The online racing simulator
Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Yeah, gay men.

Lol, I don't like any other Fiat 500 apart from the Abarth. Did you see it when it was on Top Gear, pretty quick for a little car.
Quote from J@tko :If you're a girl

I would prefer the "600" (1000TC) Abarth and I know that those cars are not girly in any way. They are maybe little, but many people doesn't realise how hardcore those old Abarths actually are. They need a driver who can cope with a fast RWD rear-engined, short wheelbase car. Yes, they have tiny engines, but they also are very light, they really are quite fast cars.

-EDIT- Ahh, I realise you guys were talking about the rubbish new one. I don't really have any printable opinion about that.

My post is a bit useless considering the original topic, but let it be.
I quite like the new 500s, they're sort of cute. I'm not sure I'd want to drive one (unless maybe it was rally driving through a forest or something), but I can't actively hate them, just like the new Beetles.

At least it's closer to the original model than the new Mini is to the old one.
Quote from BigPeBe :I would prefer the "600" (1000TC) Abarth and I know that those cars are not girly in any way. They are maybe little, but many people doesn't realise how hardcore those old Abarths actually are. They need a driver who can cope with a fast RWD rear-engined, short wheelbase car. Yes, they have tiny engines, but they also are very light, they really are quite fast cars.

-EDIT- Ahh, I realise you guys were talking about the rubbish new one. I don't really have any printable opinion about that.

This is the new one, review from the man himself - Clarkson lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXALDprqcuc

He is driving the normal version for about a minute, then he moves onto the Abarth SS version.
Quote from sam93 :This is the new one, review from the man himself - Clarkson lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXALDprqcuc

He is driving the normal version for about a minute, then he moves onto the Abarth SS version.

lol don't try to make me write my opinion down about it with these fancy reviews.

Clarkson's reviews are always entertaining, but it still didn't make me change my mind. The part where I smiled for a moment was when the original 600 Abarth was on the picture. Shame he didn't go driving it.
Is the 600 Abarth rapid or something?
Well the "rapidness" always depends on for what you compare... But yes in a race trim they are simply awesome. Car weight what? Like 500 kg and the N/A 1000cc engine can take even +10 000rpm. IIRC as best they made +110 hp or similar which is neat in a light car like that.
But it's not just the how quick they are, these old and raw machines just have something what modern cars can't ever have.

Tho if I made mistakes here well then I'm sorry, but my knowledge with Fiats is very limited.
They're never going to hit 200mph, but I imagine that like driving an old Mini the fun is in throwing it round corners at full pelt, not how fast it goes in a straight line.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Im talking about when your really young, like 5-10 years old. My dad had his vauxhall back in 1998, so i was only around 6-7 years old. I thought it was really cool, and so did all my mates. Looking back, i realise how stupid it was to like such a car. It was comfortable and pretty nippy for a diesel, but just a horrible GM piece of poo.

again speak for yourself
i think at that time my parents had a fiat uno and some 190e neither of which impressed me in the least
although my aunts 924 which is in a completely different league (including by objective grown up standards) might be to blame for that
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I have a question...

What do people think of the new Vauxhall Astra CDTi's? I currently have a 1.6 Astra mk4 and I seem to get on average about 280-300 miles to a tank, my brother on the other hand, who has a Astra mk5 SRi 1.7 CDTi (100). His car is faster then mine, while also being able to get double the milage to a tank..and has cheaper tax! The reason I ask peoples thoughts on them, as he is thinking bout selling it too me!
Quote from mcgas001 :Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I have a question...

What do people think of the new Vauxhall Astra CDTi's? I currently have a 1.6 Astra mk4 and I seem to get on average about 280-300 miles to a tank, my brother on the other hand, who has a Astra mk5 SRi 1.7 CDTi (100). His car is faster then mine, while also being able to get double the milage to a tank..and has cheaper tax! The reason I ask peoples thoughts on them, as he is thinking bout selling it too me!

You drive it funny! My Dad's 1.6 16valver MK4 with 112,000 on the clock would return 350+ to the tank normally.. you must THRASH it Sean.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You drive it funny! My Dad's 1.6 16valver MK4 with 112,000 on the clock would return 350+ to the tank normally.. you must THRASH it Sean.

Mine is different tho..mines an 8v...technically it should be more fuel economic but it isnt...
Huh? Why does it means it's more economical because it's got less valves?
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Huh? Why does it means it's more economical because it's got less valves?

I'm not sure it is tbh...I'm more for annoying Jamie at the moment LOL..having said that tho...the 1.6 16v is 99bhp and is an ECOTEC engine..mine is a 1.6 8v and isnt an ECOTEC engine, mine is only 82BHP...
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Huh? Why does it means it's more economical because it's got less valves?

Idk why. Like 8v engines produce more torque than 16v engines..idk why

SCREW YOU SEAN.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Idk why. Like 8v engines produce more torque than 16v engines..idk why

SCREW YOU SEAN.

Marginly more at really low revs..so little infact its hardly worth bothing with. I like my little 8v..cant say ive ever really been a fan of the 16v vauxhall engine. 8v are really easy to maintain as a pose to the 16v...all different engines have there pros and cons tho...

A little thing I was told about the ECOTEC engines too...(Not that I believe it, just what I was told...)

Every
Component
Of
The
Engine's
Crap

Hehe!
Sean, sell the Astra and buy the Astra 2.0 Turbo instead, you will love the fuel in that even more lol, I've heard they get about 20mpg going around town lol.

The CDTI engines are good though, the one in our 1.3 Corsa Van is good on fuel and is nippy, that has the ecotec engine. So might be worth thinking about getting it.
Nissan Sunny GTi
about 140bhp, dunno the insurance there but the car is light, powerfull. Lot's of fun.

Will be my daily for sure
It beats a Kia Rio
Ow, about the Sunny GTi, it's a 2.0l. I dunno how much insurance will rip you off for that
Quote from BigPeBe :I would prefer the "600" (1000TC) Abarth and I know that those cars are not girly in any way. They are maybe little, but many people doesn't realise how hardcore those old Abarths actually are. They need a driver who can cope with a fast RWD rear-engined, short wheelbase car. Yes, they have tiny engines, but they also are very light, they really are quite fast cars.

i agree 110% the air cooled lump with the boot open... weird but considering the competition when it was out originally ( mini cooper 1.3l ford transit hillman hunter 1600 ) it was a nippy little banger.

Quote from Scrabby :Nissan Sunny GTi
about 140bhp, dunno the insurance there but the car is light, powerfull. Lot's of fun.

light Yes, powerful... unrestricted running 95ron fuel Yes. lots of fun Yes...

Insurable no, safe, no, crush like a coca cola can yes.

they need to be Fully caged and re-enforced before you even drive it.

Quote from Scrabby :Ow, about the Sunny GTi, it's a 2.0l. I dunno how much insurance will rip you off for that

3250, with a full leicence and 2 years ncb... theirs hundreds of them here, and almost all of them are stolen.

Very Very fast car though...

1.3 glanza turbo wouldn't be a bad purchase.

or even a glanza S
I'm back again, kids.

My parents seem to think I should get rid of the p-wagon with the... issues the suspension seems to have (more investigation tomorrow).

If I were to sell my car now would be a good time to do so - it has 12 months MOT etc and I would probably get £600+ for it quite easily.

My parents have offered me £1000 on an interest-free loan, which I could put to gether with the money I have atm to spend anywhere up to £3k on a car. Although ideally I would like to spend MUCH less.

If you think i'm a shit driver, or that i'm immature, or that i'm ugly, or that I like to have sex with donkeys - Good for you. I dont care, so please just stfu

What I want:

Power:
Dont care anymore. Dont want anything slower (else overtaking will be impossible), but as long as it can do 0-60 in less than 12 seconds and cruise at 85 then thats fine.

Running costs:
My car is group 11. I pay £1152 per year, with 1 years NCB and pass plus. I can stomach a little more on insurance for the right thing, but anything obviously cool like a 5L Jag is out of the question. Insurance will be a big issue for me.

Fuel:
I currently run 70 miles a day to Uni and 40 to work. That means I put through 15k+ miles per year.

I can afford to fuel my car currently, so again anything over 36 MPG is fair game. Certainly wouldn't mind having some cash in my pocket, tho.

Fuel Type:
You guys might not like a dity diesel, but it's hard to argue with the MPG figures. Would like to properly try one but i'm not sure if my Dad's Cee'd is the best showcase..

Transmission:
Manual, all the way.

Drivetrain:
Don't care. Probably stuck with gay wheel drive but I can deal with that.

Equipment:
Don't care. My car has nothing and thats enough. Cruise control would be nice but I really really dont care. All I need is a radio and some ok speakers (which I already have), dont need heated seats or any of that shit. Would love a heated screen though. I love gadgets but dont really like paying for them. Power steering would be nice, and front electric windows.

Body style:
It has to be able to seat 4-5 people. Not comfortably, I dont give a shit about my passengers if they aren't paying. Looking at a saloon or hatchback. Dont want anything smaller than my current car tbh.

Dont care, tbh. Pre-2001 would be ideal though as that would put it on the old tax system which would save me some £. Interior condition doesn't bother me that much either - I can always clean it.

My earlier ideas:

Proton Coupe:
Erm, you'll hate this but I dont care, little bit less MPG than what I have now, but a bit faster, chassis is designed for a more... involving drive and it's cheap. Insurance is a little more (£85) but its everything I love about the p-wagon but better.

Audi A4 Diesel:
You may hate diesel, but it's hard to argue with a saloon sized car at 55 MPG. Bad points are it's £1.6k+ for a 1998 model with spaceship mileage.

My parents ideas:

Punto - i'd rather fornicate in broken glass,

406 - if I have to,

Meganne - equally meh,

Coralla - Uninspiring but actually not that bad,

Rover 400 - If its cheap, but I dont like the idea of paying £2,500 for a car that could die of HGF soon...

MG ZS - 400 with a bodykit. TD version is ok to insure, and gets 52 MPG which is good, but can't help thinking how it's been treated in its life. Quite liking it for some odd reason, though.

Focus - Well it's not my cup of tea but gets universal praise. Would probably want to try one first - I do have DOC on my insurance (somehow...!) but I dont know anyone with one they'd let me drive...

Citroen Xsara - Fills me with dread.

And now for the choice I wrote off as rediculous...

Mercedes (yes, a Merc) C-Class. C250D, not fast (but slightly quicker than what I have), better MPG, insurance is barely any more. Lots of toys and I love the idea of a super(ly average) saloon - there has to be a downside i'm sure but I just cant find it yet...

Other choices suggested:

Accord - 33 MPG.

Cougar - 33 MPG, but oddly alluring. Insurance also seems cheap (comparatively) - £100 more than the MG?!

Other problems - I cannot bring myself to look at 306's etc. Not happening. I refuse - I would love an "outsider choice" though.

Again, please post constructively because insults can't drive me to Uni.
Alfa 156
Quote from danowat :Alfa 156

Seems ok but at the very very very top end of my budget tbh

Second Car...
(673 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG