The online racing simulator
Totally pointless topic
(94 posts, started )
Totally pointless topic
At an acceleration of 7g, (about what Humans can sustain long term), it would take 50 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes and 28.9993 seconds to reach the speed of light (~ 1.08 Trillion km/h).

Told you it was pointless..

Now lets have yours
#2 - J@tko
Quote from gezmoor :At an acceleration of 7g, (about what Humans can sustain long term), it would take 50 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes and 28.9993 seconds to reach the speed of light (~ 1.08 Trillion km/h).

Now lets have yours

I wouldn't sustain 7g for a long period of time
The fly flies at 6 km/h.

The mosquito flies at 3 km/h.
Quote from gezmoor :At an acceleration of 7g, (about what Humans can sustain long term), it would take 50 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes and 28.9993 seconds to reach the speed of light (~ 1.08 Trillion km/h).

Now lets have yours

Except that it wouldn't! It would take that long to reach about 95% of the speed of light. Then that long again to reach 99%, then that long again to reach 99.9%, then that long again to reach 99.99%........
Quote from NunoMike :The fly flies at 6 km/h.

The mosquito flies at 3 km/h.

But Chuck Norris flies even quicker
#7 - hp999
Chuck Norris has two speeds: Walk and Kill.

Even pointless.
Quote from tristancliffe :Except that it wouldn't! It would take that long to reach about 95% of the speed of light. Then that long again to reach 99%, then that long again to reach 99.9%, then that long again to reach 99.99%........

Actually I think the problem is that you simply couldn't sustain 7g acceleration, as the energy required to accelerate your mass rises and rises the closer you get to c.
Quote from tristancliffe :Except that it wouldn't! It would take that long to reach about 95% of the speed of light. Then that long again to reach 99%, then that long again to reach 99.9%, then that long again to reach 99.99%........

If we had an energy source that could provide a constant 1g acceleration, we'd be able to reach the edge of the known universe within a human lifetime. The only problem is, once these travellers return back home, billions of years will have passed on earth.

Welcome to the mind**** that is time dilation!
It would take about 348 days to reach the speed of light at 1g, which is what almost everyone is experiencing at this very moment while reading this. Sounds cool, doesn't it? But as AndroidXP pointed out, mass drastically increases with speed and so does the energy(and force) required for maintaining that acceleration. At the 99.9999% of speed of light almost infinite force would be needed to speed a body up any further.
Quote from AndroidXP :If we had an energy source that could provide a constant 1g acceleration, we'd be able to reach the edge of the known universe within a human lifetime. The only problem is, once these travellers return back home, billions of years will have passed on earth.

Welcome to the mind**** that is time dilation!

That is called the "Buck Rodgers Syndrome"...

Quote from MadCatX :It would take about 348 days to reach the speed of light at 1g, which is what almost everyone is experiencing at this very moment while reading this. Sounds cool, doesn't it? But as AndroidXP pointed out, mass drastically increases with speed and so does the energy(and force) required for maintaining that acceleration. At the 99.9999% of speed of light almost infinite force would be needed to speed a body up any further.

A 1g burn for 348 days would require a ridiculous amount of fuel. And if you actually wanted to go somewhere, you'd need twice that amount of time and fuel (perhaps more) just to match speed with your destination. If you actually want to go back to where you came from, you'd need 4 times that amount of time and fuel.

Also, you'd need to assemble the vehicle in space via numerous launches (ala ISS) and then have numerous launches to fuel the vehicle.
Quote from Forbin :A 1g burn for 348 days would require a ridiculous amount of fuel. And if you actually wanted to go somewhere, you'd need twice that amount of time and fuel (perhaps more) just to match speed with your destination. If you actually want to go back to where you came from, you'd need 4 times that amount of time and fuel.

Also, you'd need to assemble the vehicle in space via numerous launches (ala ISS) and then have numerous launches to fuel the vehicle.

You certainly would, but you would need exactly the same amount of fuel no matter if you were to maintain 0.001g or 1000g acceleration, because the kinetic energy of the spacecraft at the end end of a burn would be the same. (1000g burn would most likely need more fuel than 1g because of higher losses caused by higher power output). But that wasn't really my point here. I just wanted to demonstrate that even though we have devices that seem to be capable of reaching very high speeds, these basic assumptions won't work at speeds close to c when the effects of relativistic physics start to kick in.
The previous post is so full of win

Now lets have yours

Take a look at relativistic mass. Summed up the faster you go the heavier you become. Good luck finding enough propulsion to accelerate something of incredible mass. Also good luck launching a space craft carrying all that energy. Solar power probably isn't going to cut it
Great plan for those on slow internetz.
Quote from brt900 :lol not as big ass as this but i think this looks nicer i have a 22000x17000 image but i cant upload it anywhere please tell me if you know of somewhere

Please link to those images rather that putting them in image tags. It's just selfish and silly to put them in image tags. You're wasting people's bandwidth and messing up the forum.
Quote from brt900 :Broadband 20mb ftw

Meanwhile, it took my 2MB line 30 seconds to download about 1/10th of it.
really nice image of rio
lets do a game, the guy with the biggest picture wins
Quote from aroX123 :lets do a game, the guy with the biggest picture wins

Do your own stupid topic!

Totally pointless topic
(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG