The online racing simulator
Nissan GTR huge repair bill for tiny damage.
(40 posts, started )
#26 - senn
Wait until the motor needs that fancy plasma bore reline or whatever it is..
can't wait to see the pricing on that.
Quote :http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127 ... i-did-20.html#post1204768

Total inc VAT £11723.81

Labour £3323.50
Paint £465.00
B5344-JF30a Actuator Assy £1231.00
B5345-JF30a Actuator Assy £1425.00
GNP102 Plates £429.45
Fnt Bumber £1510.00
Energy absorber £179.34
Hing hood assemby £188.00
Finisher Front £226.22
Duct fender £55.03
Duct fender £55.03
Seal Hood frt £71.53
Pedestrian ECU £1350.00
Recovery + Transportation £130.00

Couple pages earlier another user had called up Nissan dealership for prices on Hood actuators: B5344-JF30A £685.07 and B5345-JF30A £414.12

Seems like someone is making a nice profit with spare parts.
I would just leave it like it is, doesn't cost you a pound.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I would just leave it like it is, doesn't cost you a pound.

Could make it difficult to get it insured.
Quote from Crommi :Could make it difficult to get it insured.

which saves you money for not having an insurance at all =P

Meh, it just seems a bit unfair.
Quote from Jakg :No - EU rules says there has to be x gap between the bonnet and the engine...

70mm all over the front
Quote from Jakg :No - EU rules says there has to be x gap between the bonnet and the engine

As far as I know it's the Euro NCAP test not a regulation from the EU, which you non-european islanders always like to blame for everything. You actually started the whole NCAP nonsense.

It's not mandatory, but not meeting the gap will lower your score dramatically. Why do you need a good score for a sport car, I've got no idea. Maybe it's the dishwasher image Nissan wants to achieve with their whole product line.
Quote from Blackout :Why do you need a good score for a sport car, I've got no idea.

Because you're more likely to drive it fast, and therefor, more likely to crash. Safety is a selling point.
Quote from jibber :Because you're more likely to drive it fast, and therefor, more likely to crash. Safety is a selling point.

Hardly applies to this particular system though, does it? I mean anyone who's going to drive fast(er than allowed) through an area with pedestrians clearly doesn't care at all about their safety
Wasn't my point. Top speed, power, etc. is a selling point aswell for sportscars... does that mean you'll be driving through a village with 250km/h?
The safer the car the more accidents (and hence more injuries) there will be. Sell all cars with no crumple zones, other than your legs, and a spike on the steering wheel and everyone will drive more carefully.

"Safety" is bad for road cars in my opinion.
I'm not so sure about that.

Some years ago, another driver didn't pay attention when crossing my lane (he was coming from the opposite direction), thought he could squeeze through quickly, but there was no room. As a result, he crashed into my car.

I see your point about all the safety features and their effect of giving you a false feeling of "safety". However, i was quite happy to sit in a more or less safe car when the other guy crashed into me. Now imagine it's not another car, but a lorry that is crashing into you... i'm pretty sure all those safety features might help you to survive the crash.
Cars very rarely survive impacts with lorries. There is only so much one tonne of metal can stand against 30 tonnes plus.

In your example, had both your cars been less safe and/or fitted with steering wheel spikes, he wouldn't have 'tried to squeeze through', but waited for a bigger space or for you to signal that he could go.

Sure, it won't eliminate crashes, but it would drastically improve overall road safety. Less injuries and deaths is a good thing right? It won't be accomplished by making drivers feel invincible or giving them the feeling that they can get away with anything. Now they know they can hit pedestrians without quite as much risk of injury to that pedestrian the idea of looking out for other people will fall further and further from their mind as things like iPod playlists become more important than accident avoidance.

Same in motorsport - the cars as so safe that they can get away with doing stupid things. So they do stupid things knowing they'll [probably] get away with it.
As i've said, i see your point, and basically agree. What i'm not so sure about is if people would really drive more carefully. People generally drive like brainless idiots, and i'm sure most would continue to do so, even with a big metal spike in front of their chest/face.
Tristan, your logic is sadly a tad faulted by statistics.
In germany, 08 was the year with the least fatalities since the fifties. And it was the first time ever there were less than 1 person dead per 10.000 cars in traffic.
Since the 70ies, the death toll on roads is sinking constantly, despite the streets getting more and more crowded.
Part of that phonomenon is that *gasp* making cars safer actually makes them safer! Who would've thought?

EDIT: I still do think that most bulbous pedestrian safety cars look horrible.

Nissan GTR huge repair bill for tiny damage.
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG