The online racing simulator
Racing Simulation Comparison
(20 posts, started )
I just found this on Wikipedia. Someone put a lot of time into making it so I think we should all check it out.

speedfreak227
something is wrong there, it says that u don't have less grip in lfs when ur off from the racing line illepall

or have i missed something here?
Its true. If you're on the track, you still have the same amount of "grip", so to speak. i.e. being on the marbles doesnt make the difference it should.
You only have less grip when you touch the grass. LFS doesn't have anything like GTR's LiveTrack (more grip on the racing line) yet. So that list is allright. Very well done!
-
(tristancliffe) DELETED by tristancliffe
Cool chart. Had a peek at it.

I like the fact that LFS has 48 flat spot points ... like no other.
Quite interesting ! LFS is allready quite good but will be even better with the time !
Unpaved, ice:

Live for Speed (S2)

Partial[6]

Note 6: Ice is only used for internal testing, not present in the official tracks yet.

oooOOoo
Hmmm
Hi,
Did you check this at "Road surfaces and covers that affect handling" part.

Note 6: Ice is only used for internal testing, not present in the official tracks yet.
Why aren't you people talking about the PATCH!
I'm curious about the "Deformations of rolling tires that affect handling" column. All those sims listed are using slip angle/ratio based models, i.e., lateral force is a function of slip angle. In that case, every sim shown there is modelling tyre deformation.

Perhaps that column would be better titled "visual tire deformation?" Keep in mind the physics engine can be doing one thing while the rendering system is doing something else...
Quote from jtw62074 :Perhaps that column would be better titled "visual tire deformation?" Keep in mind the physics engine can be doing one thing while the rendering system is doing something else...

That's the way LFS does it right now I think. Physics wise, it simulates a good enough feel from high/low tire pressures, as well as high/low camber levels. HOWEVER, with high cambers for example, the tire deformation is still being done... in a way it doesn't look right, becausee the outside edge of a tire with -6 camber is so easily pulled inward, just the same as a tire with 0 static camber. So, I suppose it is a visual effect (well it has to be). Because even witht he suspension telemetry, you see the tires changing camber and stuff, but the tires aren't deforming on that screen either.

Still, I do think that column about "tire deformation affecting handling" applies to LFS, no doubt. Just the visual aspect is something completely different apparently.
In netKar Pro, you can kill your driver.

I wonder how this is modelled?
Probably I'm guessing by how many G's the driver sustains = death. I don't think it models vital organs in the driver But you can get a great idea that the organs turn into a milk shake of the body cavity after a certain amount of G's the driver is put through
It says that in LFS the doppler effect isn't implemented, isn't that just when your camera is stationary and the car goes by coming to it's sound is higher pitched then when it passes you, isn't that in lfs?
Yes, but the actual doppler effect isnt there. I think it's just hard-coded to do that. I'm not sure though.
Quote from Infiniti :Probably I'm guessing by how many G's the driver sustains = death. I don't think it models vital organs in the driver But you can get a great idea that the organs turn into a milk shake of the body cavity after a certain amount of G's the driver is put through

It is said that some Indy drivers have survived +100Gs in some crashes, uninjured... I wonder how much of a role safety plays there, and how much luck does for you.
I thought LFS had "dynamic throttling"
Note 1: More data packets are send to peers who are closer on track, network conditions permitting

i remember suggesting it quite awhile ago and im sure someone said that it was already in.
Quote from Marty502 :It is said that some Indy drivers have survived +100Gs in some crashes, uninjured... I wonder how much of a role safety plays there, and how much luck does for you.

dave purley used to hold the record for the highest g forces when he crashed the lec f1 at silverstone, 107 mph to 0 in 26 inches, 179.8 g !, head on into a wall, not sure if its still the highest

he recovered but sadley died in a plane crash off the coast of bognor regis
They list whether sounds are sampled or not. in lfs they are not sampled. that is a plus. it should be a "green no" in that field.
The doppler effect is ok, there is no reason to "hardcode" it, it is pretty easy to code especially since the sounds are rendered realtime and there is not a wav that needs stretching/compression.

The 26 inches you mention, it's the distance traveled... by what?
Fractor for mods and dedicated users with time to spare, LFS dedicated drivers just wanting to improve.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG