everyone.

But again, I repeat that I understand the idealistic point of view.
I feel I have to adjust my prevoius comment about demo racing relating to crashes.

I had been a demo racer for quite some time before I had turned S2 and I must say I enjoyed every bit of it. You indeed get to spend some valuable race time on any given demo server.

I guess once I turned S2, I got kinda "spoiled" and expected the very cleanest of every server.. so coming back to any demo, I was furious to get crashed.

Sorry, demo, for bashing you.. you are loved
Quote from legoflamb :I completely disagree that it is safer to cut. Cutting that corner is not safer in any way and it definitely does cause crashes worse that normal T1 crashes. From my experience with RX at BL2R...

My experience tells me the complete opposite is true and I'll offer a couple of reasons for this.

Inexperienced drivers have a tendency to overshoot while navigating the chicane, then clip or crash into the left side wall, resulting in an often unavoidable roadblock for anyone unlucky enough to be following.

The chicane can't be taken two abreast while at speed, so the start of any race invariably leads to a game of chicken where drivers gamble that the other guy will slam on the brakes and back off first. A big problem given how many drivers there are who are willing to take a chance, and with a large grid you can almost guarantee someone will get it wrong.

There's quite a margin between the speed the top drivers and the slower racers can take the chicane. If you're following an unknown driver this can make the whole experience incredibly unpredictable, and all on a section of track with little grip or room for correction. It does provide plenty of opportunity for overtaking, but gaps are often small and tricky to squeeze through.
Quote from legoflamb :the people that disregard the track boundaries also disregard traffic that will be crossing their path through that corner. Countless times I have seen and have been in rear-end crashes caused by those who have cut across the gravel. I can not see the safety in cutting that corner.

Bad drivers will cause problems wherever they're racing. Force them through a tight and testing area of track such as T1 rather than the allowing them to cut across the expanse of gravel into an easy left and you can expect them to be far more disruptive. I say this as someone who prefers to put up with this and drive the more conventional route.

Incidentally, JoRuss really is the expert on BL2R. He's actually covered more laps on that track alone than you have in your entire LFS career, and is still out there chasing his perfect lap.:insane:
Quote from zeugnimod :Wow, what a ridiculous attitude. :thumbsdow

I hope you're aware that I was referring to JUST BL2R track and ONLY in demo environment? On licensed server, where you can expect more experienced drivers (sadly that's not always true) cutting doesn't drastically increase safe passing through T1/T2 sequence and there's not really point for doing it (except for fun and to bring some good old time memories :-))

And if someone wants badly to take you out there by slamming your car to the wall, there's plenty options how to outsmart such fellow, but I'm sure you are aware of that, but probably just forgot...

Quote from Hyperdrive :
Incidentally, JoRuss really is the expert on BL2R. He's actually covered more laps on that track alone than you have in your entire LFS career, and is still out there chasing his perfect lap.:insane:

So true, so true, Master...

(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG