The online racing simulator
trackir 360° turn around
(28 posts, started )
#1 - 128MB
trackir 360° turn around
i have a trackir 4, and didnt use it for quite some time, i started lfs with an early s2 demo i think, back then i could look 360° with it, now in the new one it only works 180 ° and then it just stopt :/

i dont have this in flight sim games so its not the trackir itself, why is this restriction ??? it used to be so cool to look around the whole car and look to the back, i could even lean out of the car a bit
It's in LFS since the last patch.

In real life, when you are in a racing car, you turn your head 360°.
This has changed in patch Z, and now the maximum is 180° (left to right).
#3 - 128MB
can i change it back? cous i miss the freedom

yaay 100th post ^^
Nope, unless you revert to the previous patch, which isn't recommended.
#5 - 128MB
too bad, cant i start a petition of something that i can give to the developers? ^^
Quote from 128MB :too bad, cant i start a petition of something that i can give to the developers? ^^

Yeah, that'll work.
Make sure to include the following in your petition: Dynamic Weather, Dynamic Track Temperature, Dirt spreading to Track, Night Racing, a busy pit crew around your car when doing a pit stop, working pit lights, oh and the Scirocco of course :spin:
Quote from 128MB :too bad, cant i start a petition of something that i can give to the developers? ^^

Well, technically 360° turn was unrealistic, so they already fixed it.
They shouldn't unfix it, I mean, when you can turn your head 360° left to right, I think you're a hero.
Should be an option, like force cockpit view.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Well, technically 360° turn was unrealistic, so they already fixed it.
They shouldn't unfix it, I mean, when you can turn your head 360° left to right, I think you're a hero.

yeah not 360° but more than that :/ like 250° is fine
I would really like to bring this back up. I'm thinking about getting TrackIR, just so I can look left/right over my shoulder to see if any cars are around me. But with the restriction (also with mouse view) set to 90 degrees, what's the use of TrackIR when I can use the view buttons for the same effect?
I use a 50 degree FOV so you can see absolutely nothing through your back windows. Even with a 90 degree FOV you can just about see something tiny through the right rear window.

I can move my head - without moving my shoulders - at least 100 degrees. And not even talking about my eyes themselfs. I can look almost straight behind me when turning my head and eyes into that direction (ofcourse with only one eye, as the human body is made to look ahead).
And even in a good harness you'd be able to twist your body at least a bit.

90 Degrees is definately way too few.
I would also like to make a note on this.

I just recently picked up LFS again and me and a bunch of friends are going to start doing some more sim racing. I have a TrackIR4 Pro and my roommate is looking into getting a TrackIR5.

Downloaded and installed patch Z and now I can't look behind me. Huh? Not only that, but I can't even look /slightly/ behind me. I look straight to the side and if someone is up near my rear wheel I just can't see them.

Quote from BlakjeKaas :Well, technically 360° turn was unrealistic, so they already fixed it.

I'd like any of you who thing 180 is "realistic" to sit in your chair facing forward, and turn your head and eyes to the side and see how far you can see.

I'm not sure about you guys but WITHOUT moving my shoulders, I can see, with peripheral vision, FARTHER around than 360. As in, if I turn my head to the left, I can see things that are behind me to the right.

The TrackIR is an awesome device which allows for some very amazing immersion and useful view control when you're in the game, but when it stops hard right at 90 degrees it really hurts. It's distracting, unintuitive, and worse, it means that I have to once again use buttons to get a full realistic field of vision, which is the whole purpose I got the trackIR in the first place.

Remember that computer screens are a poor representation of vision. In real life, we have nearly 180degrees of peripheral vision just looking straight forward. With a computer screen that's cut in half. So, if you figure that in real life you could only turn your head 90 degrees to the one side, you could STILL see directly behind you by moving your eyes and using peripheral vision.

Basically, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to glance behind you. As it is, you can't even check your blind spots! Your drivers license instructor would be very dissapointed if you never bothered looking more than 90 degrees to each side when changing lanes!
we gotta have a way to vote what we want most
Quote from logitekg25 :we gotta have a way to vote what we want most

No we don't, and Tresch, you can't possibly have a field of view greater than 360° because 360° is a full circle. Anyway, the next patch (and in fact the current testpatch) will revert view rotation back to how it used to be, so just get the testpatch or wait for the next official one
Morpha: Thanks for the good news!

As to your comment, I certainly can!

if I look as far as I can to the left, without moving my shoulders, I can see a little bit to my rear right. Vice versa if I look to the right, so there's a little bit of overlap behind me. So my full field of view is really something like about 390-400degrees. Try it yourself!

Granted, much of that is peripheral vision. If you're measuring what I can actually look at directly, it's narrower than 360, probably closer to 270-300, but you need to add about 90 to that to make up for the limited peripheral vision that the monitor offers.
I'm sorry all, but common sense insists I speak up.

There is a rear view option in LFS, and I feel compelled to direct both sides of this argument to that fact, and suggest they review what has been said in this thread with that thought in mind.

The whole topic takes on a whole different and perhaps more relevant shape when seen in that light.
Do you even know how Track-IR even works? Reverse look is no good in Track IR unless it's a smooth rotate look.

Anyway, the latest test patches have re-introduced full 360 degree free rotate view the way it used to be. It's only restricted to 90 degrees only in FCV (Forced cockpit view) enabled servers only.
Quote from Tresch : I'd like any of you who thing 180 is "realistic" to sit in your chair facing forward, and turn your head and eyes to the side and see how far you can see.

Now do the same thing wearing a racing helmet.
Hi, first post.
I recieved a mail notifying me about the z25 patch so I changed my flying stick for my wheel for a spin.

I use virtual reality goggles, so the angle limitation was a pain. I found that it was removed in the las patch, which is a pleasure! Thanks for that! But there is still a limitation in the up/down axis, I can't look down from a certain point. Wearing VR goggles that feels like if someone is holding your head from that point so you can't move it farther.

From what I've read in this thread, the limit can't be removed, but I'm posting to show how absurd is to limit in-cockpit view angles when you are using your own head to look around and, unlike with trackir, the movement has a 1:1 ratio.

Next reply will be "why do you need to look down while racing"
Why do you need to look down while racing?

Actually.. why do you? Especially in LFS when there's no animations below the wheel height, or anything at all.

Because of what I tried to explain. Using VR goggles (well, a head mounted display with head tracker) I have the need that the application gives a complete freedom to the camera orientation. It's very uncomfortable to move your head and see that the view is not moving with it. The movement limitation is given by my own real body. When I want to look over my shoulder I must really move my head there and so on.

It's not that I have to look there while racing, of course! Just a second means go off-road very likely. But, very often, as I can enjoy the cockpit in beautiful stereo-3D I like to just stand in the cockpit after the race and look around. The demo cars are very detailed now and are a joy for the eyes. But that view angle lock is a pain.
Also, sometimes someone comes to my home to try my particular way of simming, and says "I can't look down" and I must explain that it's a limitation of the simulator.

I don't have competition in my veins, what I like is the feeling of 'being there' that the combination of physics, sound and stereoscopic graphics give.
Wow, a setup like that and still on a demo licence. You're wasting your life man. XD
Quote from JasonJ :Wow, a setup like that and still on a demo licence. You're wasting your life man. XD

Probably... but that's another matter.
I'm more into flight simulation. I downloaded LFS when I saw the videos in youtube about the deformation tire model. Enjoyed it a lot, but once I placed the flight stick on its placed the wheel has been months gathering dust. The last patch called my attention again on LFS, and seeing that the angle lock was removed on the left/right axis I decided to talk about this on the forum this time.

When you are married it not that easy to pay for software and add-ons. You have to give justification to the boss for every expenditure. I think I'll take advantage of the many expenditures we are having lately so the S2 license will pass overlooked. Many know what I'm talking about
How much were the goggles and which ones do you use?

I've been thinking of getting some of these for a while now, but have been put off by the 640x480 resolution.

trackir 360° turn around
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG