The online racing simulator
Jedi Religion Discrimination
(86 posts, started )
Quote from gezmoor :I know the whole scenario appears to be a little on the comical side, however I have to say having read the article I am more than a little concerned about the way the Tesco staff behaved. If he's giving a true account of the situation, I think their behaviour is completey out of order.

If I were the guy, I would be making a formal complaint about the way I was treated also. It's not acceptable for staff to intimidate, (or anywhere close to infact), any member of the public irrespective of what the company policy might be on dress code in the supermarket. They are there to SERVE.

I could have a rather long rant about the behaviour of supermarket employees at this point, but I won't because I actually woke up in a rarther good mood and I'm not going to spoil the rest of my day.

If you were that clerk, you couldn't help but laugh. Just admit it.
i lol'd ...
Quote from gezmoor :I know the whole scenario appears to be a little on the comical side, however I have to say having read the article I am more than a little concerned about the way the Tesco staff behaved. If he's giving a true account of the situation, I think their behaviour is completey out of order.

If I were the guy, I would be making a formal complaint about the way I was treated also. It's not acceptable for staff to intimidate, (or anywhere close to infact), any member of the public irrespective of what the company policy might be on dress code in the supermarket. They are there to SERVE.

I could have a rather long rant about the behaviour of supermarket employees at this point, but I won't because I actually woke up in a rarther good mood and I'm not going to spoil the rest of my day.

You just stick up for that guy cos he likes Sci Fi more than you so you don't look like a weirdo, but sticking up for him makes you sound like a weirdo. It's a fake religion, it's based on something they ACTUALLY saw, it's not even a prophecy.
Quote :It's a fake religion

Is there any other kind?
Quote from Becky Rose :Is there any other kind?

Well I knew you would say that. Jediism is based on a modern art (film) where as the 3 main religions of the world are not. They are based on old scripts in a book, all 3 of which closely tie together. Sure you may not believe in a god but please, the seriousness of Islam could never be taken in the same was as Jediism. It's a mockery of all peoples beliefs and it just gives weird people an excuse to argue with people over nothing.
Quote from BlueFlame :It's a mockery of all peoples beliefs and it just gives weird people an excuse to argue with people over nothing.

Oi!

Live long and prosper! \o/

Yes gona moan, live with that

I know the jedi "Stuff" are False and such things, but if someon wanna make a religion is ok, and i dont see why all of you make jokes and fun of that religion , when every person in the world have the "Right" to choose what ever he want to belivie, So don´t make fun of other ppl religion

Or... you like when ppl who dont know you , start to say whatever you listen or play or whatever you like say, "That is Sh!T" and start make fun of you..

Is the same case when someon atack LFS saying "This game is sh!tzor and have dx8 with such a lowwzzz graph!czzz sh!itzoors", everyone in the forum start to "Defend" the game.

Well is the same for that guy...

Sorry for moan , but i dont see the point of make fun of other ppl beliefs

Again sorry
Quote :but i dont see the point of make fun of other ppl beliefs

That guy can't really believe he's a Jedi, and if he does he's in quite a bit of trouble. Whereas a great many people defined as Muslims and Christians etc, are actually firm believers that they are in fact, Muslims and Christians.
Quote from Electrik Kar :That guy can't really believe he's a Jedi, and if he does he's in quite a bit of trouble. Whereas a great many people defined as Muslims and Christians etc, are actually firm believers that they are in fact, Muslims and Christians.

Did you have a nice Eid EK?
What's Eid?

edit: ahhaa, it's ok- I looked it up. Haha, no I didn't participate this year. When I was in Turkey I tried fasting for a day or two. Was interesting. My girlfriends immediate family is much more communist than Muslim, so there was no strict laying down of the law.
My girlfriend says she was disappointed that no-one gave her any sugar (seker) this year.
Quote from Electrik Kar :My girlfriend says she was disappointed that no-one gave her any sugar (seker) this year.

Haha I guess you'll give it to her soon then?
-
(Electrik Kar) DELETED by Electrik Kar
#39 - JJ72
Quote from BlueFlame :Well I knew you would say that. Jediism is based on a modern art (film) where as the 3 main religions of the world are not. They are based on old scripts in a book, all 3 of which closely tie together. Sure you may not believe in a god but please, the seriousness of Islam could never be taken in the same was as Jediism. It's a mockery of all peoples beliefs and it just gives weird people an excuse to argue with people over nothing.

So what you're saying is.

A fiction book is more believable than a fiction movie?
#41 - JJ72
[useless reminder]StarWars is also a book[/useless reminder]
The difference is, not enough time has passed for people to forget that those films were made purely for entertainment. And as a sociecty, we're a little less gullible these days (although probably not by a lot).
Quote from Klutch :So what you're saying is.

A fiction book is more believable than a fiction movie?

I'm with you on this one. I think its just as bad to believe what is written in the "bible" as to believe everything about Star Wars and such.

Everyone always say that the "bible" is God's words and whatever, tho its written by mortals, so it inaccurate and crappy.

Tho I have easier to believe in Jediism than in Christianity.
Quote :I'm with you on this one. I think its just as bad to believe what is written in the "bible" as to believe everything about Star Wars and such.

It doesn't mean you need to find the nearest movie and build a whole religion out of it. What's really to stop anyone from forming a Harry Potter religion where everyone wears dark round glasses and carries a cane that they think lets them do magic? Or A Jaws religion, or a Lethal Weapon religion? Well society says that nothing is really stopping anyone from these things- there's a basic religious tolerance and freedom of religion operating, which is actually a good thing. Want to form a cult? You can. You can make up the rules (Banana Sex Cult!!???) and people will follow you around like you are Jesus. You are now living a creative life infused with profound meaning and significance. Terrific.

I'm technically Church of England, which is Henry the 8th's made up religion. But really, why should I want to have anything to do with that? Why should we indulge all of this silliness? So some Jedi guy thinks he can wear a hood wherever he likes because it's his 'religion'. That's what he thinks. The people at Tescos have their own ideas about that. They're not intending to stamp out Jedism (religious intolerance this is not) it's obviously more of a security thing. The reason they don't extend the same rule across everyone is because they're aware that there's a significant section of society who sincerely believes that they're required to wear head covering in public in order to stay within the bounds of their chosen/imposed faiths. This Jedi guy cannot possibly be a sincere believer. He's just an attention seeker with a vague point to make about religious relativism who's feigning discrimination. His point is exactly what you're referring to, but it doesn't mean that he's not being silly!
It's pretty obvious from the story that the guy was LOOKING for trouble. Plenty of religions wear headgear, but how many of them carry cards around to announce it to anyone who might ask them to remove it? And why was that his first response rather than just "I can't, it's a religious item". I really doubt any pleb on the floor of a supermarket is going to start an argument about that.
Quote from BlueFlame :it just gives weird people an excuse to argue with people over nothing.

Are we talking about Jediism or religion in general here?
Quote from BlueFlame :You just stick up for that guy cos he likes Sci Fi more than you so you don't look like a weirdo, but sticking up for him makes you sound like a weirdo. It's a fake religion, it's based on something they ACTUALLY saw, it's not even a prophecy.

Islam, Judaism and Christianity are based on things people ACTUALLY saw, too. Just a long time ago, in a land far away.

If you'd said "in a land far far away" there I'd have actually laughed
Quote from Dajmin :If you'd said "in a land far far away" there I'd have actually laughed

Fixed.
Quote from Electrik Kar :It doesn't mean you need to find the nearest movie and build a whole religion out of it. What's really to stop anyone from forming a Harry Potter religion where everyone wears dark round glasses and carries a cane that they think lets them do magic? Or A Jaws religion, or a Lethal Weapon religion? Well society says that nothing is really stopping anyone from these things- there's a basic religious tolerance and freedom of religion operating, which is actually a good thing. Want to form a cult? You can. You can make up the rules (Banana Sex Cult!!???) and people will follow you around like you are Jesus. You are now living a creative life infused with profound meaning and significance. Terrific.

I'm technically Church of England, which is Henry the 8th's made up religion. But really, why should I want to have anything to do with that? Why should we indulge all of this silliness? So some Jedi guy thinks he can wear a hood wherever he likes because it's his 'religion'. That's what he thinks. The people at Tescos have their own ideas about that. They're not intending to stamp out Jedism (religious intolerance this is not) it's obviously more of a security thing. The reason they don't extend the same rule across everyone is because they're aware that there's a significant section of society who sincerely believes that they're required to wear head covering in public in order to stay within the bounds of their chosen/imposed faiths. This Jedi guy cannot possibly be a sincere believer. He's just an attention seeker with a vague point to make about religious relativism who's feigning discrimination. His point is exactly what you're referring to, but it doesn't mean that he's not being silly!

I agree 100%.

Also lol @Crashgate

Jedi Religion Discrimination
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG