The online racing simulator
External Gear Indicator
(135 posts, started )
Every connection is just fine, it is a really weird issue...
However, a more serious problem has now surfaced: I now have a PCI card so that i can connect it to my main pc, which i did.. now the leds are on and the dot of the 7seg is on, driver works fine as such, but Parmon can't start because of XP's protection, that somehow didn't happen on the first PC i was testing it on.
Furthermore this card is designated LPT3, and has an address space of CE00-CE07.. What address do i need to fill in into the config? I'm really lost here
In that case you need to put CE00 as the lpt address in the config.

As for the dot and LEDs, if they are atill misbehaving after correcting the lpt address their state may be inverted with the PCI lpt card. You can change that for each led in the config file - just swap the 1/0's after each LED definition.
Nick, don`t you think in use a servo as revmeter?
I guess would very cool... ...or complicated?
Yes, cool...but complicated! I'm no electronics expert but I think it would be very difficult to do this using the parallel port, so a USB system would probably be needed and they are more complicated.
Take a look on my new gi version.
Next step: include a rev-met like yours

Blog was writed in br-pt, sorry.
Wow! Great work. That is the best looking GI I have seen.
I have just made small program for Gear Indicator. I tested it only with GTR2. It uses same schematic as lfs gi. 7 segment display on pins 2-8, shift indicator pin9 and low fuel on pin16.... Im sure it's full of bugs ... it's actualy early alpha ...anyway here is the link...
also in order for this program to work you need to modify your PLR file (c:\program files\gtr2\userdata\yourUser\yourUser.PLR and modify line Write Shared Memory="0" to Write Shared Memory="1"

http://www.transpapers.com/SimBinGI.rar
Nick,

How can i get use 2 Gear Indicators at the same time on 2 diferent paralel ports?

I would make something like this:

Thx!
You can, but I think that easier solution is using CD4051 or similar multiplexer chip. With CD4051 you control 8 lines with 4 pins.
Quote from Init.A.D :Nick,

How can i get use 2 Gear Indicators at the same time on 2 diferent paralel ports?

I would make something like this:

Thx!

Nice layout!

I've never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work in theory but you would need to modify the source code because it would need 2 different start addresses for the two parallel ports and at the moment it is only capable of using one.
I found it.
And works!!

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... utgaugegateway#post241707

First, file cfg.txt in LFS folder must have the value 30000 on outgauge port.

After, config.txt of GI (kada's) on port 50005..

and finally, config.txt of GI revmeter on port 50015.

Run line cmd "outgaugeGateway.exe 30000 50005 50015", then GI.exe (kada's), then GI revmeter.

Run LFS.exe and enjoy!!
Excellent. Glad to hear you got it working. I had forgotten about Outgauge Gateway. Post us some photos when it's finished
hi, im in need of some help, and feel free to laugh but ive never done any programming before so im a little clueless.

ive connected the circuit to the parallel port and ive downloaded and saved the zip files, so what do i do next?

thanks
Just follow what is in Kada's original readme.txt:

LFS configuration
-----------------
GI expects, that LFS is configured to report "Dashboard Packets".
Change the following in cfg.txt file (it is in the LFS directory).

OutGauge Mode 1 :0-off 1-driving 2-driving+replay
OutGauge Delay 10 :minimum delay between packets (100ths of a sec)
OutGauge IP 127.0.0.1 :IP address to send the UDP packet
OutGauge Port 11111 :IP port

(the full description is in <LFS dir>/doc/InSim.txt)

Run GI.exe before LFS on the computer with OutSim IP.
127.0.0.1 is the computer, that is running LFS.
cheers mate

im a little slow but i think i have it now

ill try and make a good one and ill post a pic when i do

thanks again
I'm having some trouble with the this gear indicator i'm making.

The 7-segment works fine, and i've also added two leds, one for low fuel, and one for shiftlight.

Now, when i soldered it, i first added only one led, then set the right pin in the config file ("pin_17 low fuel 0" if that matters), and got in a car, to see if it worked, and it did.

After adding the second led, the first one works fine, but the second won't. And here's the funny thing, if i go into the config-file, and set the "pin_17 traction_control 0" or any other function, starting up the gi.exe, i can see it has the right pin in the program, but when starting lfs it STILL uses pin_17 as low fuel.

What is wrong?

Edit: Commented out all the extended pins except pin 17, and set it to traction control, didn't work. Led was off no matter what. Set it to low fuel, it works as supposed.

When starting up lfs, i get this error, "Insim - TCB: bind failed". Has this something to do with my problem?
I don't have a solution for you why traction control doesn't work, but wanted to mention that all but 1 car (RAC) now don't have a shiftlight in the recent Z25 patch.
My unit has been working for years, but now the shiftlight does not work. I might have to change it's function to something like low fuel.
Cant you use the redline-function instead? as a replacement, even though in some cars you might want to take beyond the redline.
At the replies of today:

Since Z25 is out there are a few of changes at the sending UDP-Packet for any OutGauge-Device.

I read it at the <lfs_directory\docs\InSim.txt>
Z25:

// Each update sends the following UDP packet :

struct OutGaugePack
{
unsigned Time; // time in milliseconds (to check order)
char Car[4]; // Car name
word Flags; // Info (see OG_x below)
byte Gear; // Reverse:0, Neutral:1, First:2...
byte SpareB;
float Speed; // M/S
float RPM; // RPM
float Turbo; // BAR
float EngTemp; // C
float Fuel; // 0 to 1
float OilPressure; // BAR
float OilTemp; // C
unsigned DashLights; // Dash lights available (see DL_x below)
unsigned ShowLights; // Dash lights currently switched on
float Throttle; // 0 to 1
float Brake; // 0 to 1
float Clutch; // 0 to 1
char Display1[16];// Usually Fuel
char Display2[16];// Usually Settings
int ID; // optional - only if OutGauge ID is specified
};

// OG_x - bits for OutGaugePack Flags

#define OG_TURBO 8192 // show turbo gauge
#define OG_KM 16384 // if not set - user prefers MILES
#define OG_BAR 32768 // if not set - user prefers PSI

// DL_x - bits for OutGaugePack DashLights and ShowLights

enum
{
DL_SHIFT, // bit 0 - shift light
DL_FULLBEAM, // bit 1 - full beam
DL_HANDBRAKE, // bit 2 - handbrake
DL_PITSPEED, // bit 3 - pit speed limiter
DL_TC, // bit 4 - TC active or switched off
DL_SIGNAL_L, // bit 5 - left turn signal
DL_SIGNAL_R, // bit 6 - right turn signal
DL_SIGNAL_ANY, // bit 7 - shared turn signal
DL_OILWARN, // bit 8 - oil pressure warning
DL_BATTERY, // bit 9 - battery warning
DL_ABS, // bit 10 - ABS active or switched off
DL_SPARE, // bit 11
DL_NUM
};

Here the old version (Z and below):

typedef struct {
unsigned int Time; // time in milliseconds (to check order)
char Car[4]; // Car name
short Flags; // Combination of OG_FLAGS, see below
BYTE Gear; // Reverse:0, Neutral:1, First:2...
BYTE SpareB;
float Speed; // M/S
float RPM; // RPM
float Turbo; // BAR
float EngTemp; // C
float Fuel; // 0 to 1
float OilPress; // BAR
float Spare1;
float Spare2;
float Spare3;
float Throttle; // 0 to 1
float Brake; // 0 to 1
float Clutch; // 0 to 1
char Display1[16]; // Usually Fuel
char Display2[16]; // Usually Settings
int ID; // (optional ID - if specified in cfg.txt)
} OGPACKET;

#define OG_SHIFTLIGHT 1
#define OG_FULLBEAM 2
#define OG_HANDBRAKE 4
#define OG_PITSPEED 8
#define OG_TC 16
#define OG_HEADLIGHTS 32
#define OG_SIGNAL_L 64
#define OG_SIGNAL_R 128
#define OG_REDLINE 256
#define OG_OILWARN 512
#define OG_1 1024
#define OG_2 2048
#define OG_3 4096
#define OG_4 8192
#define OG_KM 16384
#define OG_BAR 32768

This means, you have to change the source code of the GI.exe or any other OutGauge-Software (if it allowed) to the new order of the UDP-Packet. I guess, that's the reason why the software not function as it should.

I try to build a UDP-Server for Z25 to use my AVR-USB-Board but it is not so easy for me at the moment.

Sorry for my bad english
ID
I haven't tested it yet but I believe the software will no longer work with Z25 onwards. If I have time I will try to fix it but I haven't done any programming since I made the rev-light version of GI from Kada's original so it might be some time (maybe a few weeks). As soon as there's any news I'll post back
Will download an older version, x or something like that, and see if it works then, just to be sure its not a hardware-problem!
Hi all, please try GI version for Z25. gi_nick.zip is Nick's modified version, gi.zip is the original.

I did not response earlier because the forum software did not notify me about new post by email as usual (I don't know why...).

EDIT: In case of problems with the gi.zip version, try to add line
Use_InSim 0

to your config.txt.
Quote from Kada_CZ :Hi all, please try GI version for Z25. gi_nick.zip is Nick's modified version, gi.zip is the original.

I did not response earlier because the forum software did not notify me about new post by email as usual (I don't know why...).

EDIT: In case of problems with the gi.zip version, try to add line
Use_InSim 0

to your config.txt.

Excellent stuff Kada! I almost PM'd you about it actually because I'm not sure when I'd have been able to do it. I don't have my GI set up at the moment but will post back when I've tested it. Thanks again for taking the time to do this
I make my gi too and its working perfectly
But i was so stupid that i forgot to buy 2 uln2803 from the webstore. :chairs:
So i dont have the money for paying the post bill for next order 7€ (im 13 year old and my week money is 7€) so im now waiting for more money And that is because my mom is evil and she wont give me more money :chairs:
here is some pics from my project::boing:

http://juhanius.suntuubi.com/?cat=5

thats all

edit: now i have ordered 2 uln2803 and smaller segment screen so hope i get that ready

edit: OMG i just got all soldered in place and test : upper 7 segment light donrt work and its burned x(
omg this treadh is dying

External Gear Indicator
(135 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG