The online racing simulator
#1 - apo3d
lag text above cars to be optional
Hi,

i've searched for this issue and it seems nobody else was bothered by this before so i'd like to point it out.

First, i'd like to point out that i use the 'real' gauges, mirrors, and nothing 'virtual' except for the minimap and the position and lap counter.

At the beginning of a league race tonight, i had the car in 1st gear, clutch pedal floored, gas high enoguh, and ...

i was really concentrating on the start lights, and the car in front of me had a bit of lag... enough for the green (LAG counter) text to appear above his car, just in the line of sight towards the lights i was very concentrated on...

I reacted (quite fast i may say ) and got rewarded with a nice drive-through, as the race started a few seconds later.

My point is that i would like to have an option to not have text appear over the lagging cars.

Maybe the whole car could blink red
At least an option to change the colour of the text would do, because green was the colour i was expecting, and i reacted to the colour, not to the fact that it was text there.

And no, i do not like the virtual lights. That's why i have them turned off.
iirc u can, lag text shows up in yellow on my LFS.
I agree the lag text is too eye catching
A blinking car would distract you exactly as the "green" text. It has nothing to do with the color green really but that your waiting for a "go" signal and sometimes that signal is any thing that changes.

In the Head-to-Head league we have had several people get eliminated because of other uses disconnecting at the wrong moment, or even when someone connects at the wrong moment - the change on the screen is caught by your eyes and your trying to react fast so you don't care what changed you go... only fractions of a second later do you realize what you've done but by then it is too late.

------

A blinking car, yellow text or anything of the sort wouldn't really fix it because it is still a visual change. Perhaps the car stays where it is but the collision disappears or something? I don't think that option is that great either but there is only so much that can be done.
#5 - apo3d
@BenjiMC - i didn't find any such option. i feel we're talking about the same color which seems green to me and yellow to you

@blackbird04217 - i understand what you're talking about, and i must say that in my specific case disconnecting or connecting while i was paying attention to the start lights did not 'trigger' my response. it's just that the lag text appeared exactly where the green lights are (i can provide a mpr if you're curious )

indeed a blinking car might not do the trick well enough.

if the lagging car stays there without any text above, how would you distinguish between that and a 'normal' car that is just sitting there?

if it were looking like 'ghosts' look in time trial events in some games (semitransparent and with a white glow), i think that would do.
Quote from apo3d :@BenjiMC - i didn't find any such option. i feel we're talking about the same color which seems green to me and yellow to you

I'm pretty sure that you can change it in interface colors, but it's possible that if you want to change that you will also change the color of other texts
@apo3d: There is no need to send the replay, I understand that your situation was the car in front disappearing; I am just explaining don't think it is the 'color' that would help as much as you're hoping as it is still a huge change on the screen and that can lead to the "GO" trigger. I am not saying that in your case it wasn't the color, but simply explaining the problem is bigger than the color.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG