The online racing simulator
trackir 360° turn around
(28 posts, started )
I have an emagin z800. Cost me like 700$ with shipping and VAT included, but now it costs 1500$... a way too much. And it's 'only' 800x600 and 40 degrees of diagonal field of view. (32.5º of horizontal FOV!!, it's like looking through a little hole)

I think it's still to early to buy these things unless you are a fanatic: low resolution, low field of view, lousy head tracking...

I've read that the vr920 has a pretty good image despite the low resolution, good support regarding stereo-3D but the head tracker is trash.

Most problably you'll get dissapointed. I almost put my z800 on ebay in the first week. But 3 years later I love it despite all... but I'm a fanatic!

Honestly, I think it's better a projector with stereo-3D capabilities. I'd like to set something like that in the future as HMD development seems to be very, very slow. I'd said it's completely stalled.
Quote from XaTaN :I have an emagin z800. Cost me like 700$ with shipping and VAT included, but now it costs 1500$... a way too much. And it's 'only' 800x600 and 40 degrees of diagonal field of view. (32.5º of horizontal FOV!!, it's like looking through a little hole)

I think it's still to early to buy these things unless you are a fanatic: low resolution, low field of view, lousy head tracking...

I've read that the vr920 has a pretty good image despite the low resolution, good support regarding stereo-3D but the head tracker is trash.

Most problably you'll get dissapointed. I almost put my z800 on ebay in the first week. But 3 years later I love it despite all... but I'm a fanatic!

Honestly, I think it's better a projector with stereo-3D capabilities. I'd like to set something like that in the future as HMD development seems to be very, very slow. I'd said it's completely stalled.

I've got a TrackIR too, so I can just use that if the inbuilt head-tracker isn't good

Hopefully as OLED technology gets better we'll get some of these with decent resolutions and decent screen angles.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I've got a TrackIR too, so I can just use that if the inbuilt head-tracker isn't good

Hopefully as OLED technology gets better we'll get some of these with decent resolutions and decent screen angles.

I built the typical DIY trackir like system with a wiimote as IR camera and since then it takes care of the head tracking as long as the LED's are at the reach of the wiimote. When not, the tracking data comes from the built-in sensor, but calibrated with the angles offsets of the wiimote, so I never have to recenter view. I have to do recenter ALL the time before this era of optical tracking magic.
So, yes, a trackir comes handy if you want a decent head tracking.

trackir 360° turn around
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG