The online racing simulator
MPG Tools/Average Fuel Consumption
I am going to be doing a local 'Eco' Race on LFS. Going to do 29 laps on 15% fuel, so need to average around 0.5% per lap.
In LFS there is no way of in-game of getting a MPG or average fuel consumption figures. So i was wondering if anyone knew a way of getting the average fuel consumption or a method.
I also was wondering there was a cruise control type of tool for Live for speed.
And lastly, I am tuning there car so that it uses the less possible fuel. In terms of suspension what should of been looking at. Low hard Suspension or High Soft Suspension.
I have change gear ratio's, reduced weight, use low revs, careful steering, lowest amount of braking all changed, if there is anything else that I could do I would be grateful.

Thanks
You get a percentage used in F12 which updates everytime you cross the finish line. I'm sure you could use some maths to work out the MPG.
just dojne a few test laps. The F12 Figure is the average usuage of fuel based upon the amount of laps, so that will work with this situation.
You could ofcourse use the LFSWorld. Before exiting the pits, write down the numbers (mileage, fuel burnt) and then again after the "race"
#5 - J@tko
I would probably say hard suspension, then you lose [an admittedly small amount] less momentum in the corners (correct?)

As for working out the mpg:

Fuel Consumption = Distance/Fuel Used

Distance for Blackwood GP Track = 2.055 miles.
Fuel Used = % per lap x Tank Size (9.89 Gallons XFG, 14.2 Gallons XRG)
I honestly don't know how detailed LFS simulation is, but in the real world you'd want to use relatively high tire pressure (though too high can also hurt your economy). Also, excluding factors like the ECU changing the fuel/air mixture, engines run more efficiently at fully open throttle than at partial throttle. High camber angles might also reduce rolling resistance.

Set toe angles to zero, and use fully non-parallel steering to avoid tire scrub. An open diff would be wise too.

Depending on what car you are using, you should also also minimize downforce.

Suspension should be soft springs, soft dampers, hard roll bars. What you want to do is minimize body movement, since any energy the car puts into moving the body is wasted from moving the car forward, though honestly this is a pretty minimal effect. Soft springs and dampers will minimize movement from bumps (though what body movement you do get will continue for a while from being underdamped), while hard roll bars will minimize body roll in turns. Unfortunately, these settings will make the car hard to control, so don't go overboard or you will just lose too much speed trying to corner effectively.

Honestly I think tweaking the suspension will cause more losses from bad handling than you save from reduced body movement. I'd just go with a slightly soft but good-handling setup and leave it at that.
Last time I checked, LFS gets it's fuel consumption from power being produced at the time. I'm guessing doing the mods you suggested above you make fuel efficiency better because you're using less power to travel at the same speed (less effort needed)
Well I did a little tweaking of the car and average fuel consumtion with a peak speed of 80mph, was around 0.2% so is should be able to get some good mileage out of the car.
Suspension tweaking however seems to have little impact and makes things just so much worse. The handling of the car is just ruined so I loose a lot of speed in the corners, whereas what I want is to the gonig at just the right speed. I have made the suspension slight stiffer as the speeds are lower but the normal racing setup is the best so far.
Tbh just take a WR setup or something for the track in question (obviously tweak it a bit for your liking, i'd suggest a 60-80% locked on power and 10% locked coast LSD) and just drive economically. o.O
Quote from naza911 :I am going to be doing a local 'Eco' Race on LFS. Going to do 29 laps on 15% fuel, so need to average around 0.5% per lap.
In LFS there is no way of in-game of getting a MPG or average fuel consumption figures. So i was wondering if anyone knew a way of getting the average fuel consumption or a method.
I also was wondering there was a cruise control type of tool for Live for speed.
And lastly, I am tuning there car so that it uses the less possible fuel. In terms of suspension what should of been looking at. Low hard Suspension or High Soft Suspension.
I have change gear ratio's, reduced weight, use low revs, careful steering, lowest amount of braking all changed, if there is anything else that I could do I would be grateful.

Thanks

Still a good question without an answer.
Could anyone provide a solution / real time MPG display rather than waiting till the race is over.
I don’t think that this is unrealistic for a racesim.
No way to do it in realtime, since fuel of other cars than your own one was kicked from any type of display (realtime, insim and outgauge), which was done in Patch X if I'm not wrong ...
Yepp, it was X ... :
Quote :Fuel load is no longer visible in MPR (for strategy protection)

Quote from avetere :No way to do it in realtime, since fuel of other cars than your own one was kicked from any type of display (realtime, insim and outgauge), which was done in Patch X if I'm not wrong ...
Yepp, it was X ... :

I can understand that it has been removed from MPRs.. but since this will be client side only, i dont see why outgauge or insim should be kept from accessing this info?
Yes, OutGauge can show you your own fuel level. You can use that in combination with InSim to track fuel usage per lap (and even per sector/per track node etc if you can to do it in a very fine grained fashion). Following taken from the OutGauge section of the InSim.txt file found in LFS/docs.

struct OutGaugePack
{
unsigned Time; // time in milliseconds (to check order)

char Car[4]; // Car name
word Flags; // Info (see OG_x below)
byte Gear; // Reverse:0, Neutral:1, First:2...
byte SpareB;
float Speed; // M/S
float RPM; // RPM
float Turbo; // BAR
float EngTemp; // C
float Fuel; // 0 to 1
float OilPressure; // BAR
float OilTemp; // C
unsigned DashLights; // Dash lights available (see DL_x below)
unsigned ShowLights; // Dash lights currently switched on
float Throttle; // 0 to 1
float Brake; // 0 to 1
float Clutch; // 0 to 1
char Display1[16]; // Usually Fuel
char Display2[16]; // Usually Settings

int ID; // optional - only if OutGauge ID is specified
};

Quote from Phill :I can understand that it has been removed from MPRs.. but since this will be client side only, i dont see why outgauge or insim should be kept from accessing this info?

If you read my post carefully, you'll realize, that I made the exeption "every car but your own".
And as I understood, naza wanted some thing, that could reproduce fuel usage of other cars?!
I would like to have a tool, that displays my actual fuel consumption. Would be very nice to have for Cruising...
I would like to just flick through but the thing is, I don't think lfs is 'real' enough to come out with figures which are meaningful. For example I was doing 160 mpg in my xfg... when doing 30mph

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG