The online racing simulator
My Own - Deformable Tire Simulation
(31 posts, started )
Quote from wheel4hummer :I was thinking about something else a little earlier, the effects of over/under inflation on tires. The way the center of the tread comes up is what I was trying to grasp. When the sidewalls deform, they bend. So, the part of the sidewall that is on the rim cannot move (not easily at least) because it's fixed to the wheel. This means that the sidewall must bend, as the tread cannot be stretched. As a result, the tread ends up being pushed together by the sidewall, causing it to bend upwards in the center. Also, when the you increase the vertical load on the tire, I think it would then result in similar deformation to lowering the pressure.

What about runflats?
Hmm, actually I misread your post. I read it three times over, but after examining the picture more I see that the effect, could, be noticeable. Although as I did say, it would require a change to the spring system which I do not think I am updating at this time until I find additional features I want to add to the tire itself. I think as a base Deformable Tire it is pretty much what I was aiming for.
It could be they have a lot of understeer built into the suspension (hard front, soft rear) combined with a relatively high center of gravity.
Those video's are quite interesting. I saw BMW clip before, but the under-cam was great, especially watching the tire lift off the ground during hard cornering.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Are there any books or online papers you can suggest for teaching myself how to model this kind of force-constrained mesh?

Did you have a chance to get it and look it over? I'd be interested in feed back since it's my first, and currently only, real technical article.

My Own - Deformable Tire Simulation
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG