The online racing simulator
Multi monitor Full screen?
(8 posts, started )
Hi,
i tried today to play lfs with 3 monitors with the lfs multi monitor support,...and it works fine, the lines break correct from one monitor to the other....but:
I have low FPS, it lags pretty much (although LFS says i have 70fps^^)
I think the problem is, that I'm playing in window mode, and my graphic card cant handle that much.

I tried SoftTH once (fullscreen) and had great fps, but i didn't have a straight line from one monitor to the other, because monitors have different height. And, i couldnt find the right resolution.

Is there a way to play lfs with fullscreen with the in game supported multi monitor? or does anyone know a good configuration for SoftTH?

Some important information:
Displays: 17" 1280*1024 (left side) 22" 1680*1050 (middle) 17" 1280*1024 (right side)

Graphic:
2x 8800GTS (only one works when multi monitor )
intel q6600, 4gb ram...etc etc
I can't help completely, but I am sure SoftTH can support this; I know I read somewhere in the ReadMe or the SoftTH page that you can have it as different resolutions for the side monitors.

SoftTH would be the option for you though, since a window stretching like that is really trusting the operating system a bit too much... And that is why it is slow.

Why does only one of your graphics cards work in Fullscreen, wouldn't one do the rendering and the other only be used for copying an image to the third screen? (Or is that what you mean by only one card works in Fullscreen mode?)

Good luck.
You can do with the SoftTH I'm sure
If you stretch the window over multiple GPUs the game is rendered in software (afaik) which is why it lags and you have a low fps.

And LFS does not have a "real" support for multiple GPUs. LFS only has some tricks up it's sleeve when it detects a wide resolution. But you have to use something external to make it use a triple monitor resolution.

You could use SoftTH, but as you said your monitors are physically different heights. SoftTH can't change the physical dimensions of your monitors and it doesn't compensate for the height difference (not at the moment atleast).
Thank you for your replies.
I have 2 monitors on the 1st gpu and one on the 2nd, so with softth, i think, one gpu does the 3 images and the 2nd does the rendering, as you both said. (im not very good at that )

So i have to do it with softth, but i cant find a good configuration. My 3 displays have a width of 4240px and height of 1050 looks ok.
But in LFS, it doesnt show me 4240px, only 4340*1050 or 40xx*1200 (I don't know exact values, since im not at home atm)

4340*1050 seems nearly good, except i have 1cm more on all display so chat doesnt look good.

Anyone got an idea how to change it?

ps: my os is win 7 64bit if matters^^
I have the same resolutions as you. With SoftTH it shows up as 4304x1050 in LFS. It's a bit odd, but if you take a screenshot it will show up as 4240x1050, which is the correct res. And I don't see there being any missing image or anything.

You have to adjust your screen widths (options - view) in LFS to make the image to be spread out correctly between the displays. I have mine as 1314 1681 1314. Those don't add up, but that's the best I could find by trial and error. There is one vertical strip of 1 pixel I can't seem to get rid of. It's either on the right edge of the mid monitor or left edge of the right monitor. I prefer the latter hence the 1681.
what OS are you using?

Windows Vista and 7 do not support full screen-multi-monitor 3d acceleration.

in XP i always had the experience where only 1 monitor could be used at a time for 3d acceleration, i could drag a window'd game from 1 to another, but if i were to try to use 2 it would appear to drop down to just a couple FPS.
Quote from erfrag :what OS are you using?
Windows Vista and 7 do not support full screen-multi-monitor 3d acceleration.

I am using Windows 7. But you need to use SoftTH or Ati's 5000-series card with it's Eyefinity or Matrox's TH2G. They all are utilities that trick the game to seeing only one big monitor and through some clever bits show the image on all three screens.

Also in Windows XP you can use horizontal span from the GPU drivers to play on two monitors.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG