The online racing simulator
Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )

Poll : Which operating system do you use for LFS?

Closed since :
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Linux
Windows XP x64
Macintosh
Windows ME
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Server Longhorn (2008)
Server 2003
Could the devs not of gotten these stats from the user-agent field? And I understand that can be spoofed, but still. Also, you should do this again in 3 to 6 months what with pretty much most people switching over too Windows 7 or a combonation of OSX with Windows 7 / Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine.

Quote from ORION :Im really glad that ME has 0 votes, still... so there might be still some tiny glimpse of hope in the world :P LOL

Damn Ballmer Peak.

This is why "Apple uses automated schnapps IVs." Coincidently, the golden BAC seems to be around .1337 and you really can't just give a group of developers a case of Johnny Walker Blue and tell them to get cracking!
I primarily use the latest stable Ubuntu x64 (Karmic Koala at this time). For LFS I use Windows XP x64 but will definitely switch over to playing on Ubuntu when it is feasible.
Too bad its only 800 voters, what i would suggest that there is an ingame vote thing, when you show server list, before that is comes a vote. same as here. But then there will be atleast 10k voters within 2 weeks or so
I suspect the percent would be the same.
It does show at least that almost every single lfs user has at least dx9 hardware (hint hint scawen)
Quote from aroX123 :Too bad its only 800 voters, what i would suggest that there is an ingame vote thing, when you show server list, before that is comes a vote. same as here. But then there will be atleast 10k voters within 2 weeks or so

Some Valve games have automatic stuff sent (with the consent of the user) so all you have to do is hit "OK" and information about your hardware and drivers gets sent in for very accurate data logging. That would be the idea solution if a) there were more people around to do extra stuff like this and b) if it really mattered for anything.

See here: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
Win7 64bit
Quote from bunder9999 :holy wow, when did nvidia and intel get such huge stats? the last time i saw this, they were still using the old format, and it said that things were pretty much even between nvidia/ati / intel/amd...

Well, it's always been like that (ever since I had first seen this survey a very long time ago, also when they were still using the old format). Actually, nVidia seems to be losing a bit of their public recently (mostly because of the cheaper price of the Radeon 4800's). If I'm not mistaken, the graphs earlier said nVidia had more people using its cards than there are now. Though I don't remember how much people were using Intel before, it has always had the majority of people too AFAIK.
-------------- win7 64bit---------------------
Quote from Shadowww :cba to look, but is it yet another repack of ubuntu?

Can't you read?!
It's based on Slackware, and it uses live-scripts, but it isn't based on Slax, it can be installed. The unique thing is that live scripts continue to be used on the installed system, so you can use software that isn't installed in the root partition, because your root is AUFS-mounted. The screenshots are from my personal system, which is using Gnome, but it comes with KDE 3 with Tastymenu. The new release is going to come with Gnome. Also, the system in the live cd is separated in a few modules, like base, xorg, devel, etc., like in Slax, but it's totally independent from Slax /except from the Live scripts, which are modified to be able to use a partition for / instead of modules only/. It also contains a home-made config tool. And of course, it contains slapt-get and gslapt, which allows you dependency-supporting automatic package downloading/installing.

See the news section for more technical info...
The new release will be probably the only Slackware-based distro that includes PulseAudio and NetworkManager, and one of the first distros to come with initng.

Actually, the app that you were talking about (for the easy distro creation) isn't using Linux-Live if I'm not mistaken.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :Can't you read?!

I can but it looked too ubuntyish to interest me.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :It's based on Slackware, and it uses live-scripts, but it isn't based on Slax, it can be installed.

Slax can be installed too.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :The unique thing is that live scripts continue to be used on the installed system, so you can use software that isn't installed in the root partition, because your root is AUFS-mounted.

Actually that's not unique thing, and it's very unusable.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :The new release is going to come with Gnome.

Good choice
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :Also, the system in the live cd is separated in a few modules, like base, xorg, devel, etc.

That's pretty dumb, e.g. if you don't want SOME packages from devel group, you can't remove them.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :It also contains a home-made config tool.

Can't see any point, there already are over 9000 config tools.
Quote from Ivo Georgiev :The new release will be probably the only Slackware-based distro that includes PulseAudio and NetworkManager, and one of the first distros to come with initng.

Oh god, PulseAudio? That's really horrible thing
Slax can be frugally installed or with an addon tool... That's slow, and there is no point of the frugal install, except to "save your changes".
AUFS _was_ unstable It's used now from hundreds of distros and there are no problems...
PulseAudio... test the new Fedora.. or read more. I think it's not going to create so much problems any more.
If you say that from your Ubuntu experience, take notice that Ubuntu applies a lot of patches, and generally, it's PulseAudio implementation is a "little bit" shitty.

And the config tool.. I use it by the installation, too. Something like YAST.
Ignore him Ivo, all Shadowwww wants to do is rile people up for his own sick amusement. PulseAudio is pretty good in my experience (even with my shitty Ubuntu experience), it makes things better than it has been in all the time I've used Linux.

If you enjoy your distro, don't let him and his sore vagina make you upset, it's all he tries to do around here.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :PulseAudio is pretty good in my experience (even with my shitty Ubuntu experience), it makes things better than it has been in all the time I've used Linux.

I bet you don't have onboard sound card.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :(...) all Shadowwww wants to do is rile people up for his own sick amusement (...)

Pot... kettle... black?

Quote from Shadowww :I bet you don't have onboard sound card.

I have my Onboard, Realtek soundcard in my Macbook Pro.

I'll take my money thru Paypal, kthx.
Windows 7 for the win. Framerate is faster by about 5/10fps on full screen over vista and xp (for me anyway) but one thing.... anti-aliasing of any kind on fullscreen lfs makes me see like 15fps max. This never happened on xp or vista and yes I have all the correct drivers for my graphics card
i think more the 50+ fps on seven vs vista, i say that because i was seeing around 300 (maybe 200, cant remember what hundered) on vista offline, and with seven i see 350 (or 250, i forget what one ) online
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I have my Onboard, Realtek soundcard in my Macbook Pro.

I have Realtek onboard card too, and audio struggles with PulseAudio.

Doesn't using ALSA.

:3
Sorry for the offtopic, but what do you mean under "DOESN't using ALSA'... PulseAudio is always using ALSA as a back-end, except if you aren't running it on Windows (see the PulseAudio website.. it's possible to use it under Windows).
And with or without PulseAudio, you are still using ALSA. PulseAudio is not an ALSA replacement, it's an audio "proxy".
And BTW I tested PulseAudio on my old PC (onboard) and the new one (also onboard audio card) and it had no problems, despite the heavy testing.
Uhm, I meant "It doesn't struggles when I only use ALSA". Without PulseA.
Quote from pik_d :Some Valve games have automatic stuff sent (with the consent of the user) so all you have to do is hit "OK" and information about your hardware and drivers gets sent in for very accurate data logging. That would be the idea solution if a) there were more people around to do extra stuff like this and b) if it really mattered for anything.

See here: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

That is pretty cool in a way to see a rough idea.

I guess you can at least note that gamers gernally never get into win vista and that the steam users at least prefer NVIDIA.

I think in a year or so when you check this page most people will have upgrade to win 7 and the nvidia/ati 'battle' will be more equal. I'm running it on my laptop (single 2.2ghz cpu, 1gb ram) and everything appart from games run great with win 7.

It's quite interesting to note that it's intel with nvidia and amd with ati as both processor/cpu % seem to match up about the same.

I likes stats. As long as people don't try and do bad things with them.
Raw stats are interesting and often revealing.

Intepretations/evaluations of stats are pulled out of the arse of whoever has an opinion to prove.

Operating System Poll
(226 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG