The online racing simulator
Info about rFactor
(59 posts, started )
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/megane_trophy.asp

uh huh...pull the engine and cockpit out of any car and your left with a shell.

The only point I was trying to make is comparing a computer model to a live model, which was done very well.
...nufsaid
Quote from axus :[rant, read in a humorous manner]What pisses me off about most of these arguements is that whenever someone says what they think, people go "Well that's just your opinion, mine might be different."

O RLY?

No shit? I didn't realise that it was my opinion, even though I said it. Is modern society really that stupid that you have to point out that what you say is your opinion and you only speak for yourself? And even if you do say "IMO" (just by the fact that that has been allowed to become an acronym, you know there's something wrong with people communicating on the internet), you still get self-proclaimed "politically correct" people that will only be too happy to point out that that's just your opinion even though you said so. Then they go off on a tangent about their views, not realising that they are being hypocritical in that they don't allow anyone else to have an opinion and state it but its OK for them to do so.

Where do you people draw the line between. "I think game X has better graphics than game Y because it looks natural, and not like there's been effects thrown in just to look cool but they've been poorly implemented" and "GAME X' graphics suck."?

Geee... its become impossible to state your opinion respectfully on an internet forum (I thought that's what these things are for, as well as providing information for others and asking questions) without getting a bunch of people shoving theirs down your throat and why you are completely wrong.

RSC has become full of people like that and now even moderators close threads/send out warnings/delete posts, just because someone stated an opinion.

What's wrong with arguing anyway? As long as it is done in a civilized manner I can see it being quite constructive. Just don't try to shove your opinion down everyone else's throat - give them the facts and let them decide for themselves for crying out loud![/rant]

This is the most useless post I read today but hey this is just my opinion. :haha:
Quote from Sawyer :This is the most useless post I read today but hey this is just my opinion. :haha:

I'm sure it is not JUST your opinion.
Quote from Pain-less :You gotta be f'in kidding me? 2D bitmaps? Glued together? Nothing on them that makes them look ANYTHING like a body. Are you drunk?

Nope, I'm not... I was referring to this pic: http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... tid=9875&d=1147710662 and it really looks like those models you cut out from paper, created by that false lightning you criticized yourself... Don't be so pissed off when I express my opinion... I'm not bashing rF or anything else, I just commenting a screenshot... After all, it's not your work, is it? If not, why are you so upset?
I don't like the unmodded rFactor that much (I played the ISI F1Challenge 99-02 a lot with Emac's season add-ons)

The two mods that keep it on my HD are H6 Challenge v2.0 (top) and Nippon Series v1.1 (soon to be 1.2). Didn't try the Megane mod yet and discarded other mods.

I like those alongside LFS, NASCAR 2003, RBR and nK-Pro (still needs a lot of patching up).
I owned rFactor for 8 months and tried hard to appreciate it. In the end, I gave up on it and gave the license away.

The graphics in rFactor are pretty good, especially the amount of detail in several of the ISI-created tracks. However, all that eye-candy comes at a cost: you need a powerful system to run it at decent framerates. In LFS, I generally get 100-120 fps running at full detail, 1280x960x32, 4xAA and 8xAF. In rFactor, I had to scale the in-game graphics settings back and turn down AA and AF to get 30-35 fps. If the framerate is any lower, the game and controller response becomes so laggy that it's more or less unplayable.

Physics are hard to judge. It seems very good in places and yet things like controller lag, mediocre and canned force feedback, limited steering lock, steering ratios and so on get in the way.

User-created mods are largely a waste of time. Even 8 months after release, there are only a handful of good quality mods.

But what really killed it for me was multiplayer. Trying to find an online game was an exercise in frustration. There are so many different versions of the various car and track mods that even finding a server that I was able to join without getting a version mismatch error was a hit and miss affair.

So, I gave up.
Thanks a lot Linsen, your post is just exactly what i needed, fair and complete comparaison.
i did read your post entirely, and i have been very interested. i still dont know wether im gonna buy this freakin game or not, i just have to wait and see how bad i want to drive this Porsche cup car. but anyways thanx a lot again.
Quote from Pain-less :http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/megane_trophy.asp

uh huh...pull the engine and cockpit out of any car and your left with a shell.

The only point I was trying to make is comparing a computer model to a live model, which was done very well.
...nufsaid

My point was that you said "real", and it isn't.. And no, they didn't pull the engine and cockpit from it either. Yes, it looks alike, but it's still a prototype model made of plastic. The real car didn't even exist when they displayed that yellow thing. And as far as modeling a computer mockup to a live model, just look at the BF1, and the RAC and MRT5... They're probably even better models of the originals.
Quote from mrodgers :I use to think this, but then I hit the pitwall at Aston and was like "WOW, this thing has better flight physics than MSFlight Sim!!!"

Except the MSFS flight model physics are totally bogus. For a better pointless comparison between plane and car simulators, try X-Plane. It models air flow over the wings and control surfaces. MSFS does not.

Seriously, there is much to be said for fluid dynamics modeling in a car sim. F1 cars are virtually airplanes being kept on the ground with airfoils. A wee bit off topic, but nonetheless.

The only thing I liked about Rfactor was the glowing brake rotors. My Rfactor nightmare post resides elsewhere on this forum.

Info about rFactor
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG