The online racing simulator
Unlocking on other computers?
(9 posts, started )
Am I right in thinking that I'm not allowed to use my licence on another computer that isn't my own? I wanted to install LFS on a mates PC which is obviously at another address. I believe this is forbidden but I just to check if I can actually do this.

I've read this bit and understand that it can only be installed on a LAN

Quote :
You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

Unlocking on his PC would be for my own use aswell as his. It's just he has a better setup than I do
I guess you both could play but he would have to use your account.

I dont really know to be honest though
#3 - SamH
One of my friends has unlocked it on his girlfriend's PC, at her house. Strictly speaking I think this is probably against the rules, but he asked my advice on whether or not it was appropriate.

Because his girlfriend is about as interested in LFS as I am in watching sandstone being wind-eroded, I said I thought it was probably okay. The 2nd PC isn't his, but the installation of LFS on the 2nd PC would only be used by him when he was staying over at his girlfriend's. Also, they're moving in together in a month or so, so whatever stretch of the licence agreement was going on before would rubber-band back into normality soon.

The most important point is that you would not be able to play online with your friend, because only one licence can be online at any one time. If you wanted to race your friend, you'd have to take your hardware over to his for a LAN party. This IS allowed, I think, in LFS rules and regs. I don't think there's anywhere where it specifies that the 2nd PC has to belong to the licencee.

[EDIT] Hmm.. I'm still thinking on it. Whatever the licence agreement specifically says (I don't know exactly. It's a while since I read it), I think you're supposed to LOCK that 2nd install when you leave.

The best thing to do would be to take your kit over there, impress the guy and deny him the ability to keep an unlocked copy on his machine, thus encouraging him to buy his own licence so you could both play online.

If this fails, maybe try hypnosis, or threats of physical harm, if he won't buy a licence
If it's at another address, then you shouldn't, no, but we can't actually stop you.
However if he goes online with your account, you won't be able to go online. So perhaps not the smartest move if he gets to like it...
you can install and unlock LFS on more than one computers!
if it is against the rules, I'm not sure!

but if u do that, you only can play LFS online on one of those PCs!
Quote :3. Unlock Rules and Regulations
3.1 You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.
3.2 You will initially be able to unlock LFS S2 or later versions 3 times. This allows you to unlock on two computers and keep one spare unlock.

Leads me to believe you are allowed to install and unlock LFS on one (1) other PC, for LAN play only. Anything else would be violating the license agreement.
Technically in most licensing systems, you are allowed to use the software on any computer you want, you just can not be using on 2 separate computers at the same time. For example, I'm licensed to use MS Office at work. If I installed Office at home for personal use, that would be illegal as it is work that has the license for me. But, I am able to install Office at home if it is for work use and I can not be in 2 places at once using it. Or something like that.

This leads to my point. I think with the licensing of LFS, I feel it should be ok to use it where ever you are. Ie, if you have a copy at your house and a copy at a girlfriend's house, it's ok as long as both are NOT being used at the same time. Note I said "I feel it should be ok..." The actual licensing doesn't describe it this way, but I paid for LFS, I should be able to use it myself where ever I am no matter what computer I'm using.

So, if I was to unlock LFS on a friend's computer for my own use when visiting, what I would do is move the folder (whatever one it is with the licensing stuff) onto a thumbdrive or equivilant and take it with me. Then perhaps the original folder from the zip file could be rewritten to the LFS directory and my friend would still have LFS in demo form to use for himself. Next time I visited, I could drop my folder back in and it would be unlocked again without using up my unlocks. Would this work? As long as the computer didn't change with a Windows reinstall or something? This would eliminate having to unlock then relock back to demo every time I visited.
#8 - bbman
Think of that before installing LfS on your friends computer: If HE does something stupid, it's YOUR name and YOUR license that's blamed...
Cheers fellas.

He's gonna get his own licence just incase anything were to happen to mine

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG