The online racing simulator
Simple Ranking System
(18 posts, started )
#1 - JTM29
Simple Ranking System
Hey, i got bored the other day waiting for a mate to come play LFS with me so i thought i would make a simple "Ranking" system based off your online stats. Its a very simple formula and i made it just for a bit of fun to see who was the better driver between me and a couple of mates.
I thought i might post it to see what you guys think, if you guys like if and have suggestions i migh keep it going and make it better, but if not ill just leave it.

Ok this is how it works, you get 3 points for every 1st place, 2 points for every 2nd place, 1 point for every 3rd, than that is divided by how many races you have finished. Then you get 1 point for every pole you get and divide that by how many qualifications you have done, after that you times it by 25 and you get a number between 0 and 100, to get 100 you would need to have won every race and qualification you have been in so its pretty tough.

http://www.v8extreme.com/test/

Heres some examples,
Races won: 39
Second: 28
Third: 25
Finished: 145
Qualifications: 14
Pole Positions: 4
And my rank would be 41.28

MunroGTS
Races won: 15
Second: 8
Third: 8
Finished: 41
Qualifications: 7
Pole Positions: 4
His rank would be 56.35

Anyways, i hope you guys like it, i know its pretty lame but i was bored :P
Feedback welcome
No ranking can be even remotely fair since you dont drive against the same opponents as someone else.
Drop it thank you.
#3 - axus
Is it possible to compare every PB of yours (only on tracks where you have more than 10 laps for instance) to every WR based on license name as a percentage? Then multipy all those percentages, take the reciprocal of the percentage and multiply by a hundread. This would give you something like

Score: 79 at 103 car/track combinations.

That is a lot more complex but far more accurate I think.
Oh well think it can be quiet funny to see what your ranking is.
As Sawyer said bit cool and 'rude' it isn't very objective for the reasons Sawyer said but it is just nice to see what your ranking could be
Nice program although it's use isn't really usefull. I'd suggest you try to perfectionise it and adjust it, like getting a percentage or a number on certain other thinks, since wins, number of races (you can just do fun races, or start racing in the last lap of a race and finish like that also, ....), try to fit it with something else..
No, not more stats.. Stats drive me insane.
Quote from WGooden :No, not more stats.. Stats drive me insane.

Hatefull to see how slow you are and to see in the stas that you stay slow huh...?
Some of you guys have no sense of humour or fun sometimes...
No... It's who and how many people you drive against. And there would be people like Andre who would just abuse it by winning race after race by themselves. I would just get more pissed when I get wrecked knowing that some stat is going to be affected, thats why I dont like stats.
#9 - Reed
Agreed. Stats drive me to insanity. I have to deal with them enough at work! The boss is always calling, asking why my average sale is lower this month than last. Screw off!
No, all it does is makes people biased and if you have a low stat youll be kicked off a server for being n00b.

Leave it as then you get a good race with slower people at the back and faster at the front/
A true driver ranking system would be nice but I don’t think you can base it on what you have there, good attempt, but not right. There are too many variables, car/track/race length/# of opponents/opponent skills/etc-etc. As been said, some ppl just go roundie round for hours on end racing against stupid AI or alone just to boost their LFSW rankings, means nothing of their skills.

If you look at LFSW stats you will find a comprehensive record of every race that every driver has ever been in since mid 2003, it’s all there if you really want to try and decipher it into a real ranking system.

Keep at it, I don’t think anyone has seriously given it a go.
You could introduce a system where each racer has a ranking, and if you beat someone with a higher ranking than you in a race then you gain more ranking than if you beat no one or if you beat a bunch of new people. It would be tricky to get a good formula but I think it could be interesting.
What's with the ranking.
Enjoy the driving - the good and the bad
If your good - well great
If your bad - well keep at it to impove

As long as you race fair and clean and enjoy
We used to have a very basic ranking on LFSW, do you guys remember? IIRC it was called winratio or sth like that. Just a percentage really and I'm not sure how it was calculated, but I think it just took into account 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. I hated it when I started LFS as I hardly ever made it to the podium, so my percentage was horrid . It actually kept me from joining some servers where too many ppl were faster than me. I wouldn't care anymore, but I'm still glad it's gone and don't want any of that back
As i said before it was just a bit of fun, i didnt really expect to take it futher, juts having a little competetion between me and a couple mates im not going to do anything to it as i dont really see the point now but ill still use it between me and friends
I hate ranking, there are allways people out there who just looks at the statistics. Which destroys the point of a ranking system.
The danger in any ranking is when people start using it for other purposes.

The 'inventor' may think it's just for fun. But then someone says you can only take part in the next race if your ranking is higher than 50. Next, people start to adapt their behaviour to get a higher ranking (for instance by disconnecting from a race when they see they can't finish on the podium).

Statistics are nice... until you use them.

EDIT: Noticed this statement on the site:

Quote :V8Extreme does not garentee its accuracy or promote its use to judge.

Very sensible.
imo leagues should get together to form one or more ranking list(s).

at least there'll never be a rank on lfsworld, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread

Simple Ranking System
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG