The online racing simulator
Lag since new router
(3 posts, started )
Lag since new router
I've not raced on lfs for about 3 months, I had to get a new router recently as my trusty faithful BT voyager died!

I've joined 3 servers today (2 near full, 1 with 3 connections) and been kicked for lagging on the Airio powered ones. There was blatent +5 second lag on each one. Here are some of the facts:

*I have done speed tests immediately after the lag issues and had download speed of 5104kbps and upload of 353kbps

*I do not have any lag issues when playing on xbox live

*I've disabled Kapersky completely, which made no difference

*The PC I use LFS for is the only device on the network at present, so there is no issue with multiple users

*I upgraded to LFS version Z28 this morning

*My broadband provider is BT and they have been the entire time I've played LFS

*Im now using a Belkin N Wireless Router

*I have tried using the wireless card in the PCI slot and a belkin usb dongle.

I can't remember fully, but I swear a few years ago I did port forwarding on my old router for a similar problem. The only thing is I cannot for the life of me remember which port I opened. I've been searching the forum for about an hour now and searching for "lag" and "port forwarding" on here just brings up a bewildering amount of endless threads.

Can anyone give me some definitive pointers on what I should be checking on my system to cure this issue?

Cheers
Do you have a patch cable you can try between PC and router, to rule out the wireless part? assuming that router supports that.

SD.
I didn't have the patch cable, but I did find the issue.

The Belkin usb adapter I was using was showing a full signal on the desktop. Speed tests were fine, just what I can expect for my location. The ping on ping test was pretty bad.

The PCI netgear card had a code 10 (device wont start). Updated drivers and it seems to have cured it.

When that started up, in a last ditch I plugged the voyager router back in, hey presto! Think it just needed a vacation after 6 years constant service. Download speed test was slower, but not by a great deal, still above 4mbps. Latency was much more what I was used to.

Morale of the story is: Don't buy crappy Belkin!!!!

effing networking, I hate it!

Lag since new router
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG