The online racing simulator
#26 - th84
Quote from Vain :Just to add to the picture: I am closely (read: daily) following the progress of development and try out every test patch using a gamecontroller, but my wheel is in the basement waiting to be unpacked once the new patch comes out.
I imagin that there's a good chunk of the community that treats LFS similarly.

Vain

Quote from Sir moi 407 :So for you people that are bored of LFS are:
morrons, kids, immature, noobs...

If they also say that I have no life because I friendly propose them to try to log in on a different hour if possible, then yes.

Quote :Well, it started with your faulty argument: "Not LFS, Devs or game faults, but your fault. Maybe you race on the wrong hours?" and "No matter what your timezone is, you can still choose when you race."

Because of work, the earliest I can race on weekdays is about 7pm, and that's assuming I don't have dinner after work, 8pm-ish is more reasonable. I'm 6 hours behind Europe, so that's 1-2am. You can check on lfsworld what is the number of racers at that time. Most of the time, if I filter out drift/cruise/demo/oval servers, there will be a couple of servers with more than 3 people. Even AS3/GTR has like 5-10 people tops. These are the only hours I can race, so tell me, how do I choose the right hours to race?? Are you seriously suggesting that I should quit a job I like just because of what is ultimately a computer game?

First of all, my argument is not wrong.
Secondly, look, my friendly advice of "change your online time" is possible when the difference of timezone is less large. Obviously in your case this is not possible (which I did not knew nor bothered to look up). Or short put; sucks to be you. You can always try putting up a league yourself or look for a national community forum; where you can get in touch with other racers in your timezone. Or tell your friends (and those friends their friends, ect) to get LFS.

Quote :Isn't that exactly what the OP is asking?

No, what I said is nowhere near the same of what the opening poster stated.
Quote from GianniC : First of all, my argument is not wrong.
Secondly, look, my friendly advice of "change your online time" is possible when the difference of timezone is less large. Obviously in your case this is not possible (which I did not knew nor bothered to look up). Or short put; sucks to be you.

The OP is Canadian and mentions North America. 6 hours behind is the US Eastern coast time and the smallest time difference except for some distant Canadian provinces. All the 48 contiguous US states are within 6-9 hours as well as most of Canada. So to whom exactly in N. America does your friendly advice go to if 6 hours is too large a difference?
How about stop nitpicking and trying to get yourself an internet discussion going ?

For the OP: Try here, it's even on page one of this section. See what I mean, do some more effort before blaming the so called lack of updates and other nonsense.

Gosh, some of you people know how to make people pissed
It does seem that lately (the last two or three years) the emphasis in LFS has moved from pick-up racing to league racing, which means that many of the public servers are now dedicated to practice for private-server league races. I don't really mind this since I do league racing almost exclusively, but I can imagine it's frustrating for those who just want to race at any given hour.
There are people around, but many veterans are not around anymore. A new patch makes it better tho

The trick is to think new, try something fresh in LFS. There are allways something going on.
Quote from Vain :Just to add to the picture: I am closely (read: daily) following the progress of development and try out every test patch using a gamecontroller, but my wheel is in the basement waiting to be unpacked once the new patch comes out.
I imagin that there's a good chunk of the community that treats LFS similarly.

Vain

Yep, that's me.

My last online race was Sept '08, though that was just a mini-session with danowat and Bean0. A few more proper races were held in '07 but I mainly stopped doing regular races after '06. I'm simply most interested in LFS' physics aspects, and while they certainly haven't gotten worse since then, there weren't any significant improvements either. At some point after following LFS for so long (it's 7 years already - I'm getting old), it got simply too frustrating to see the same bogus setups and the same gung-ho driving style year after year without anything being done about it. It took the realization that the current physics engine cannot make a *real* car work like it's supposed to to get things moving again, which is kind of sad. At the same time this is however also the first ray of hope that could get me going again since a long time, so I'll keep my fingers crossed while waiting for the patch (that I wouldn't expect earlier than Christmas, tbh)
Quote from GianniC :How about stop nitpicking and trying to get yourself an internet discussion going ?

I'm trying to explain to you that your argument does not stand for the majority of North Americans from a point of someone who is directly affected by that. That's all, I'm not nitpicking nor trying to start a debate, no need to get so defensive...
Quote from Sir moi 407 :Loosing motivation because of a patch delay is perfectly normal

I don't understand that. What would happen then if the devs called it quits after releasing the next patch? Would all those people just stop playing LFS altogether after the novelty of the new track and cars had worn off? Do they need something new every 6 months to keep them interested? If so, that's sad.
Many people are like that.
The main reason why people lost motivation is because they thought there was going to be patch, so they were happy with this perspective and then it got delayed.
The fact that we are all expepting for a good update since August 2008 (when we knew the Scirocco was going to be added) is making some people bored and that's perfectly normal (and the fact that patch Z wasn't a major update TBH).
It is not sad, it is not happy, it's just how things work.
When the patch will come, people will gain motivation again because this time we will get a LOT of updates!

@GianniC
You don't seem to know that alot of respected and respectful drivers left LFS because they were simply bored...
They didn't complain about anything, they were not noobs, and certainly not kids.
Because when I read your post, it looks like your insulting people just because they are bored of the game

Now let's just wait for the update to see the LFS community living again
I think that a lot of racers are trying other sims and other games.

The CD team has waited for this way overdue update for so long that we (like a lot of others) just dont bother with LFS.

Many are racing Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park and other track on other sims.

I pay for 8 LFS servers that are open to all yet I have not been on them for weeks, these run out in November and i shall not renew them, after all i can use the 500 other empty ones.

Its such a pity that the devs just do not listen to the regulars and those who "want" to use LFS but the fact is they dont, and gamers will only stand being bored for a short time.

I think a regular update, say every 3 months would keep LFS fresh but i am sorry to say its dead at the moment.

I for one would pay for more content.

LFS is by the easiest Sim out there (to use that is) but the content is just so out of date, something i hope will change but i doubt it.
Well, you can't just make patches appear from thin air. I am sure the devs are not intentionally delaying the patches.

Besides just look at other games. It's very rare there even is content patches after the initial release.
3-4 years ago LFS was getting more updates, more content, and more attention. Now it's been the same for at least the past 2-3 years, except we got all of 1 new car (FBM), so people are getting bored of the same old thing, and are moving on to new things. This would be ok normally, but since it seems like LFS development has slowed down a lot in the past year (just my opinion), it seems like there are fewer new users than we used to get in past years. Like when patch X and Y were released I remember we got a whole bunch of new users, but nowadays there's the same old group. We need new stuff in LFS, it's the only way people will come back to it!

geeman - other games have a ton more content when they are released, don't tell me Gran Turismo has only 20-something cars and 5 track environments...
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :geeman - other games have a ton more content when they are released, don't tell me Gran Turismo has only 20-something cars and 5 track environments...

Gran Turismos development team is huge compared to LFS' development team.
Not all games have huge amount of content.
Quote from obsolum :I don't understand that. What would happen then if the devs called it quits after releasing the next patch? Would all those people just stop playing LFS altogether after the novelty of the new track and cars had worn off? Do they need something new every 6 months to keep them interested? If so, that's sad.

What's wrong with wanting a new challenge every now and then? Many people have been playing LFS, essentially unchanged, for 4+ years now. Sure, we get a new car or track layout every now and then, but many of them simply aren't appealing. If you don't like F1 (I don't) and you aren't fond of FWD cars (I'm not), then the last new car and the upcoming new car are essentially worthless.

Let's also not forget that laps in LFS are basically always the same. Other than the wind option, there's no real change in the tracks...ever. Go drive a lap on Blackwood with the XRT today. Do it again tomorrow. Do it again a month from now. It's always going to be the same experience. There are no air or track temperature changes, no real reason for tire changes, no formation of a racing line, no marbles, no shadows, no wetness, no oil spills, no tarmac resurfacing, etc. If you manage to stick with a car and track long enough to perfect your technique, then where do you go from there? You can't modify your car or move up to the next league since there are no car modifications in LFS (not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just sayin') and there's no "career" mode or anything like that.

I'm a huge fan of LFS. I think it's the best racing sim on the market, hands-down. But that doesn't mean that it can hold my attention indefinitely. As good as it is, some of us need *something* new to keep our interest. Hell, even banging Christie Brinkley gets old eventually (just ask Billy Joel).

I check this forum at least once a week, and almost daily when test patches are actively being worked on...hoping to see something new and fantastic to suck me back into the game. The new tire physics sound promising, but to be honest, I doubt it will keep me entertained for more than a few weeks. When Forza 3 was previewed at E3 I thought it would completely replace LFS for me, but it seems Turn10 has cocked that up - so I'll probably be back to LFS for at least a little while. But, just like most people, the infatuation will likely be fairly short lived until Scawen and company add something new and cause me to dust off my driving wheel once again.
Quote :You can't modify your car or move up to the next league since there are no car modifications in LFS

bob's nascar mod had a league (I-SCAR), but it recently folded.
if you want nascar get NR2003 or Nascar heat (free) both are very good, this is road courses
I think the most fun times in LFS are around the incompatible test patch times, around the release of the next full patch. It is really funny watching people compete to get into 3 full servers. Then try to get a race past turn one with 32 cars on grid!

I can hardly wait! Its going to be fun, I just hope everybody is not driving the Sirocco.
Quote from legoflamb :I think the most fun times in LFS are around the incompatible test patch times, around the release of the next full patch. It is really funny watching people compete to get into 3 full servers. Then try to get a race past turn one with 32 cars on grid!

I can hardly wait! Its going to be fun, I just hope everybody is not driving the Sirocco.

BIG +1, I agree!

But looking forward to 32 cars racing again
Quote from Cue-Ball :
Let's also not forget that laps in LFS are basically always the same. Other than the wind option, there's no real change in the tracks...ever. Go drive a lap on Blackwood with the XRT today. Do it again tomorrow. Do it again a month from now. It's always going to be the same experience. There are no air or track temperature changes, no real reason for tire changes, no formation of a racing line, no marbles, no shadows, no wetness, no oil spills, no tarmac resurfacing, etc. If you manage to stick with a car and track long enough to perfect your technique, then where do you go from there? You can't modify your car or move up to the next league since there are no car modifications in LFS (not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just sayin') and there's no "career" mode or anything like that.

As much as i do agree with you on the dynamic track conditions, we shall not forget patch Y at this point. Blackwood also was very different back in S1.

Quote from Cue-Ball :
I'm a huge fan of LFS. I think it's the best racing sim on the market, hands-down. But that doesn't mean that it can hold my attention indefinitely. As good as it is, some of us need *something* new to keep our interest. Hell, even banging Christie Brinkley gets old eventually (just ask Billy Joel).

A game is there to be played and entertain you for some time, not to fill a gap or replace parts of your life (forever). Some people really don't understand that, when they play a game for a (considerably) long time, that they will get bored eventually. Simple by looking at the informations that we've got available, it should be _clearly_ visible that LFS is different to anything else and thus will be developed, or respectively the speed of development differs drastically from most of the other products that are available. That obviously doesn't mean that this product is worth less, but quite the opposite indeed.

Best examples are EA games, where games are getting developed by a huge crowd of people in a rush, with the ultimate goal to sell as much copies as possible. Right after that, this cycle gets "restarted" and soon after that, you will have to pay another 40+ bugs. Soon ripe, soon rotten, if you will.

Quote from Cue-Ball :...I doubt it will keep me entertained for more than a few weeks. When Forza 3 was previewed at E3 I thought it would completely replace LFS for me, but it seems

Now that's a bit contradicting right here. As a huge fan of LFS, you're seeking for something to replace LFS for you completely? Really, I do get it, you're bored, pissed off and whatever, but seriously, take a few more steps back and try and get a grasp for what LFS really is.

Quote from legoflamb :I think the most fun times in LFS are around the incompatible test patch times, around the release of the next full patch. It is really funny watching people compete to get into 3 full servers. Then try to get a race past turn one with 32 cars on grid!

+1
uni work, broken toe and playing the updated forgotten hope ww2 mod for battlefield 2 (which was free and had un paid contributors)

i love battlefield 2 but that dont mean I can spend all my time on it. I love lots of other stuff too. Drinking, eating, women. But no matter how fun something is, if it's always the same it tends to get boring. If all your woman does is sit around watching tv, wont have sex and says nothing then she becomes boring. If I do the same thing every day then life becomes boring.

lfs like everything needs to change in order for it to stay fresh and interesting.

lfs is not a bad game but for people who have played it a lot they have lost interest. It's just human nature and there is no point doing something 'just because I feel I have to', if it's not fun for you then why play.

If you read this then perhaps you have lost interest too or your at work

Topics like this are funny, A) I waste my time writing philosiphical crap and B) People will probably be pleasantly supprised when the patch comes out.

But for me... patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch,patch.
Quote from 510N3D : Now that's a bit contradicting right here. As a huge fan of LFS, you're seeking for something to replace LFS for you completely? Really, I do get it, you're bored, pissed off and whatever, but seriously, take a few more steps back and try and get a grasp for what LFS really is.

I'm a fan of LFS, as I said, but that doesn't make me any less bored. I also love House, M.D., but I'm not going to rewatch the same eight episodes day after day for four years.

Everyone gets bored eventually, and needs something new to relight their fire. It's pretty obvious that new cars, new tracks, and physics changes do this for LFS. The last major patch (Z) was over a year ago (July '08), and it didn't include new cars, new tracks, or major physics changes. The last time anything of the sort happened was in December of '07 (Patch Y) - almost two years ago. I personally welcomed the physics changes, but couldn't care less about the BMW. The last patch that I remember really, truly being excited about was Patch X in June of '07.

I'm not saying that LFS needs to develop faster (though I think most everyone here would enjoy it if that happened). I'm not saying that the devs owe me (or anyone else) anything. I'm simply saying that I'm bored of LFS. The upcoming physics changes will probably bring me back into the fold for a few months, but without new cars, new tracks, or substantial additions to the race experience, I'm sure I'll be feeling this same way again a year from now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG