The online racing simulator
#1 - awdel
Multi-Monitor Fullscreen in Vista?
Hi all,

I just downloaded the Z25 patch and was exited to see the new multi-monitor support.

I have 2 19" TFTs at 1280x1024 running off 1 GeForce 9800GT on up-to-date Vista.

The first setting I changed in LFS was the number of monitors to 0-1-1. I was in fullscreen mode and all this did was create a squashed image on the same monitor (also described in this post by horrgakx http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=62849). But unlike horrgakx I was able to switch to windowed mode and stretch the game across both monitors without a problem.

My question is, can I get the game to stretch across both monitors but in fullscreen mode? Obviously if I was running XP this would not be a problem as I could put my desktop in span mode (one 2560x1024 desktop) but this is no longer avaliable with Vista (me --> :chair: <-- microsoft).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Del
It won't work with Vista.
You have to use softth.
#4 - awdel
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do I have to have 3 monitors to use softth or is it still compatible with 2?

edit: never mind, I found the solution and for anyone else wanting to know how to do it I've explained below.

! ! ! SOLUTION ! ! !

You CAN use SoftTH with 2 monitors. Just edit the SoftTH.cfg file in you LFS folder from 'deviceIDLeft=auto' to 'deviceIDLeft=-1' if you have no left monitor, or 'deviceIDright=auto' to 'deviceIDright=-1' if you have no right monitor. This is with SoftTH v1.08.

! ! ! SOLUTION ! ! !

I am now playing LFS fullscreen over both monitors! All I need to do now is buy a third

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem
Post your config file please mate, as I had major issues with 2 screening Softth.
#6 - awdel
Hi Jason, I've posted the [config] part of my 'SoftTH.cfg' file below (I've only copied the config part as this is the only setting that needs changed and also make sure you are using SoftTH v1.08 as the config file for other versions is slightly different).

[config]
; deviceIDLeft/right: Direct3D device ID's of left and right monitor, or 'auto' for automatic
; secondaryWidth/Height: Left&right monitor resolution, or 'auto' to use same as middle screen resolution
; secondaryRefresh: Refresh rate of left & right monitors, or 'auto' for automatic
; secondaryFormat: Secondary device image format, 'RGB32', 'RGB16' or 'RGB16D'.
; borderSize: Size in pixels of frame border between monitors that is discarded
; noHotkeys: Set to 1 to disable all hotkeys
; noOSD: Set to 1 to disable on-screen display when changing settings (Also disables GDI+ initialization)
deviceIDLeft=-1 [I](<--- changed from 'deviceIDLeft=auto')[/I]
deviceIDright=auto
secondaryWidth=auto
secondaryHeight=auto
secondaryRefresh=60
secondaryFormat=RGB16D
borderSize=0
sideExtraWidth=auto
noHotkeys=0
noOSD=0

This change is for if you only have a main and a right-hand monitor as it disables the missing left-hand monitor. If your setup is the other way round then just change the 'deviceIDright' to -1 instead.
If this doesn't work then the only other thing I can recommend is to try turning off the antialiasing in game, I read this might help with compatibility. Also make sure you check the SoftTH.log after trying different settings as this may give you a clue as to what is going wrong.

Hope this helps
I have 3 screens and can't get it to work, my game always crashes when I choose the highest resolution.

I have a 19"-24"-19" setup but I only get it working on the left screen+a part of the middle screen, the rest remains black, also does LFS respond very slow, or not at all, when I go to window mode the game crashes...

I have softTH and also the latest nvidia drivers, maybe someone can paste his config file here aswell or PM it to me

I have Win 7 64bit

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG