The online racing simulator
What will Technology be like in 10 years?
(77 posts, started )
Quote from J@tko :No no - he said "technology", not "girls".

OMG you're right, women and technology are converging!

Does this mean more women will work in IT? The male to female ratio here is currently around 75:2. With a more equal ratio, I'm on a much more level playing field with other guys, and I'm just stuck with the age old problem of convincing them to sleep with me.

Alternatively, does it mean that I'll just end up designing and programming robotic women?
Scirocco in LFS. Sorry, couldnt resist. Had to be said.

On a more serious note, I agree with QS. I dont think there will be any huge radical changes, everything will just be easier to use and faster.

Who knows, maybe there will be some jobs (household) we dont have to do ourselves anymore. Altho that was said 10 years ago too and that didnt really happen so... (Yes, I am talking about robots)
Quote from Intrepid :We'll have powerful enough computers to create exact simulations of human life on earth, and thus, drastically reducing the odds of us actually being real ourselves.

And maybe someone will finally be able to run Crysis on High settings

Quote from dekojester :...

We can get Ellis to stand out in the rain with his pink [oh wait, I mean red] flag
Quote from J@tko :And maybe someone will finally be able to run Crysis on High settings

I was actually going to say that.

Remember when DiRT came out people were saying like "Who knows, maybe NASA will be able to enjoy this". Always cracks me up
It is a fact that right now half of what a student studying in a technology related course learns in their first year at university is out of date in their third year, and the rate of technological progress is at this time still increasing exponentially - it is not slowing down, technological progress is exploding.

For some time the speed of processors has doubled every 18 months or so, and graphics processing around every 6 months or so. In order to stay ahead of the competition two things have happened: Manufacturers are giving us 'doubling' with more cores, duplication and parallel processing is becoming the norm. Currently this is being rolled out slowly because software moves slower than hardware (because the industry involves many hundreds of thousands of people and equally as many products, whereas the hardware industry employs less people making less products, so hardware reacts faster to changes).

Once the software industry has gotten a better hold of parallel processing and multi-threading techniques are "mainstreem" (which is more or less the case now) and then the catalogue of products is all adapted to it, the rate at which this 'doubling' of cores can increase with a tangeable benefit. In two years time there will be more uses for a 32 core processor than we have today, and ultimately we'll be treating cores like we current treat bits.

The other thing manufacturers are doing is miniaturising everything, this has had an interesting effect already: Consider computer games, they started out with pong, space invaders, snake and other simple games. Computer games have become massively more advanced, meenwhile mobile phones have gone through the phase of having these "old classics" are their mainstay of games and now my iPhone can play fully fledged 3D shooters with shader technology and physics engines. It is likely that the next generation of technology will re-invent pong in a whole new way, before reintroducing 3D all over again and making us say wow. Maybe it'll be holograms of some form as these are already in quite an advanced pre-market state of development.

The free exchange of ideas perpetrated by the internet is a large part of the rapid development of technology but the internet is set to get smaller if governments get their way - it is gradually going to become if not more regulated at least more under "control". We may even see ISP's offering "internet packages" of certain sites much like TV channel packages today - which would signal the beginning of the end of the internet's role in the rapid exchange of ideas - but it isn't going to vanish completely any time soon, it'll just be dumbed down a bit.

Online social networking has already started to move us away from a "world" view of the internet to a more closed "friends" view of the internet, and the view is likely to get smaller as time goes by until technology no longer grants freedom against the state, we all saw how social networking played it's part in civil unrest in Iran earlier this year - and how Iran fought back against it with sweeping blocks and civilian control measures.

It's not just the shape of the web that will change, but the applications too will be greatly different. We're going to see much more ajax use and with it sites that respond and act in a very different way... Page refreshes will gradually become a thing of the past and page content will be refreshed more and more at the div level - this has already started to happen, and the introduction of Google Wave is likely to accelerate the mass deployment of this existing technique. Wave itself isn't anything miraculous - I wrote my own Wave'esque type backbone in 1 day a few weeks back - what it is however is a masterpiece of applying modern web design techniques to old problems, and kick starting the masses of web developers to work and think in a different way.

My last prediction for the future of technology in 10 years time is that the widespread use of Internet Explorer and it's lack of an auto-update will still be stunting the development of the web...

End users may not appreciate this that much, particularly those that moved on from IE6 a decade or so ago, but IE6 still represents 8% of the paying customers for e-commerce websites and that is too big a market share to ignore. Consequently, every e-commerce web page out there still has to be written to support a web browser that was deprecated a decade ago.

When the shackles of the past are finaly lost by IE including an auto-update feature (a concept which is an absolute pre-requisite on ANY and ALL online projects and any sensible software developer will introduce at first public releases of an online project), and in the 20 years it will take IE users to install new systems with said version of IE that updates itself, then finaly the protocols behind the internet can start to move forward at the same pace as other technologies.

For years web developers have dreamed of 3D. Did you know your graphics card isn't even capable of rendering a 2D display any more? It's all done under emulation on a 3D canvas - and yet the internet still does not have a universal way of addressing 3D space!

In 10 years time IE6, or possibly, 7 8 9 10 11 or IE 12 will still be blighting web developers, but in 30 years or so the web will start accelerating it's development massively when Microsoft finaly gets it's act together and stops thwarting it's progress.
I hope in ten years internet security programs become too difficult/time consuming to hack. I got anally befriended by nasty computer virus last week and now my comp is fkd :{
Quote from flymike91 :I hope in ten years internet security programs become too difficult/time consuming to hack. I got anally befriended by nasty computer virus last week and now my comp is fkd :{

Not for as long as the internet is free, people will be free to abuse it, and the problem with people - as opposed to a person - is that invariably any group of people includes a number of ... cartographers.
Quote from rich uk :Your all a figment of my imagination anyway. when i turn my back none of you exist

That's just what I expected you to say to try and convince me that you are real.. But I am onto you, and your cat, Mr Shroedinger.
Quote from becky rose :but i am onto you, and your cat, mr shroedinger.

THINGS WILL HAVE COME TO A PRETTY PASS, BECKY, IF I DID NOT KNOW WHETHER A THING WAS DEAD OR ALIVE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND LOOK. a
It will be great. The camera in my phone will be amazing and computer games will be so good that I will get rid of my social life and just do the same shit that I would do otherwise, but I will do it on some kind of multimedia device rather than doing it in real life.
We will be like all the fattys from WallE FAT LIVING IN SPACE BRAINWASHED BY COMPUTERS!

WE MUST REBEL NOW!
Quote from Shotglass :THINGS WILL HAVE COME TO A PRETTY PASS, BECKY, IF I DID NOT KNOW WHETHER A THING WAS DEAD OR ALIVE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND LOOK.

Excellent quoting there
Depends if we will have a major scale war/cold war again in the next 10 years. Sadly usually that improves technology quite a bit.
If Mr.Scawen will survive that, we will possibly drive our favourite combo via mind while sleeping. Or while being seated in the bathroom.
#66 - Vain
Kids will be playing first person shooters in augmented reality by pointing their mobile phone's cameras at each other. And they will do it everywhere. And we will complain about it.

Vain
Future technology will never be as spectacular as u expect it to be

Technology evolves gradually so u hardly notice it.

Once every decade or so there will be certain groundbreaking inventions tho.
Like the internet or mobile phones, but these also need years to grow and people get used to them as they are growing.
Quote from Shotglass :THINGS WILL HAVE COME TO A PRETTY PASS, BECKY, IF I DID NOT KNOW WHETHER A THING WAS DEAD OR ALIVE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND LOOK. a

I don't know the reference you are making, could you enlighten me please.
Quote from Fastwalker :Technology evolves gradually so u hardly notice it.

Gradually, but still pretty fast and consistently. I only have to think back to when I bought my first hard drive, it was thirty times larger than the drive in the PC I had at the time. That felt like a huge jump.
Having just upgraded again, some 12 years later, I now have three orders of magnitude more storage than I did back then (post upgrade). I would have struggled to believe that a decade ago.

If you only compare to what we had a year ago technology doesn't seem to more that much. Compare across more significant, yet still short, periods of time, and you'll see things are moving very fast indeed.
#70 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :It is a fact that right now half of what a student studying in a technology related course learns in their first year at university is out of date in their third year, and the rate of technological progress is at this time still increasing exponentially - it is not slowing down, technological progress is exploding.

Disagree - no-one will learn anything "cutting edge" in their first year of a degree.
Quote from Jakg :Disagree - no-one will learn anything "cutting edge" in their first year of a degree.

I didn't make that up, I was quoting from memory - i'll try to find the source later in the week if I feel motivated enough.
Quote from Becky Rose :I don't know the reference you are making, could you enlighten me please.

are you honestly going to tell me that youve never read any discworld novels?
Quote from Shotglass :are you honestly going to tell me that youve never read any discworld novels?

ah. That explains the caps, although looking at it on laptop rather than my phone I now see you've gone to great lengths to style it too - which I didn't see at first. I see, ok, well moving along from my great shame of utterly missing a Discworld quote... I've pretty much read them all too, which is no average feet for somebody who can't read. (admittedly for me it's a little easier on account of the ability to read).
Quote from Becky Rose :(admittedly for me it's a little easier on account of the ability to read).

We knew that, hence your ability to post a coherent answer or you've been exceptionally lucky up until this point on not going off topic.

Quote from Bob Smith :I'm on a much more level playing field with other guys, and I'm just stuck with the age old problem of convincing them to sleep with me.

Should of gone into the EMS field mate, the "I've delivered a baby" line is ****ing gold! (No pun intended.)
Quote from Becky Rose :I now see you've gone to great lengths to style it too

i even had to type it twice too thanks to the forum converting all caps posts into all lower case
sueprisingly increasing the font size by one works quite well for faking small caps and doesnt change the line weights at all (with my browser settings anyway) something that sadly all of my discworld prints get utterly wrong (hint never read anything on typography it will ruin all books youre going to read from there on to all enternity)

What will Technology be like in 10 years?
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG