The online racing simulator
Nissan GTR huge repair bill for tiny damage.
(40 posts, started )
Ugly car is ugly.

Read the proper post, the silly pedestrian protection system apparently blew up the bonnet and they have to replace the ECU and hinges too.
#3 - Fuse5
Quote from Luke.S :I saw this on another forum and found it disgusting. How can they get away with charging 11k for that. Nissan need to fix their pricing.

How can they get away with that? Just watch.
This is how it works, really. You don't buy a high-end sound system and then expect to pay a fiver for the repairs when a wire goes kaput.
And it is rather naive to somehow relate this to the brand, that why the hell is Nissan doing this.
#4 - 5haz
The whole business is a license to print money.
As the son of a Nissan employee, for me £11,000 is over the top but not as amazingly overpriced as you think. Every part has to come from Japan, which would be long hauled along with export cars. A new bonnet fully painted and fitted with the super pedestrian hinge mabob isn't cheap at all, although it's very Nissan (and stupid may I add) to have to replace the BCU (I have a feeling it'll be the BCU rather than the ECU.)

EDIT: I've actually decided that £11k is amazingly overpriced.
We will see on the web. (How to disable pedestrian protection on nissan GTR)
#7 - 5haz
To be honest if you hit a pedestrian at any more than 30mph, a pop up bonnest isn't going to help them much.
And we know why the gtr has such a fat arse. The unlucky ped gets bounced over the roof by the hood. and a crash mat deploys out the back so he has a soft landing.
Quote from Fuse5 :You don't buy a high-end sound system and then expect to pay a fiver for the repairs when a wire goes kaput.

I would expect to pay £5 if that's what the wire cost. I wouldn't expect to replace the whole sound system.
Whats the deal with the bonnet popping up at the back, presumably to stop pedestrians landing on your windscreen and the bonnet tilt makes em just roll right off before they get that far up the bonnet?

Why must this pedestrian safety system be ridiculously overly complex to fix in the first place, i mean, from what i can see it is on a hinge system which is deployed via a small pneumatic ram each side, so why not just make it so it can be clicked back shut again, pneumatic rams shouldnt be nackered once they have been used once surely, how can they be, at worst all that should be needed is for them to be re-pressurised to work again, so why not make them refillable then.

And as for a new ECU being required, that just seems like total b0llocks TBH, thats like saying that anything that causes an ECU fault, such as an airbag sensor or something, means a new ECU is needed, why the hell for!?!
Apparently it works like an airbag and has the explosive stuff in it to make it pop up.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Whats the deal with the bonnet popping up at the back, presumably to stop pedestrians landing on your windscreen and the bonnet tilt makes em just roll right off before they get that far up the bonnet?

I suppose it makes the transition from bonnet to windscreen smoother, thus reducing the chance of the pedestrian smashing into/through the windscreen.

It appears to be a sort of snow plough, but for pedestrians
New sport. Kick Nissan GTR's as hard as you can and leg it. Top Gear are gonna be talking about this :P
Quote from Luke.S :New sport. Kick Nissan GTR's as hard as you can and leg it. Top Gear are gonna be talking about this :P

Don't give me silly ideas lol.
lol knowing you, you'd try it and get nicked
Nah, im a bit too sensible myself, but just imagine, find a young tearaway, pay him a tenner to do it and then film it, youtube GOLD!
Quote from Crashgate3 :I would expect to pay £5 if that's what the wire cost. I wouldn't expect to replace the whole sound system.

DIY then
Quote from danthebangerboy :Nah, im a bit too sensible myself, but just imagine, find a young tearaway, pay him a tenner to do it and then film it, youtube GOLD!

go on I dare you.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I would expect to pay £5 if that's what the wire cost. I wouldn't expect to replace the whole sound system.

Precisely the point, only needing to replace the parts that are actually physically damaged due to an accident.

According to how this story panned out then it's like saying that getting a puncture means you need a new wheel and tyre and special wheelnuts that cost £400 each, and a new suspension leg and steering rack too which makes the whole bill run into thousands in total due to maybe £150 worth of actual damaged parts, it really is laughable.
well knowing nissan. (I say no more)
Quote from Luke.S :go on I dare you.

PM me the loacation of a GTR locally then, as there isn't anyone in soham rich enough to own one as far as i can see lol.
Yet the same repair in America would likely have only cost about 1000 dollars, maybe less, the problem appears to be overenthusiastic product valuation by Nissan UK, who seem to have mistaken their car for something desireable.

As for the cost of import, don't Nissan have a factory in Sunderland? Seems awefully ridiculous to charge import costs from Japan, especially when any parts sent are shipping in containers already full of cars so it really doesn't cost very much to send them at all...

They've shed 1000 jobs this year in the UK, boosted sales, and invested £230 million in new plant facilities. Most of the capital for which was likely raised out of the parts to replace this pedestrian catapult system.

I guess I won't be buying a Nissan any time soon.
Love how Luke S picks random posts from the link and posts them here as if he just thought of the comment...
#24 - Jakg
Quote from danthebangerboy :Whats the deal with the bonnet popping up at the back, presumably to stop pedestrians landing on your windscreen and the bonnet tilt makes em just roll right off before they get that far up the bonnet?

No - EU rules says there has to be x gap between the bonnet and the engine, so that if a pedestrian hits it the bonnet can crumple rather than going straight into a solid strut or something. The problem is that cars that do this look...ugly, frankly, and it's very hard to get something "sleek" like the GTR to get that.

Solution is simple - in the event of an accident, the bonnet lifts up giving crumple space.

The stuff needs replacing in the same way when your airbag goes off you need a new airbag / wheel etc...

And yes, £11k is ****ing ridiculous. My car cost more than that new ffs.
Quote from mrodgers :Love how Luke S picks random posts from the link and posts them here as if he just thought of the comment...

actually i did think of it my self

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG