The online racing simulator
wheel button mapping
(7 posts, started )
wheel button mapping
Has this come up before? I have a Momo with 6 buttons, 2 paddle shifters, and a gear stick. I use the gear stick for gears, the paddle shifters for left/right views and have the horn and pit road speed limiter mapped to 2 of the buttons. The remaining 4 buttons I've mapped with the Logitech profiler to some of the Fkey chat. In LFS I don't see where you can map the F keys to wheel buttons. I mention this because this weekend in a league race, my profiler crapped out at the start of the race and I lost the button mapping and my force feedback. The buttons didn't matter much to me but I had to run 40 laps without my force feedback. That was not fun as I had no feel of what the car was doing. The wheel didn't just go limp, there was still some centering force on it. I assumed it would have just been using the windows control panel for the force settings (which is the same as what I have the profiler set at) but it didn't. I turned the force in LFS up to 175% (normally 35-60%) and still had nothing. If I could map my chat F keys to the wheel buttons in LFS, I would have no reason to use the profiler anymore, thus it would not quit working midrace again. Almost everything else it appears can be mapped to buttons except for the chat.
There was talk of Scawen making a shift option, thus doubling the effective buttons on your wheel.

So you can have button 1 and shift+button 1 do different things.

I don't know why Scawen dropped it, or even if he has. Maybe it's gonna be ready for the next patch. God (Scawen) knows...

I also hope that we eventually get full customisation of keys. 99.9% of all good titles out there have this (flight sims especially). That way people will funny controllers, extra buttons or whatever can make the game perfect for them.

If the key mapping is done on one long screen (ala Pacific Fighters) then it also acts like a key reference, and would [hopefully] bring an end to all the stupid 'how do I talk in-game (or use x feature)' threads.
Check out the free program JoyToKey http://www.electracode.com/4/j ... y%20English%20Version.htm you can select a button to remap all other buttons. One can create more mappings than I could ever keep track of. Unlike the one shift key (that has to be held down) available in the Wingman profiler, JoyToKey has multiples and they stick with the key press.
#4 - X-Ter
Yes, it's a really good prog. After I found it I no longer use the software from logitech. And it also let's me use my old microsoft joystick as a sequential gear shifter :eclipsee_
Quote from tristancliffe :There was talk of Scawen making a shift option, thus doubling the effective buttons on your wheel.

So you can have button 1 and shift+button 1 do different things.

you can already do that with the logitech profiler (don't know about the other wheels).

And about the problem of the threadstarter. I don't see why mapping buttons to the wheel would help if you lose your FFB.

Anyway, i don't need such an option, the profiler works fine for me. If it's implemented, i think it should be done by the cfg file (like CS e.g.), because the menu in LFS is already complicated enough, and if you have to map all functions first, it would scare newbies even more
Try rFactor, and you know what i mean
Quote from inCogNito :you can already do that with the logitech profiler (don't know about the other wheels).

And about the problem of the threadstarter. I don't see why mapping buttons to the wheel would help if you lose your FFB.

I think you misunderstood my post. I have the shift-F1-8 mapped to my wheel through the profiler. My force feedback is set through the profiler (LFS is not the only racing game I have). Here's the important part: My profiler craps out for some reason then I loose my force feedback. In a league race you can't just leave, reopen LFS and wait for the next race. I use the profiler mainly for the button mapping to chat as you can not map the Function keys in LFS. If I could map them in LFS, I wouldn't have to use the profiler and could just use the windows control panel to adjust my wheel force feedback settings.

rwkeating, I will try the joy2key program. I have another similar program I've used to make a shifter out of my joystick as well. Only it didn't work well for the shifter as it was like a continuous on/off pressing of the keys and my transmission in LFS would pop into neutral and back occasionally. That has nothing to do with mapping keys for chat, just mentioning that I've used a similar program. I'll try joy2key and maybe I'll even be able to use my shifter again.
Have you tried to press Shift-C (i think) to reinitialise the controller? I have lost FF a few times and this helped, also during races....

I use Joy 2 Key, too, I also have a joypad controller attached to my wheel to change F11/F12 (and some other) settings without touching the keyboard. It is also possible to map the keyboard c to the shifter buttons and so have a quasi automatic button clutch. Only thing is, you have to watch out not to shift too fast...

wheel button mapping
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG