The online racing simulator
Give credits for passing licence tests
i had an idea, when someone passes the driving tests, they get credits... that would mean that they could unlock the cars either by 1) winning races or 2) training up using the driving test mode.

this would mean that some people would take the option of the driving tests, which would make them less 'noob' instead of full blown licence tests to get on servers, which i like the idea of, but not many others do.

PS I dont know if u get credits already, i've never done a driving test in LFS.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :PS I dont know if u get credits already, i've never done a driving test in LFS.

he he :-P
hm nice idea

i would change it a little bit though - give credits by license tests OR online races.. - use these credits to unlock the cars for online use
keep the XFG, UF1 and XRG free for online use, so that online points can be earned without passing the tests

do not unlock any offline cars, since it won't hurt anyone if some inexperienced drivers take the FO8 for a ride offline - but it would help them get to know the faster cars.

make unlock-steps every 100 or 150 credits - and award 100-150 credits for each completed series of driving lessons - so if you pass all XFG tests, you'll get the RB4 unlocked, if you pass the next set of tests, you'll get the FXO unlocked and so on - or if you don't want to pass tests, you can race a few online races and get the necessary points there
Good idea, the tests need a bonus to give the drivers an incentive to do them. I have noticed alot of people driving cars they are unable to drive, you learn alot about them in the tests. After a frustrating session the other day, I thought that it might be a good idea if there was a server option that requires people to have passed the test with the car so they can drive it on the server that enables that option.
I thought the license tests were a replacement for credits? Only the system has been finished off yet (being alpha phase 'n all).
#6 - ajp71
No driving tests and credits to unlock cars, this is sinking to rFactors level.
Well, I'm no more informed than anybody else on this point, but if I were to guess:

* All cars with be available for offline use, all the time (a good thing)
* The credits system will be completely removed (a good thing)
* There will be some form of online restrictions to using all cars online straight away, without proving anything. While this seems annoying to those of us who can drive all the cars, this also means that we should be able to meet any requirements with minimum effort. The only reason for such a system is to try and create a minimum standard of driving online, so that people can at least go in a straight line and take a corner when online. To be honest it's not a huge thing most of the time, but just think FO8 and Oval and I'm sure most of us will agree things aren't always pleasant.

If the current driving tests system were to be used, you would need to be able to start the tests for any car without having to do the cars before them, otherwise it would annoy racers who want to race the FO8 online and don't want to have to pass over a hundred tests to do it.

Victor has mention we will have a "status", but that's all we know for sure (that something is changing). The driving tests are all that have appeared so far. It's really just a case of wait and see.
#8 - Gunn
Quote from Bob Smith :If the current driving tests system were to be used, you would need to be able to start the tests for any car without having to do the cars before them, otherwise it would annoy racers who want to race the FO8 online and don't want to have to pass over a hundred tests to do it.

Yep I agree with this sentiment. Having done the GTi tests already I found that it took too long, I wouldn't like it if we were required to do the cars in sequence. In one of the tests you drive the car around Blackwood, so I'm driving and driving and driving and ... yawn..... ESC. I'm not sure how many laps are required for that test but to me 1 lap of Blackwood in a GTi is one lap too many! I found it a real chore and not at all challenging, in fact completely uneccessary. I found the tests to be quite relevant though, covering all aspects of car handling and some racing too (AI arrogance notwithstanding :P ) The problem is that every one of us is at a different level. How do you make the tests fair on all licensed racers? Most people agree that most rookies need training before joining an online race.

I'm not sure what system we will end up with but I'm not looking forward to unlocking about half of the cars. Cars I never use and never will use.

2c
#9 - Woz
Only other change I would like is a server side option that allows people to use any car unless enabled in which case you will only be able to use cars you have passed a test for.

Simple way to keep everyone happy and have servers that stop people getting the sim and jumping in any car when they have no idea how to drive it.
how about only using the credits system/driving tests to unlock cars if someone has driven less than n kilometers ?

that way experienced drivers can hop in an fo8 on a fresh clean lfs-install without having to complete tedious tests and the newbies will be forced to learn how to drive the cars before going online with a gtr/formula class car
#11 - Woz
Quote from Shotglass :how about only using the credits system/driving tests to unlock cars if someone has driven less than n kilometers ?

that way experienced drivers can hop in an fo8 on a fresh clean lfs-install without having to complete tedious tests and the newbies will be forced to learn how to drive the cars before going online with a gtr/formula class car

Or just store the test results as part of your LFS world profile so if you reinstall you still keep your test results.
i completed the liscence test, quite good work actually, most of y time was "quick" and pro at the overtake races....
they should be completed as an online unlock, it really is a goood way to step up from S1 if you had it to S2, the physics are that new, this sim racer rocks by the way

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG