The online racing simulator
Is a rear antiroll bar neccesary?
(32 posts, started )
It might be more convenient, but I doubt brand name coilovers are any instant handling enhancement.
Coilovers, or a spring/damper 'upgrade' are just as likely to ruin the handling as they are to improve it. And if the addition of a rear ARB is the point in question, I don't think changing the ride wheel rates would be the best route.

Coilovers are very fashionable in the Max Power world though. Even though most cars come with coilovers as standard (in so much that the coil is over the dampers).
Take a golf Mk4, put coil overs on it - if you really want to lower the car, so excuse the phrase - to put it on its arse, then yes, you can remove the ARB and run with out a problem. However... the MOT man (in the UK), will have issues with this. The car was designed with a ARB in place, and if the MOT man (or Woman) knows it should have one - it will fail its MOT. The other way is to cut the ARB and only have it going half way - so effectively, cutting the centre out. This allows additional lowering - but again the MOT man (or Woman) if they know there golfs, will again fail the car.

May I ask the OP - why are you asking? I am just trying to understand the thought behind your question or as to why you came to consider the theory.
Why does removing/deactivating the ARB allow the car to lowered more? That will just reduce ground clearance even more when cornering (via excess bodyroll), and ruin the handling even more than just lowering it.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why does removing/deactivating the ARB allow the car to lowered more? That will just reduce ground clearance even more when cornering (via excess bodyroll), and ruin the handling even more than just lowering it.

Presumably, it's a physical thing. The ARB must in some way restrict the level to which the wheels can get closer to the body of the car.

People that lower their car that much anyway, don't care, (and certainly don't understand), about handling. It's all about looks. The need for ever shorter springs is also tied in with their love of as big as possible wheels. Larger wheels lift the car, thus requiring shorter springs/dampers to lower the car back down again to where it started.

As for fully adjustable suspensions. Well like you say, more risk of messing the handling up than improving it, in practice.
I am not saying I advise it - its common on the Mark 4 - The handling is pretty terrible as it is - and you cant make it any worse.

The reason it has be removed is that it fouls the drive shafts. This can be avoided tho with an uprated or adjustable ARB (whiteline). An standard Audi TT Front ARB will fit and goes over the top. The whitline actually goes over the drive shafts rather than under it so it doesnt catch.

Having done a bit of reading on this this morning, its possible to do this and "recommended" (possibly by certain mechanics and the manurfacturer themselves) by VW/Audi on the RS4 to remove the ARB with out any detrimental effect.

Going a bit OT here....

Is a rear antiroll bar neccesary?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG