The online racing simulator
Huge ping and most servers won't reply
1 month ago I've bought Eusso UIS1400-S9 router for connecting my Xbox 360 to internet. I set up that router, PC internet connection was ok, X360 internet connection and media sharing with PC via WMP was ok too, anything was working totally okay.
Anything went well, until I wanted to get back into LFS racing and join a server for some races and then join some league.

I got the Z22 and installed it on my LFS (which was working before router totally normally approx. 4 years, no connection problems at all)(installed totally right, 100% sure), then went to get the server list and here the problem started.
Most of the servers was not responding, the ping was unbelievably high: 1000 - 2000.(normally got 50 - 200 before) Also all server list loading process was very long.

I'm asking for help, please! I want to get clear and fix that problem, because it sometimes goes away, but then it happens again, and that will happen when the race starts (league), I know that.

*Picture in attachment
Attached images
LFS.exe 0 .jpg
Your router is too weak to handle huge amounts of UDP data. Looks like some chinese noname router. :s
#3 - amp88
Quote from Shadowww :Your router is too weak to handle huge amounts of UDP data. Looks like some chinese noname router. :s

Seems like a sensible assumption. Try changing the filters to try and narrow down the number of hosts you'll receive information for and see if it makes any difference (e.g. Public GTR non-empty hosts only).
Oh, noes. Does it means that I bought wrong router (yes it was cheap, but I had no reasons to buy expensive). How can it be fixed or prevent without buying another router?

Edit: Made a little video, how server list loads now (it's okay) on version Z25.
Watch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwvjxnDYh8

Is the loading speed okay?
#5 - amp88
Did you try what I suggested above and see if it improved things?
first ones load up really fast coz theyre udp then it slows down at the end coz u got tcp set to yes therefore it slows down to recieve servers via tcp
Maybe Shadowww knows something I don't, but I beg to differ about your router being the problem here. Cheapo routers most likely use some common hardware and software and the most usual issue is overheating and occasional lockups cause by the poor overall design. Handling UDP packets is no different to TCP, besides the fact there is no communication channel established and there is no data check when you use UDP packets. What Shadowww might be on is that there is sort of data spike as LFS tries to probe a lot of servers at once, but I cannot see how it would trash your router as long as there is not a gazillon of servers being probed.
Quote from MadCatX :Maybe Shadowww knows something I don't, but I beg to differ about your router being the problem here. Cheapo routers most likely use some common hardware and software and the most usual issue is overheating and occasional lockups cause by the poor overall design. Handling UDP packets is no different to TCP, besides the fact there is no communication channel established and there is no data check when you use UDP packets. What Shadowww might be on is that there is sort of data spike as LFS tries to probe a lot of servers at once, but I cannot see how it would trash your router as long as there is not a gazillon of servers being probed.

Most cheap chinese noname routers are somewhat optimised for TCP, but UDP is just implemented, nothing more. It is present, but it may not work, it may work slow, etc. I don't get why because most modern games use UDP.
I've had a similar problem, I've got a Virgin Media cable modem with ethernet cable going straight to pc from it.

I've found that since installing Z25 I've only had the redline racing servers come up once and fox junkies/oval junkies once or twice, and the amount of servers I've had appear on the list have gone right down with lots of No Reply errors coming up when LFS is looking for them.

I've played around with all the settings i.e. nobbing off empty and private servers, taking off cruise, etc but still not getting anywhere near the same amount of servers pre Z25.

This is really doing my head in as I miss my blasts on fox junkies and redline before heading to work or bed and getting all antsy...
Those of you having this issue, do you experience problems with streamed content(youtube vids, internet radios) or other online games? If it was all down to cheap routers mishandling UDP packets (which I still cannot believe), you should have problems with these too.
If you try to connect manually (using something like Join2LFS), can you get on the server? If you are using a firewall make sure that both 63392 and 29339 port are open for TCP and UDP.
It Could be packet shaping by his isp for Chunkiegg try this test to see if you are getting high packet loss - http://www.pingtest.net/

and does it happen only during peak hours : 7pm - 12pm

I get the same with tiscali though it does not seem to effect LFS only streaming and iRacing
Thanks for the info Celtic! So I did the test and here is results:

Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5, one running tab (pingtest.net), torrents off, unneded processes (online) off.
That tells me that there's something wrong somewhere and it's not LFS related.

Anything above 0% packet loss is bad, as is 'jitter' that high.

Either the router is indeed to blame, or something's happening with your ISP, either overloaded or traffic shaping etc.
Before starting to mess around with your router or ISP, try the ping test on multiple servers for multiple times. Poor results with the server in Helsinki could have been caused by a lot of things not necessarily on your part. I myself wasn't able to run the packet loss test on Helsinki server at all, Prague server worked fine...
Quote from PioneerLv :Thanks for the info Celtic! So I did the test and here is results:

Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5, one running tab (pingtest.net), torrents off, unneded processes (online) off.

pingtest uses TCP while LFS uses UDP so that test was usls.
Quote from Shadowww :pingtest uses TCP while LFS uses UDP so that test was usls.

Doesn't ping use ICMP packets? Only the packet loss test needs both TCP and UDP port 5060 opened (some servers need 8080, check pingtest.net's FAQ for details). The test was meant to check his overall connection status and if he suffers from the same jitter and packet loss, he should contact his ISP.
This is traffic shaping Tiscali Style

Very High Packet Loss But I'm still able to surf, get onto Steam, LFS Works fine but streaming video such as youtube or BBC iPlayer is a no go during peak hours

Speed Test Is Fine As I Am On An 8MB Line :

Crafty Tiscali - typical of some British ISP's

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Jitter is very high which needs to be looked into, click the learn more button to get a desription of what it all means http://www.pingtest.net/learn.php
sorry I've not replied sooner, been over at the other half's

I just did the ping test and got 29ms ping, 14ms jitter but no packet loss with a b rating- this is at 22:45, I then went in to LFS, did a search using both the connection options on the right of the bottom set of filters.

All I am getting up are cruise and some other servers, but non of the std ones like Redline Racing, Fat Oil Drifting, etc.

I've been using a patched up Z25 i.e. using the final beta demo, which then downloaded the updates to be Z25, I have even resorted to doing a clean install but still getting exactly the same problem.

My brother is using this pc for World of WarCrack and he's had no problems with connecting to the servers, etc.

I'm really getting fed up now as all I can do is race on sodding cruise servers when all I want to do is go racing. And maybe a bit of drifting if I'm not feeling the love.
Find a server on LFSW and use "Join specific host" to join it. LFS will not request and subsequently ping the entire host list and you won't (well, shouldn't) have the problems described.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG