The online racing simulator
F1 Discussion
(468 posts, started )
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm.....

There are giant screens that show TV coverage so you see whats going on elsewhere on the track....

Or am I wrong?

Depends where you are on track, but whats the point paying for something you can watch on TV for free? And sharing that GP-time with thousands of fools who know nothing about F1? Plus if I want to hear decent engine sounds I'll go to a drag racing meet, or go to a historic F1 or GT event.
Quote from BlueFlame :Depends where you are on track, but whats the point paying for something you can watch on TV for free? And sharing that GP-time with thousands of fools who know nothing about F1? Plus if I want to hear decent engine sounds I'll go to a drag racing meet, or go to a historic F1 or GT event.

The TV stands are everywhere pretty much. It's obvious that your a bit too arrogant to watch F1 with us fools who know nothing about F1 so I'll leave it at that, there's no point trying to explain to someone as magnificently knowledgeable as you.
Why pay for something you don't benefit from? The sound of today's F1 is far from exciting or nice on the ears, you don't get FIA commentary only the trackside commentary, and you only see cars at 1 or a collection of corners every once a lap. It's a no brainer to me...
Quote from BlueFlame :Depends where you are on track, but whats the point paying for something you can watch on TV for free? And sharing that GP-time with thousands of fools who know nothing about F1? Plus if I want to hear decent engine sounds I'll go to a drag racing meet, or go to a historic F1 or GT event.

I love watching F1 from trackside. And as I consider you to be an "F1 fool who knows nothing about F1" then it's a good thing you stay at home and miss out on a lot of the spectacle.

Have you ever been to an F1 race?
Quote from tristancliffe :I love watching F1 from trackside. And as I consider you to be an "F1 fool who knows nothing about F1" then it's a good thing you stay at home and miss out on a lot of the spectacle.

The spectacle of what? Hearing a 2l V8 that revs to 18k mis-firing? Hmm must be real nice.
Quote from BlueFlame :Hearing a 2l V8 that revs to 18k mis-firing?

So that's another one to add to the thousands of fools who know nothing about F1.
The spectacle of the cars, the speed, the noise (2.4l and what misfires?), the braking, the change of direction... things you can't quite 'get' on a TV screen.

Seriously, if you go (and not in a mood determined not to enjoy it) you'll love it.

It's like any sport or event. It's ALWAYS better live. Music. Olympics. Top Gear. F1. My racing (). Can anyone think of an exception?
Tennis?
I suppose you're right Tristan, but you have to pay for a ticket, and tickets cost alot, and for what you get, it's not really worth it.
Quote from BlueFlame :I suppose you're right Tristan, but you have to pay for a ticket, and tickets cost alot, and for what you get, it's not really worth it.

tbh, your best off getting an admissions ticket and carrying a picnic chair around with you. they are anything from free(friday) to £80(full weekend) i believe.
Depends where you go, I went to silverstone in 2006 and it was around 99 pounds, not really a lot for a two day ticket, got to see some historic racing as well.

Just soaking in the atmosphere and being there was really worth it, these cars carry speed like nothing else on the planet (except air racers!)

For F1 you have to go at least once just be because it is F1. it's the fastest thing you can watch and having seen F1 cars first hand going through Becketts - wow, you just don't get the same sense on TV. There's also the sense of history; you're watching the current F1, but flick through the previous winners of the race you're watching and there's Clark, Hill, Fangio, Moss, Andretti, Piquet, Prost, Senna - fantastic.

If I can recommend one motorsport event to go to then try Misano for MotoGP. Make sure you go next year, because Rossi is not guaranteed to be there after that and to experience Rossimania in his own backyard is something beyond description.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :For F1 you have to go at least once just be because it is F1. it's the fastest thing you can watch .

Drag racing is faster, and that's over a 1/4 mile, also a Bugatti Veyron is faster than an F1 car in a straight line, F1 cars aren't actually THAT technologically advanced, the FIA's rules stop them from BEING that way, which to me, ruins the spectacle.
Drag racing and Veyrons are quick in a straight line, but even a Top Fuel is only about 10% as impressive as an F1 car through Becketts.

If you think they aren't that advanced technically then you are living in a dream world. Sure they don't have many driver aids anymore, and might be restricted via the regulations, but they still destroy any other car round a track.
Quote from tristancliffe :Drag racing and Veyrons are quick in a straight line, but even a Top Fuel is only about 10% as impressive as an F1 car through Becketts.

If you think they aren't that advanced technically then you are living in a dream world. Sure they don't have many driver aids anymore, and might be restricted via the regulations, but they still destroy any other car round a track.

Top Fuel is more impressive than an F1 car, they defy physics and hit 300mph within a 1/4 mile which is at a standing start, plus you get to see all the races from start to finish, and you see things blow up infront of you. You also get your body shaken and your soul stirred by the sound of a 5000+bhp V8.
Quote from BlueFlame :Drag racing is faster, and that's over a 1/4 mile, also a Bugatti Veyron is faster than an F1 car in a straight line, F1 cars aren't actually THAT technologically advanced, the FIA's rules stop them from BEING that way, which to me, ruins the spectacle.

look how long it takes veyron to get to that speed ( 200mph )... f1 can get there much quicker
Is it? How, exactly, do they defy physics?

You've obviously never stood that close to an 800hp F1 car. It's shake every part of your body and soul as well
I saw the latest F1 cars at the Goodwood revival last year, and was amazed how weedy and pathetic the little V8 cars are, I didn't even wince so much as feel the need to put my fingers in my ears! Then again I've been to years of loud race events and stood beside mental drummers, so I may be slightly deaf

The 3/3.5 litre cars were far more impressive, you can feel those coming up through your feet and into your chest.
Quote from BlueFlame :Drag racing is faster, and that's over a 1/4 mile, also a Bugatti Veyron is faster than an F1 car in a straight line, F1 cars aren't actually THAT technologically advanced, the FIA's rules stop them from BEING that way, which to me, ruins the spectacle.

They could make F1 cars made to current rules run at 300 mph if they wanted, but there's no F1 track with a 10 mile straight.

F1 car would be at least 20-30 seconds faster than a Veyron round Silverstone.
Yeah but this is on salt flat's.... I remember the Top Gear crew saying it reduces the top speed reached massively.....

I reckon on normal tarmac it would go faster.
He's right about the salt though - it causes massive drag relative to tarmac, and ruins traction.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :They could make F1 cars made to current rules run at 300 mph if they wanted, but there's no F1 track with a 10 mile straight.

F1 car would be at least 20-30 seconds faster than a Veyron round Silverstone.

I don't give two shits about a Veyron, I'm not some 12yo kid, the fact is, a Veyron is faster than a Formula 1 car, almost as fast in a straight line even with the F1's wings taken off. The reason the F1 car can carry speed through corners it's simple, it's light and it has downforce. You can throw a Mini into corners and carry what little speed it has through the corners so I really don't see what makes an F1 car so uber-special. If a dragster only needs a 1/4mile I doubt a oh so amazing F1 car needs 10 miles to do so. that's 40times more than a Dragster, and if you take horsepower into considerations 5000bhp - 1/4 to 300mph and 800bhp - 10miles to 300mph, you can see your logic is flawed.

F1 Discussion
(468 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG