The online racing simulator
Anyone have experience with contact lens?
(48 posts, started )
Oh yeah, the faggot level has rised to a new level, I understand..
Well either way.. I want to try out something new, to see if it actually is anything cool or not..

Contact lens is what I plan to try out.

From what I have understand I should ask for a brief course before using it, and I should never sleep with them or I'll screw up my eyes. That's fine, but do they actually work? Have seen some really cool stuff on internet, but not sure if I belive the results shown in the pictures.

Any advices / thought is wanted, aswell as a propper site to buy some cheap / quality contact lenses from.
#2 - J@tko
Contact Lenses are the greatest thing known to man. Possibly second after LFS. I have no idea how I ever survived without them!

At first they're right little bastards to get in - the optician dude/ette will show you basically how to do it - but as always its practice and after a few weeks you'll get much better. I slept with mine in once by accident, hasn't done me any harm really, just woke up one morning thinking "eh, I can see?!", then the penny dropped As you get near the end of the day/when it gets dark they start to hurt a bit, so just take 'em out and wear glasses or whatever. And yes, btw, they work brilliantly. You can wear them whilst doing anything, with the possibly exception of swimming [it feels a tad strange and probably isn't too good for your eyes] and not recommended on planes - they dry up SO quickly

Your main decision is between dailyies and like long-term ones. Dailyies are much easier - bin 'em at night and put in some new ones the next morning, but more expensive. With the others you have to take them out each night, clean them and stuff and put them back in in the morning. It's cheaper, but both me and my dad use daily disposables.

I've had them for 2 or so years now, never had any problems apart from the ever annoying "GO IN YOU MOTHER F***ER" at the start, and sometimes when you're putting them in you get a bit of dirt on them, and it canes for 10 mins when u put them in until your eye gets rid of it.

I just get mine from my opticians, its about 50p/day IIRC.
Lovely reading
Thanks for the info

Well, I am not in need of lenses that has a other purpose than look. I wanted to try out something freakish or just cool, to see if it's something that could be fun taking on on a party or just have around for some cool occasions every now and then.

From what I have seen they are pretty expensive, but it's somewhat an investment for certain parties or just everyday fun I think.

The.. uhm focus or strenght (not sure what kind of word you use) don't need to be anything, since I can see clearly without glasses or lenses.

Thanks a lot for the info!
Quote from J@tko :Dailies are much easier - bin 'em at night and put in some new ones the next morning, but more expensive. With the others you have to take them out each night, clean them and stuff and put them back in in the morning. It's cheaper, but both me and my dad use daily disposables.

You know you can use them as long as they work properly right? The daily ones are essentially the same ones, just a taaad more fragile. It's all just marketing.

And this comes from my uncle who worked at a contact lenses company. He kept his ''daily'' ones at least 2 weeks and I do too. In 8 years not a single problem. Huuuge expense difference.

And don't worry about sleeping with them at night either. Just don't do it regularly. I kept them a week once because of a trip that didn't have any commodities, and again not a single problem, although that depends on the person. The only problem you can have is your eyes drying up, but depends on you. My sisters eyes dry up after 5 hours of use, mine after a week are still fine. (Yep you guessed it, pretty much everyone in my family has myopy.)
Quote from The Very End :Oh yeah, the faggot level has rised to a new level, I understand..

This confuses me....

Quote :Well either way.. I want to try out something new, to see if it actually is anything cool or not..

What's cool about contact lenses? They are to correct your vision, right?

Quote :From what I have understand I should ask for a brief course before using it, and I should never sleep with them or I'll screw up my eyes. That's fine, but do they actually work? Have seen some really cool stuff on internet, but not sure if I belive the results shown in the pictures.

Confused at this as well. What results shown in pictures?

We are talking about contact lenses as in vision correction lenses right? You currently wear glasses now?

I have worn glasses since the 3rd grade. That's about age 9 and I am now 37 (:eye-poppi). I switched to contacts when I bought my motorcycle because I wanted to wear sunglasses. I didn't want to spend $500 for a pair of prescription sunglasses, I wanted to wear normal sunglasses that everyone else wears and not have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house for them.

Best thing I have done for myself my entire life. I never thought I could do the "stick my finger in my eye" thing, but I can't believe I never switched to contacts years and years and years ago. No more reflections in my glasses, no more filthy glasses, no more scratched up lenses.

You can get contacts that you can wear at night. I tried them, but with my astigmatism, they didn't work. They would literally fall down my eye so that they were not centered, but hanging down under my bottom eye lid. So, I went back to the take them out every night lenses I've used now for 7 years.

I wear mine from 5 am until 10 PM. I work in a very dusty environment for at least 8 hours a day. I have no trouble at all with mine except they start to dry out if I'm looking at the computer in the evenings (you tend to not blink as often when using a computer.)
Sorry if I made myself unclear, the word contact lens is what the dictionary told me to use Well, it's more of a show-off, hence the word faggot-level, since it's just for the look and not for improving the "performance" of the eyes. I am not using glasses or anything, so this is just for look.

What's cool about them? Don't ask me, that's why I ask you It's more like something I want to try out on a evening on town, just to see how it actually looks, maybe suitable for halloween with some propper messed up eyes,
#7 - J@tko
Quote from mrodgers :What's cool about contact lenses? They are to correct your vision, right?

I think you can get coloured ones that make your eyes stupid colours and stuff

And the "I'm a tad thick award" goes to Chris Wilkinson for this gem:
Quote :Chris says:
you wear contacts?
Jack says:
i do
thats why i made that entire post you moron

The Swedish, or sorry, the Norwegian self proclaimed faggot is talking about colored contact lenses. Keep with the times old man.

edit. Plah, I'm slow, but at least not Norwegian.
Quote from Blackout :The Swedish, or sorry, the Norwegian self proclaimed faggot is talking about colored contact lenses. Keep with the times old man.

edit. Plah, I'm slow, but at least not Norwegian.

I dare you saying that loud again...

Either way, you smelly beast, here is what I mean :
http://www.illusion.no/linser , the page is norwegian but bear with me, the pictures is what count. Now those on those pages are cheap and rather not well, but there are some pretty decent-looking ones on the internett. The reason why I made this topic were to get an answer if these lenses actually gives any noticeable changes to your eyes
Ricer.

But seriously, pink or orange or green or whatever eyes look just stupid. People treat you like alien.
My friend back in the day had the Marilyn Manson, one red one black eye style thing. I have to say, it looked pretty damn good
I've worn 'normal' contact lenses for around 5 years now, they're easily one of the the best decisions I ever made. Love them. Mine are pretty much the standard ones you get these days - you wear them during the day and take them out at night, and throw them away after a month. My eyes don't get sore at all, and I've had them in constantly for over a week before with no soreness. I usually wear them for two or three days just because I'm forgetful and lazy, so two out of three nights I either can't be bothered to take them out or just forget. The only problem I've had is that when I'm concentrating, such as during a sim-race, I forget to blink and the surface dries out, so when I do blink *occasionally* they get dragged out by my eyelid. It doesn't hurt, but it's a pain in the arse to go and put them back in again.

I also have some coloured ones, yellow cats' eye ones with a vertical slit pupil. These are the same as the others (you shouldn't have them in for more than a day) but they last a year instead of a month. They look *awesome*, I mean really fantastic, but are a pain in the arse to wear. The main place I wear them is when I go out to clubs, pubs and gigs at night. These places are very dark and your pupil expands to compensate - this usually means it grows bigger than the hole in the middle of the lens and causes the edges of your vision to look a little blurry and (in my case as that's the colour of the lens) yellow. They're also a lot thicker than transparent lenes and so are much harder to get in.

Don't be put off my me, as I would say the slight inconvenience outweighs how they look, if you're into that kind of thing, but I would advise trying ordinary transparent contacts for a few weeks first as you'll need the practice getting them in and out. Although i can put mine in in a few seconds without a mirror these days, for the first week or so, it used to take me a good 20 minutes swearing in front of a mirror to get them in properly.

Mine look like this:

They cost me just under £50 for the pair, but as I'm short sighted and so wear normal corrective contacts too, mine are special ones that are both coloured and corrective. Non-corrective coloured ones are around a quarter of the price.
For the record, I opened the thread in a tab when TVE's OP was the only one. I look like an idiot now because my response was already commented well before I replied.....

As for the how long to wear them, I take mine out daily. Around an hour before I go to bed, they get too dried out to do anything without constantly blinking, so I take them out. I have forgotten several times and they just dry out a good bit over night. A lot of blinking in the morning and dropping a few drops of saline in the eye helps. Also, the steam from the morning shower (I'm a morning person with showers) helps them too.

Mine are suppose to be 2 week, then throw them out. I wear them around 2 to 3 months then toss. Costs about $35 per box of 6 and you need obviously left and right, so $70 for 6 pair. That lasts me anywhere from a year to a year and a half. I still have 3 pair left from buying them last January.

I was on a bike trip (motorcycle) by myself once. Rode about 200 miles when I stopped for a quick bite to eat. Gave my eyes a little rub and suddenly I couldn't see! (My eyes are pretty bad. I wouldn't recognize my own kids 5 feet in front of me without corrective lenses.) Contact was gone I thought! And here I am 200 miles from home out in the middle of nowhere. Turns out, the contact just pushed up and stuck behind my eyelid, which will happen now and then. A little finessing and it fell back over my eye.

Would have been quite difficult to ride the motorcycle 200 miles home with seeing double from losing one contact.
too expensive for what it does (make you look like a douche)
#15 - JJ72
Coloured contact lens are obviously less easy to "breath" in, you can use it for up to 5 or 6 hours probably in one go, vision isn't a problem as long as the area around the pupil is clear, i guess you are just going to change the colour of the Iris anyway?

I've used them a few times, but just for slightly lighter colours or a slight bluerish tone, anything vastly different from your original colour is too pretentcious in my opinion, people who wear them regularly often have some issues with self recognition....like trying to look more like people from other races.
get them, they are amazing!! get (if they have them there) clarity brand lenses, and clear care cleaner (the easiest/coolest cleaner and cheapest/longest lasting lenses).

one question for the contact lense guru's

my vision keeps getting worse, and im 14!!

i wear them pretty much every day, usually except weekends, for about 13-15 hours a day, is this too much? if no is the computer screen doing the damage? what else could it be? by the time im 30 i will have negative vision
For vision correction, the gas-permeable hard lenses are the best. It's not uncommon to end up with 20/15 corrected vision with hard lenses. Because of surface tension in the fluid between the cornea and hard lens, they tend to "cure" cornea related astigmtism over time, and prevent cornea changes from changing your prescription.

In the USA these are somewhat rare these days, because it takes longer to acclimate to wearing them, and most people aren't aware of the vision improvement unless they've actually tried hard lenses.
#18 - Woz
I tried disposable for a while and I have gone back to glasses.

What was the killer was being able to tell the difference between right way around and inside out. Trouble is you only find out after you have poked yourself in the eye to put the things in.

If they are inside out they just flick out of your eye as you blink. Then you go through a clean, rinse, poke yourself in the eyes cycle until you get it right.

Not fun. No too bad once they are in but dry your eyes out after a while.

If you are going to get them get onces that give you cat like eyes or that just make your eyes look white. Freak people out
I want contact lenses... I hate using glasses now, they get dirty, I can't used sunglasses, I can't see shit if I take them off to rest... >_< DO NOT WANT!!

I only need the money for them hehe!...
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, some really usefull information here

Crashgate - Cool looking lens, and thanks for the detailes information.

Mrodgers - Haha, you don't look like a fool mate It's just my english knowlege that sometimes put me back when it comes to describing what the actually point is / what I need help with.

So if I understand right, they can be a bitch to put on? I might should just buy a week's supply of daily lences without correction, to get a hold on the putting-them-on thing, aswell to get used to that.
And 'aye, it's only to change the color of the iris for parties.

I mean, I canot go on work with them, because that would just be .. strange, and I guess working 8 hours in front of a computer will me my eyes dry and a pain in the ass with the lense.
#21 - JJ72
Quote from The Very End : So if I understand right, they can be a bitch to put on? I might should just buy a week's supply of daily lences without correction, to get a hold on the putting-them-on thing, aswell to get used to that.
And 'aye, it's only to change the color of the iris for parties.

They are not hard to put on/take away, sometimes they move a little bit but usually you can get it out..

Just don't get up close to very hot objects for a long period of time, or it might melt on your eyeball.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?
haha

I wonder if they actually can?
Quote from The Very End :
I mean, I canot go on work with them, because that would just be .. strange, and I guess working 8 hours in front of a computer will me my eyes dry and a pain in the ass with the lense.

I work with a computer all day and usually spend a good 4 hours on mine at home when I get back and never really had any kind of problem with my eyes drying out.

Quote from Woz :
What was the killer was being able to tell the difference between right way around and inside out. Trouble is you only find out after you have poked yourself in the eye to put the things in.

With mine, it's pretty easy to tell if they're inside out when you hold them on the end of your finger.

Quote from logitekg25 :
i wear them pretty much every day, usually except weekends, for about 13-15 hours a day, is this too much? if no is the computer screen doing the damage? what else could it be? by the time im 30 i will have negative vision

It's been pretty conclusively proven that computer screens don't affect your eyesight, and also that wearing corrective lenses also doesn't make your eyes 'lazy' or anything, making your vision worse. You're only 14, possibly it's just the way you're body is growing that's causing much of it, and it'll sort itself out when you reach 20 or so. If you're short-sighted then you're in luck as most people will slowly tend towards long-sightedness as they get older, which in short-sighted people means your eyesight actually improves.
#25 - JJ72
Quote from Crashgate3 :haha

I wonder if they actually can?

If they really could I would be blind by now.

(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG