The online racing simulator
I miss the old LFSforum
(119 posts, started )
Quote from franky500 :No dis-respect intended, I like that you report the posts, But i can see where (whoever it was that has told you not to report so much) is coming from.

it's alright... he meant it as a joke more than anything, but when i directly asked him it seems that i do report a huge amount of threads... which i partly apologize for, especially when it comes to me reporting the same thread/post twice because i don't know if it was dealt with or not.

i've had a lengthy discussion with him about some things, and i got a few insights as to moderation activities on the lfs forums... i think we're on the same page now as to why i report what i report, but it seems my forum ideals aren't quite in check with the forum's current state.

it's not a bad thing, i just think things differently because i have a different point of view... and i certainly wouldn't want someone to stop what they're doing just to please me...
I hope im not in the "bad guys" list

For me, everything seems to be ok but i have to agree with TVE in some points. The "+1" guys and those, also demoers/new people are the ones who mess up the forum - because they wont read the rules. Cant even make a thread anymore (me), when i do then some zeugnimod (usually) comes in and sets me on fire. Even if i have a nice thread and content in it that can have a discussion. I would just ignore it.
Just to clear out, I am not saying that person or that person, pointing fingers or anything, just generally speaking.
So no, don't feel offended, no one should do. Just keep it in mind, and try to obey normal social guidelines. It might not be as fun as raging around beeing an asshat, but in the end it's best to be left that way.
In my mind the problem is that the line between msn and forum is very blurred these days. Once upon a time you didn't post unless it was constructive relevant information (most of the time), now we tend to treat forums as places to chat, which is fine in it self. The problem arises when the chat sinks to the level we would expect in some night club area in the back streets of a city. For some that is fine for others it's not the place we would choose to be. I for one used to get bothered by such posts but these days just choose not to respond or if I do respond I just respond to the OP in an informative manner and hope that that in some way will influence others to do the same over time.

Anyway I do agree that the forum isn't what it used to be, but that is partly to do with LFS's state of affairs as well as it's age as mrodgers mentioned.
Myea, not sure but a chatroom would help us out. Im pretty sure that there is already, but it could be shown on the site or some - people cant find it. Also, im not a big type of IRC so ill pass this one. A basic on site chatroom would be cool.

Also, worth to mention - what the *beep* is going on in thread "Wow" where Riders Motion told that hes back over some time. Then brt900 just literally sets him on fire and now we're having a virtual World War 3 in there. Am i stupid or im just missing something? No idea, but if u take a closer look in there ... for christ(mas) sake.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1339564#post1339564
Some threads I have an instinct just not to enter, that is one of them
Now that's one sad example

The topic itself is a..let's face it, joke at best.. but the replies that rolling on is..meh.. Better to ignore it imo.
I agree

But, im not sure what has happened between these guys over there. Even if it was personal or something - they keep rolling and they just have to flame. I guess it was some old conflict that they still cant solve. But yea, thats a very sad example tbh. Brt900 seemed like a nice guy to me, until now

I know ive been trolling around too, ive got loads of flaming banananas too. But for now ive realised that "post only when you actually have something to say". Like some time ago, i made a thread - then someone (cant remember the name) came in and told that i was spamming. But the thread was fun and had corresponding content in it. Then he said that i was spamming, i quickly chekced out hes profile and dropped my eye on the "last posts by *lolwut*" and what i saw, about 4-5 posts in a row what had only 1 word in it.

Some people need to learn a bit, i guess its just that people thing we're looking for "attention" wich we are clearly not. No idea whats theyr goal about flaming/spamming and that stuff. But ive kinda got used to it. Never seen a good forum community yet. Every place has its own black sheep.
I miss the old type of people TVE like you who grap the failure of human kind to find a place to discuss....I agree dude.....

Up the Irons!!!
Quote from the very end :sure, i am, as someone described me, a raging drunk.. But as i am sitting here reading topics, drunk as usually, i canot ignore what's happend to the forum.

Everytime somone posts anything that might be a questionable question, it's usually ends up with the ordinary flamewar replies, and everyone jumps the "cool" flow and flaming the living shit out of everything, posting replies like "failthread", "that's gay", "+1 agree to above" and such... For some time it's fun, and in topics that are made to out of fun - sure, it can work.. But seeing topic after topic after topic getting ruined by this utterly low intelligent posting is really a bad thing. If a newcombers ask a question, what happens? Well, you can be sure on that he will be replied with "old suggestion is old", or "been suggested before, use search for ****s sake".. The forum is hostile, childish and in some situations...retarded..

It's failing on beeing humoristic, because as a newcomber you get the impression that this is an **** forum. One wrong suggestion / question and you will be punished by the spammers that will flame you into oblivion.

I know it's nothing we can do to it, since more and more kids are getting internett, and because it's "cool" to be an totally **** on internett for popularity and attention.. But i really had wished lfs forum could keep itæs nice friendly and atmosphere.

I miss the old forum, where people could ask all kind of questions, and get answers back. Even if it were to be asked a million times before, people would still answer in the topic or giving a link to the user so he could find an answer.

My litte rant for today, but i hope that the ones beeing guilty here takes a little notice of it. Not everyone have the time browsing thousands of topics on the forum, and new people might even not know what you call the "simplest" things.

Peace out

+1
Quote from SidiousX :+1

You just made an example of what he was talking about. How about, take ur time and add something useful in ur post.
Quote from hazaky :Also, worth to mention - what the *beep* is going on in thread "Wow" where Riders Motion told that hes back over some time. Then brt900 just literally sets him on fire and now we're having a virtual World War 3 in there. Am i stupid or im just missing something? No idea, but if u take a closer look in there ... for christ(mas) sake.

Being priviliged to get to know what kind of a guy RM is in his true self, I'm not that surprised of brt900's post.
Quote from hazaky :Cant even make a thread anymore (me), when i do then some zeugnimod (usually) comes in and sets me on fire.

Link?

Because I just checked the list of threads you started and I certainly can't find any where I "set you on fire" afterwards.
Actually, I totally agree with TVE.

Sure, it's going to be hard to improve the ambiance of the forum, but there's only one thing that really puzzles me... I mean... It is proven that some people just doesn't and will never understand that they have to get a minimal respect while logging in there. I won't give a large list of names, but brt's post in the "Wow" is a nice example of this kind of behaviour. The forums is full of low, cheaps and dirty attacks like that, and people only randomly receives an infraction, despite I do know that many people(including me) uses the reporting feature, without much results, as the mods seem to hesitate before being harsh once in a while. Now, I can understand that they have a real life and a job outside this forum, so they don't crave about leading an anti-flame war campaign out there, but now... cmon, why not be stricter instead of giving infraction that no one cares about? Insulting someone isn't a small thing, it can end up in big fees if someone sue you IRL, and even in jail(racist insults) in some countries. IMHO, people should at least create a public excuse thread before being allowed to come back to the forums after getting an infraction. Currently, no one cares about infractions, as it just ends up like "Oh, crap, got another blame, well, guess I'll have to keep my nose clean for the next week then" for the guy who earn it.
I was also confused by that Wow thread, mainly because i was expecting to find something about World of warcraft in there, but that isn't here nor there.

RM was being nothing but polite and just having a laugh in there, then brt steams in calling him all sorts and then jordan joins in too calling him scum etc, about something he said about someone who died apparently, (MJ? :tilt which seemed very odd as i had a quick scan thru RMs posts and he hasnt poseted very much at all, and everything he has posted has been nice and nothing but polite, no reason to kick off at him, unless me and hazaky are missing something.

My main point being, that kind of thread isn't one that a newcomer to the forums would really want to wander into, as if i were a newcomer and looked in a thread with all those arguements i don't think i would come back again, far too hostile!

Another thing that comes up time and again is mods, car mods, people ask if they can get different cars and if they can where can they get them, they are new members a lot of the time, theyre not gonna know that its against the rules, so a couple of people will post saying no you cant have body mods as it isnt allowed, but then the thread will get deleted, so there is no reference to that question ever being asked or answered, so in maybe 1 weeks time someone else will join and ask the same questions, we have all heard the question asked 1000s of times before, and we can't even tell em to use the search because any threads about modding are trashed.

So, why not just have a thread made with a question and answer in, something like this....

Quote from Q: : I would like to race different looking cars in LFS, is it possible to modify car bodies and if it is where can i get different ones?

Quote from A: : Hello, unfortunately we are not able to discuss anything regarding car body modification (also known as VOB file editing) as it is against the rules set by the developers of LFS, the rules being that any modification that alters the body shape of a vehicle is not allowed, therefore things like body kits or different car shapes are outlawed.

Stick that in the newcomers section, call the topic 'info regarding car body shape modification' or something similar and there you go, sticky the thread and job done, that way, it should hopefully cut down all the repeated questions about mods all the time.
#41 - 5haz
This place hasn't changed at all since I arrived here nearly 2 years ago, (and had been lurking for about 3 years before that). It always been a pretty unfriendly place compared to the several million other forums I've frequented over the last 10 years under various names.

The whole internet is full of stupid ****s who think they are clever, with their arsenals of cheap shots and overused cool internet sayings, its not just this forum. Its the anonymity that turns shy, quiet people into the biggest twats.

But these extensive monologues you give us, full of blanket generalisation and nostalgia about good 'ol days which never really existed do absolutely nothing to improve things.

People just don't know how to be properly, originally undermining these days. :rolleyes:

Quote from The Very End :For me I am safe, and can take some "punishment" without beeing bottered.

Are you sure about that? I only had to disagree with you and you were reduced to crying offended and hurling swear words.
5Haz, I understand your opinion, but to me I feel the community changing. It's not what is used to be. As said before the forum was very forgiving and welcomming, but nowdays... ohboi if you ask for VOB files

Quote from 5haz :
Are you sure about that? I only had to disagree with you and you were reduced to crying offended and hurling swear words.

?
#43 - 5haz
Quote from The Very End :5Haz, I understand your opinion, but to me I feel the community changing. It's not what is used to be. As said before the forum was very forgiving and welcomming, but nowdays... ohboi if you ask for VOB files

These kind of people have been around since the beginning of mankind, perhaps increasing computer usage is what has made their numbers increase on the internet over the last few years.

From what I can see though, this place has been pretty unfriendly for a long time.

Quote from The Very End :?

Oh you know, the whole thing about fictional vs real tracks, you seemed to get pretty angry with the fact that I disagreed with you, then a few of you fellow 'old forum members' showed up and started attacking me blindly without reading the thread, and I was portayed as some kind of troll simply for disagreeing with someone. :rolleyes:

There are two kinds of people on the internet, the sarcastic, undermining evil people, and the cry babies that get offended by absolutely everything.

There are of course normal people, essentially the ones that have social skills and don't use the internet much and so don't have much time for forums, as a result there are so few of them.
Nono, I was not even beeing angry at that point, I was more, anoyed. If I remember right (IF!) I didn't throw around too many swear words. Again, my memory is not the best, so I canot gurantee anything.

Either way, you are allowed to have an opinion, I won't shut you for that, but my humble opinion is that the forum has gone down the drain lately.
#45 - 5haz
What exactly, do you intend/wish we could do about it then?

I think the best solution would be to have stricter administration, but the admins should be careful to punish the original protagonist rather than those who get angry as a result of the protagonist's actions.

And those who cry admin abuse can be told to go **** themselves, I've seen this approach in action on racing servers before, and it resulted in very clean racing.

It wont necessarly make the forum a friendlier place, but it should make it a fairer place. In life you'll come across a lot of twats,
It's no doubt about that the moderators would need to be more strict, but in the end of the days everyone has to take some responsebility. It's about thinking twice before posting in some situations. Also, answering a questions takes the same energy as flaming, therfor there really is no excuse at all acting like an ass on the forum.
I don't miss the old LFSforum, I miss visiting General discussion for a reason.

The no-patches-no-new-content era of LFS has made the Off-topic the only remaining connection to the community and let the demons run amok.
I'm with the OP. It has changed (like many forums). I don't think it's a "natural cycle" of forums, but the people that use them becoming more aggressive and less clever - the standard of forum visitors has tended to go downhill.

I think a lot of the problem are forum trolls - those that don't play the game at all (and perhaps never have to any extent), don't like the game (or its rate of development, or its physics or...), and have never 'helped' anyone with anything to do with LFS. Why are they here? Do they get a kick out of reminding us that the Scirocco is 'late'? Do they get a kick out of disagreeing with those that still rate it highly?

I don't sit on the iRacing forums or the rFactor forums trolling how unrealistic aspects of those games are (although the iRacing fanboys seem to be more passionate than the LFS fanboys ever were, and refuse to admit that driving it isn't very much like driving a real racing car). But on this forum we do seem to have iRacing and rFactor fanboys (and other sims/games too).

Edit: Yes, the Off Topic forum was a bad addition. It should be removed, pronto.
I think everyone with a join date of after 2007 should be banned, problem fixed!
OY! Im only 2 months late, can there be some le-way with this idea?

I miss the old LFSforum
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG