The online racing simulator
Cars disappear while spectate - Win7 x86
Hi !

I have this problem since I have moved to Win7 from XP. I connect to the server, I can see people racing, but after a few minutes all cars disappear. (sometimes I see the lag indicator at each car position).
Everything else goes on, I see chat, time is running, I see sector times, even the tires heating up. On the map there is no move.
If I join, everything is fine, no lag at all. (I have been online yesterday for 2 hours).
Problem occours with many versions. I have tried Z, Z18, Z22, Z25 client versions and tried on different host versions. Always the same result.
As a last try I have made a clean Z25 install, but no luck...

System:

- Asus P5B (latest chipset, LAN, audio drivers)
- E6300
- 7600GT (191.07)
- 2GB RAM
- Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (build 7600)

Screenshots:

http://web.t-online.hu/boom001/spectate.jpg
http://web.t-online.hu/boom001/spectate1.jpg
No idea?
Looks like you're not getting any position updates until you join the track.

Random guess: perhaps UDP packets aren't being recieved properly by your system.
There's a key combination I hit by accident occasionally that forces TCP for position packets instead of UDP. No idea what it is though. Failing that, check firewall(s)/router settings etc.
Quote from Degats :Looks like you're not getting any position updates until you join the track.

Random guess: perhaps UDP packets aren't being recieved properly by your system.
There's a key combination I hit by accident occasionally that forces TCP for position packets instead of UDP. No idea what it is though. Failing that, check firewall(s)/router settings etc.

I will check, although I see very low chance, as during the host check I can see UDP hosts as well. Anyhow, thanks for your reply, I give it a chance tonight.
(And I see the cars when I start spectating, they disappear after a while. So if it would be firewall or router issue I guess I would not see them at all while spectating.)
No luck even with switched off firewall. I tried to forward UDP/TCP port 63392 and 29339 on my router, symptom is the same.
Any other ideas are welcome.
The key combo is Ctrl+T.
Quote from Shadowww :The key combo is Ctrl+T.

Thanks, it helps. What can be the root cause as firewall, router, ISP is the same? Why can I not receive UDP packets if using Win7?
(Does not really matter as it works now, just I am interested as we only cured the problem but have not solved it. )
What kind of antivirus do you use?
Quote from Shadowww :What kind of antivirus do you use?

Trend Micro Internet Security 2010. In the firewall config I have allowed LFS.exe UDP/TCP, incoming/outgoing all ports. (I have used the same on XP.)

Edit: To be honest it was the 2009 I used on XP.
#10 - Krya
Well, I'm using Windows 7 too, but ain't got that problem.
Only sometimes when I spectating, I can see the cars but not the road. It happends only a few times.
Quote from boom001 :Trend Micro Internet Security 2010. In the firewall config I have allowed LFS.exe UDP/TCP, incoming/outgoing all ports. (I have used the same on XP.)

Tried running LFS with TrendMicro IS turned off?
Quote from Shadowww :Tried running LFS with TrendMicro IS turned off?

I tried to turn off the firewall part only, but it did not help.
Quote from boom001 :I tried to turn off the firewall part only, but it did not help.

There may be some hidden "anti-hacking" (lol) modules which get disabled only when you disable AV completely.
I tried to turn off AV and firewall as well. No problem. Turned on AV, no problem. Turned on firewall, no problem.
Quit game, switch on everything, join to host and keep spectating, no problem. X-Files. I will try after reboot and keep everything turned on.

Edit: After reboot, and AV + firewall on, it happened again. When the cars disappeared I oushed CTRL+T and saw them immediately.
I keep on trying to find out the root cause.
Quote from boom001 :Trend Micro Internet Security 2010. In the firewall config I have allowed LFS.exe UDP/TCP, incoming/outgoing all ports. (I have used the same on XP.)

Did you check the windows firewall?? firewall of vista/win7 is much better then the one which comes with XP. Although still absolutely not good enough to call it a real firewall, it actually does block sometimes traffic when it should.
If you are using 3rd vendor firewall, make sure the windows firewall is turned off.
It is switched off.
i have had several people ask me how i have an invisible car. they only see the driver... now i know its not just them/me.
Quote from erfrag :i have had several people ask me how i have an invisible car. they only see the driver... now i know its not just them/me.

I think that's a different issue. When I join I see everybody (cars) and they see me (car as well). Cars (and drivers) disappear while I am spectating and receive the positions in UDP packets.
The problem is "solved" if I switch to TCP by pressing CTRL+T.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG