The online racing simulator
Red and White...
(19 posts, started )

Poll : Red and White Barriers.

Hate them! Need to be fixed.
I enjoy moon missions in my UF1.
Red and White...
I can't believe this hasn't even been looked at yet.

We have barriers on the trackside, the track boundry. You hit them, you bounce off a bit, like reality.
However, if we happen to hit a red and white autocross barrier.. you fly 50 feet into the air?

Why don't the autocross barriers behave in the same way as standard track barriers?

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the red and white barriers are one of LFS's biggest flaws.

I think this would make people who race on autocross/drift/gymkhana layouts much happier, and it would make LFS a much more realistic experience.

I personally have been doing some rallying lately, and alot of the layouts are narrow, with red and white barriers either side. One slight clip of the barrier, and you're off to the moon.

Anyone else find these barriers incredibly annoying when racing AutoX ?
Over 9000!?
Quote from LFSn00b :I thought you knew how to search...

Been discussed over 9000 times. Useless topic.

Why do you insist on following all my posts and criticising me?

Go away please, shoo!
I think they do need to be fixed. They have been fixed in objects mod v2 (making them moveable) but not everyone has that, so it will cause oob errors.

Just one thing, are they plastic or concrete barriers? I would prefer if they used a plastic material so you can break them and scatter them all over the ground. Concrete barriers will leave you with a wrecked car, so that is boring.
Yes we HATE the barriers.. But We dont want Millions of threads..
i made one in 2007... And got flamed it.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :I think they do need to be fixed. They have been fixed in objects mod v2 (making them moveable) but not everyone has that, so it will cause oob errors.

Just one thing, are they plastic or concrete barriers? I would prefer if they used a plastic material so you can break them and scatter them all over the ground. Concrete barriers will leave you with a wrecked car, so that is boring.

They are plastic and filled with water or sand

I don't think they should be breakable for now, the initial impact should be the focus.
#7 - e.M
must be fixed like everything else, someday may be fixed. we all know these kind of problems so no need of same threads over and over again
Well funny that people get annoyed about how many times somthing has been suggested, Who cares.

But yeah I hate the Red and White Barriers, I really hope they will sort it out.
I mean out of all the content they have made and designed for Live for speed, A Red and White Barrier shouldnt be much of a problem.
"This is SPARTA!", says the barrier to the car.
Ahh the barriers.
I love the moon, espacially exploring it with my cute UF 1000. This could never be possible without the greatness of the Red/White Barriers.
i wonder if this might be part of the new physics stuff...
A long time ago, when rev configurations were allowed in the demo, I used to sleep on the blackwood rev backstraight and hit the red barriers that prevent cutting the chicane. Too bad we don't have a moon in LFS.
Quote from Stefani24 :Ahh the barriers.
I love the moon, espacially exploring it with my cute UF 1000. This could never be possible without the greatness of the Red/White Barriers.

Well, but as Brandon tells, can it be that hard to make the barrier work as a solid object? If it behaves like a wall there is no problems at all. I don't know anything about LFS coding, but I can't immagine why it should be hard to make that object "solid"
Quote from The Very End :

Well, but as Brandon tells, can it be that hard to make the barrier work as a solid object? If it behaves like a wall there is no problems at all. I don't know anything about LFS coding, but I can't immagine why it should be hard to make that object "solid"

I imagine it's to do with the fact that they can be placed anywhere, and so the collision detection is handled differently to the walls and other permanent objects.
That and the fact the external collision detection only runs at 100Hz, so at high speed your car can pass quite far through it between cycles, so the resulting opposing force ends up massive*.

* I think.
Can't we just have a moon to land on instead of having the red/white barriers fixed?
Quote from Dajmin :That and the fact the external collision detection only runs at 100Hz, so at high speed your car can pass quite far through it between cycles, so the resulting opposing force ends up massive*.

* I think.

They could do it at 1kHz, 10kHz, and even MHz with no difficulties Has this low frequency to do with online environment? Or just CPU usage?
Quote from jason0075 :Well funny that people get annoyed about how many times somthing has been suggested, Who cares.

Yes. Instead of responding to this thread we should all have created our own threads about the red and white barriers. That would've been a very agreeable solution.
Quote from PedraumF :They could do it at 1kHz, 10kHz, and even MHz with no difficulties Has this low frequency to do with online environment? Or just CPU usage?

Probably just CPU usage. It might also be to combat other strange results due to online latency. Set higher it might cause even more weird behaviour if there was a clash between the cycle speed and ping. But I'm not an expert so I don't know - it could just be a hangover from a few years ago when average CPU speeds were slower.

Red and White...
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG