The online racing simulator
#1 - mumu
keep MS Sidewinder wheel or buy Logitech G25?
Hi,

I have the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel with FF. Should i keep this wheel or buy the Logitech G25? I didn't try the G25 yet. How are these two wheels in comparison? Is the G25 worth the money if i change from MS Sidewinder? Just want to hear some opinions, thanks.
definitely. the g25 has a shifter, and a wheel with more rotations.
Quote from mumu :Hi,

I have the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel with FF. Should i keep this wheel or buy the Logitech G25? I didn't try the G25 yet. How are these two wheels in comparison? Is the G25 worth the money if i change from MS Sidewinder? Just want to hear some opinions, thanks.

I switched from the Sidewinder to a G25 a couple years ago, there is no comparison between the two really. G25 has better pedals, a shifter, more rotation, and the FFB is so much smoother. G25 is definitely worth the money if you have it.
#4 - mumu
ok thanks, i'll give the G25 a try.
cheaper solution?
anyone want to recommend any cheaper solution than the g25, havent got my license yet and want to start up with somthing else
Quote from LFSn00b :Also DFP or DFGT is a considerable deal too. Not sure are they any good though.

DFGT is a fantastic wheel for the money...probably the best bang for the buck available. It's pointless even considering a DFP these days.

The only downside to the DFGT is the pedals. The are more than adequate as far as cheap pedals go, but i'd recommend looking to upgrade to a good set at at later date.
thanks
thanks
so logitech is the drivers choice i guess, thats what it sounds like
Quote from D.NIELSEN :thanks
so logitech is the drivers choice i guess, thats what it sounds like

I agree, they have the best durability if i remember correctly. I have heard the Fanatec Porsche wheels break often, as I know someone that had to replace the whole system at least 3 times in a year.
Quote from mumu :Hi,

I'd look at what Logitech say is new and improved in the G27, that will give you a list of what might not be quite so thrilling about the G25. Whatever is on that list is the least you might have to learn to live with(out) on a G25.

I'd also consider a new mobo, cpu and 4 GB of ram, and probably a few other nice and useful bits, as right now you can get some pretty useful kit for about that sort of money. This stuff could have a much wider impact on your life. It could easily turn out to be much better value for the same money.

No matter which one you happen to look at, game controllers cost way too much, and wear out too quickly once they try to offer anything more than the basics. This perspective was gained from reading things people have posted once they are having troubles or finding things that annoyed them about their choice and said so.

Personally, and more generally, I have an MS Sidewinder stick, and that has lasted and lasted like a champ through many, many flight sim hours. I got a momo and one or two other bits from Logitech, and so far that has all been an absolutely fine experience. I have a few controllers bearing the Saitek brand name and I would suggest avoiding that brand under all circumstances to avoid disappointment, they have all had features that ultimately were not entirely wonderful, not bad, but really not great either. More than that I can't personally vouch for.

Hope this insight is useful to you.
Quote from MudPuppy :I'd also consider a new mobo, cpu and 4 GB of ram, and probably a few other nice and useful bits, as right now you can get some pretty useful kit for about that sort of money. This stuff could have a much wider impact on your life. It could easily turn out to be much better value for the same money.

Is this because a G25 is pretty heavy for an old system?
I've had my Sidewinder FF for 8 years now and it's starting to die really slowly. Thinking of getting a G25 aswell (as G27 doesn't offer much more for 2,5 times the price), but not sure if my pc can handle it.
Quote from NightEye :Is this because a G25 is pretty heavy for an old system?

No idea, as I alluded to, I don't have a G25. I don't think a well designed game controller should give a computer a hard time myself.

Quote :I've had my Sidewinder FF for 8 years now and it's starting to die really slowly.

It's amazing how long Sidewinder product take to die sometimes; mine, a stick, has been a tiny bit sloppy for some years now, but still does the job just fine. I know at least two others doing about the same, I'm not sure how many years old they all must be, but they are still hanging in there. I looked around for a replacement when I first noticed the tiniest bit of slop in the system, and in 2 or 3 years looking I did not find any kind of bargains with which I would feel totally happy. I've been watching things come and go with interest during that time though.

Quote : Thinking of getting a G25 aswell (as G27 doesn't offer much more for 2,5 times the price), but not sure if my pc can handle it.

Mostly this just reflects how unrealistically expensive controllers are becoming compared to everything else in the system. I have a feeling this level of price modelling may not be sustainable for very much longer. Not as long as we have to live in the real world. There might be better value to be had by building one's own too. It's becoming a very attractive proposition. Within reason, you could have almost any wheel etc. that took your fancy, into the bargain at that point.
#12 - mumu
Quote from LFSn00b :If you also have money, a S2 license

I ordered a S2 Licence a week ago. When I wanted to open a new account at that time I really wondered that my Email address was in use. I did not know that I opened an account back in 2006

@MudPuppy
I also had a very good experience with Microsoft hardware
( I really diddn´t expect that from Mircosoft).

I think my computer is fast enough to render LFS smoothly in every situation (Intel Q6600 @3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, DFI LanParty with x48 chipset, Leadtek 280GTX) but thanks for the advice.

Yes quality hardware is expensive, the Microsoft wheel was the most expensive one when it came out if remember correctly. I think I will wait till Gran Turismo 5 is out and then I will buy the Driving Force GT. I also had bad experience with SAITEK, the drivers were horrible.

If there was a new Microsoft wheel I would definitely buy it.
Quote from mumu :I think my computer is fast enough to render LFS smoothly in every situation (Intel Q6600 @3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, DFI LanParty with x48 chipset, Leadtek 280GTX) but thanks for the advice.

Well, yes, I was replying to the other guy's question on that bit.

As it happens you and I have fairly similar specs on our systems. I can't figure out a good video card yet though. I don't overclock my Q6600 (not sure I really need to frankly!) But I got the feeling a bit more oomph in the video card department might be a smart move.

I nearly always go for Leadtek as they are good value and dependable, however I got a cheapy Asus 8600GT when I built this one nearly a year ago, to save a few pennies for later (like now really!), as there was nothing very inspiring available or in stock then. I did not have any PCI cards at that time, so it just filled in the hardware gap I had.

How are you finding that Leadtek? I don't quite feel that I sufficiently understand the nvidia numbers newer than 9x to make a purchase decision yet.
#14 - mumu
All GTX 280 (65nm) cards have overheating problems, the GTX 285 and GTX 275 (55nm) are a bit faster because of a higher clockfrequency and they don´t overheat. I installed 3 case-fans to cool it down.

The GTX 275 is the best choice if you want a fast card and save money. I think our CPUs are too slow for the upcoming GT300. These cards would boost your PC to a new level in comparison to the 8600GT.

You have to decide if it´s worth the money or if you buy a whole new system. I think for the upcoming games like Crysis 2 our systems will be too slow.

My card is quite fast, I played NFS shift on max settings, and it ran very smooth.
Thanks for the info, the heat issues would be a bit of a show stopper for me, I like very quiet machines so more fans would really mess it all up. Problem is, It's not that bad as it is, so this is going to be a bit trickier to decide what to do than it usually is. Oh well!

Wonder if I should maybe just max out in 9x series and call it a day for this system. I sure won't be buying another system any time soon. I tend to run somewhat behind the tech curve anyway, so it's not a big deal I guess.

Glad you gave me a heads up on that heat thing, thanks again! Is it the overclocked ones that have it, or is it all of them you you think? I am now wondering if a 260 might be a fair bet for a compromise maybe without heat.

I am also starting to suspect that a bigger WS monitor might get me better bang for the buck at this time though.

I'm not really in any sort of rush either.
#16 - mumu
The first GTX 260 and all GTX 280 were produced in 65nm, but they are not on the market anymore. ALL "GTX" GPUs in 65nm have that issue. There were slightly overclocked versions of 65nm GPUs, but in my eyes that was ridiculous.

The newer GTX 260, the GTX 275 and GTX 285 do NOT have the heat issue, even the overclocked ones. Never buy a used GTX 260, except you are sure that it is the 55nm version. But don´t rely 100% on that, there are reviews for almost every GTX card on the net. Read them before you buy a new card, there are always some black sheeps which have more or less serious problems.

There is also a speciality with these GTX 260 GPUS, there are some with 216 and some with 192 shader units, the 216 is the faster one of course. So if you want to buy a GTX 260 make sure its the 55nm version with 216 shader units. I don´t know if there are cards in 65nm and with 216 shader units but it´s better to take care of that and maybe ask twice than to buy old overheating crap. I´m saying that because I saw some german online shops which sell some old 65nm and don´t mention that in the description.
#17 - mumu
Thanks, MudPuppy. And sorry for the late answer

I've got a G25 now, and I love it. Much more responsive than the Sidewinder. Feels really natural to drive with (as I'm used to a manual car).
Quote from NightEye :Thanks, MudPuppy. And sorry for the late answer

I've got a G25 now, and I love it. Much more responsive than the Sidewinder. Feels really natural to drive with (as I'm used to a manual car).

No worries on the late answer, I've been a bit preoccupied with a wall trying to fall off of the back of my home!

Glad you got one you like. Hope it didn't do too much damage financially.
Not really, €149 incl postage, whereas Logitech sells it for €350 excl postage :P

Good luck with your home! Sounds pretty serious.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG