The online racing simulator
The Great F1/Karting Debate
(40 posts, started )
OK, have at it, chaps!
#2 - 5haz
Pearcy pretty much summed it up, its like talking to a brick wall.
#3 - DeKo
There isnt a point, Intrepid is just a deluded cock.
Quote from 5haz :Pearcy pretty much summed it up, its like talking to a brick wall.

5haz you never answered my question. What car series did you race, and what notable karters did you race against that helped build your opinion of karting?

Why do you never answer this very simple question.
Quote from Intrepid :5haz you never answered my question. What car series did you race, and what notable karters did you race against that helped build your opinion of karting?

Why do you never shut up about how amazing karting is? Works both ways matey.
This is ridiculous.

Just don't read/ignore Intrepid's post when you get so worked up about them. It is NOT hard.

This ganging up on him is stupid. :thumbsdow
This thread is already shaping up to be an Intrepid bash fest! It's irrelevant what I post because some on here have a default setting of disagree
intrepid, if u care to listen to the whole 6 minutes of that bbc video in the other thread

MSC SAYS THAT KARTING AND F1 ARE NOT THE SAME SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2c
If you truly believe that karting and F1 are basically the same, call some F1 teams and tell them that you are a great kart racer and you would like an F1 ride. They will laugh you straight off the phone mate. Give it up, you're wrong.
Quote from Intrepid :5haz you never answered my question. What car series did you race, and what notable karters did you race against that helped build your opinion of karting?

What race series did YOU race in, Alan?
#11 - 5haz

The most notable drivers had come out of the BRDC Stars Of Tomorrow thingy, I didn't really know or care where else they came from, the championship was the Ginetta Juniors, which at the time was starting to become the very professional geared series it is now. I formed my opinion from the amount of bitching and smarmy ness I witnessed from just about everyone, plus the actual Star of Tomorrow Championship winner was hopeless at first and went back to karting only to return later in the year after some time with an instructor I so I heard.

I've since moved on to more laid back series, which match my atitude to racing, but I've recently been diagnosed with a heart arryhthmia so I wont be racing until that gets fixed. :rolleyes:

Its like talking to a brick wall with you anyway, no matter how many people try to explain something to you it will never get in, I can't be bothered much anymore.
Quote from 5haz :The most notable drivers had come out of the BRDC Stars Of Tomorrow thingy,

You can't remember any of their names?? Well I'll try and do that for you.....was it Nigel Moore by any chance? He did Ginetta just as it was 'taking off'. Last time I checked he was the youngest driver to ever compete at Le Man. Or maybe Jordan Lennon-Lamb who's a finalist in the Grand Prix Shootout?

Ginetta Juniors is an interesting series but that's a class designed to suck drivers out of karting way too early. it's no wonder you thought they were all ego boys... they were YOUNG kids.. all young lads are like that! They never get the chance to race the professionals over in Europe and develop. That's the level I am talking about, not national junior karting.
#13 - 5haz
Quote from Intrepid :You can't remember any of their names?? Well I'll try and do that for you.....was it Nigel Moore by any chance? He did Ginetta just as it was 'taking off'. Last time I checked he was the youngest driver to ever compete at Le Man. Or maybe Jordan Lennon-Lamb who's a finalist in the Grand Prix Shootout?0

Lennox Lamb was so awful at first (I have to thank him for making sure I didn't finish last in my first race) he was replaced at Hepworths racing by Nigel Moore, which turned out to be a clever move seeing as he went on to virtually dominate, although he was certainly challenged later on in the year by Kieran Vernon, but too late to get anywhere near him in the points standings, both drivers have since gone on to greater things and they both deserve to, unlike quite a lot of the rest of us that year. Lamb came back later in the season and was much faster (but so were the rest of us), but binned his car a lot.

The point is, both these drivers had a lot of track time on their hands to get up to the standard they are at now, they did not just seamlessly move from karts to cars. Track time is everything.

I just don't like mentioning names, thats all.
I wouldn't say it sucks them out of karts way too early. Some of them may have been keen to race GT cars rather than Formula 1, and if that's the case then getting into cars as soon as possible can only be a good thing. Besides, you can start racing karts from, what, 8 years old? And you can compete in the Ginetta Juniors from 12-17 (correct me, that's a rough guess), so you could have at least 4 years of karting experience, probably a couple more.

Of course they haven't had the chance to race the 'professionals over in Europe', half of them are barely teenagers. Give them a chance!
I know this has no real relevancy to the thread but i had to leave it here.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I AM KARTOR I HAVE FIVE BALLS FEAR MY EXTENSIVE BALL COLLECTION

IMO the real benefit of karting is pacing. The corners come up quick in a kart on a kart track, and the braking zones are very short. This is good training and really teaches you how to pass and defend well. Good racecraft, and hones your split-second decisions. Learning left foot sensitivity is good too.

But arguing they're similar to drive to a Formula 1 car is a bit silly. But I can't really comment on that because I haven't driven a downforce car yet. Hopefully that'll change next year when I finally get my hands on one of those Lola F3s that my school uses. :drool:
karts are similar to F1 cars, but you cant practice driving with such g-forces but most importantly F1 cars have special wings to help create downforce, where the air pushes the car into the ground making it far more difficuilt to drive.

F1 cars are not just about the tyres gripping but also having the wind pushing it down, and this is why only the best drivers can drive them fast! Go-karts are good for practicing stamina, racecraft, overtaking and fitness etc but you cannot possibly practice driving with heavy g-forces and mostly importantly the downforce that helps the car to grip in the fast corners.
Put a karter straight into a car...

Ooh Noes! I Only know how to steer press Accelerator and brake.

Yes you learn Racecraft and How to overtake.

Depending on what series your going to do Open Seaters/Saloons

Just attempt to do it in a car.

You can see how Jordan-Lennox lamb and adam *Cheater* christodoulou Done so well..
They was doing it for enough time..

I Had 6 years of Karting, Winning at Circuit Club standards, Won many races in South east Championship.. And When i got in a car.. Karting didnt really help me one bit.. Other than Finding Lines.
Quote from Jordan2007 : adam *Cheater* christodoulou

Can I ask why? PM me if you like. I met him a while back, seemed like a very genuine guy and obviously very talented, he'd just won Star Mazda in the US...
Google his name with MSA next to it.
#21 - 5haz
Quote from Minimaxman :Can I ask why? PM me if you like. I met him a while back, seemed like a very genuine guy and obviously very talented, he'd just won Star Mazda in the US...

I heard something like he got a ban from national karting for flouting some rules, hence why he moved into cars.

Although he seemed to have put all that behind him now, seeing as he won an Autosport award last year did he not?
They buffed up/modified their karts....
Must have been some slippery polish.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but his Dad tampered with engines or something?
#25 - 5haz
Something to do with cranks or so I hear.

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG