The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
South City Long - Maximum Grid Size
Hi, everyone. The tracks page on LFS Manual states that the maximum grid size on the longer South City configs (SO4/SO4R/SO5/SO5R/SO6/SO6R) is 30 rather than the 32 for most other longer tracks. I can't find the source for this limit and I don't think I could find 30+ volunteers to try and test it

So, does anyone know what the source of the 30 limit in the wiki page is or do they have an MPR that contains more than 30 people on the grid at SO4?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Quote from amp88 :Hi, everyone. The tracks page on LFS Manual states that the maximum grid size on the longer South City configs (SO4/SO4R/SO5/SO5R/SO6/SO6R) is 30 rather than the 32 for most other longer tracks. I can't find the source for this limit and I don't think I could find 30+ volunteers to try and test it

So, does anyone know what the source of the 30 limit in the wiki page is or do they have an MPR that contains more than 30 people on the grid at SO4?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hm... AFAIK, it was me who wrote that down...

Source? My own experience : We couldn't have more than 30 cars at so5r during a Torsdagrace, neither we could at so4r during the iTCC.
I tried it with a saved grid with 32 AIs, and LFS did not boot that grid, nor did it start 30, it started 32 fugly BF1s with AI control.

Of course, best way to know for sure is to hop in a server, with 32 people, and let 'er rip seeing if it works.
Want more people racing than server allows "normally" ? Simple, just follow these instructions.

1. have a packed server, like 40 people
2. be sure that the rest of 8 is online, and ready to hold shift+J(join) button, and the other 32 is on the racing grid
3. now be a martyr, and spectate when the race has begin(say 3rd second of the race u spectate)
4. u tell the other 8 guys waiting to hold shift+J. The entire time!(9 seconds max)
4.1 ofcourse, ur holding shift+J also lol
5. After 12 seconds u should have more than 32 racers on track

I havent had the chance to test it, because i had been kicked out(moderate spam to notify all the users), i hope people will read more than one time and do exactly what i mean!!

If this works, we could have like 46racers (tops) racing events with ROLLING start, but please test it to find out more
Even the Seagal knows that doesn't work...
Interesting, I would be interested to test it unless a dev confirms it here, so if you organize a test give us a call we'll join.
I think it was already stated some time ago that the 30 driver limit has something to do with the amount of pit slots / garages.
Quote from Steven Seagal Is The Co :Want more people racing than server allows "normally" ? Simple, just follow these instructions.

1. have a packed server, like 40 people
2. be sure that the rest of 8 is online, and ready to hold shift+J(join) button, and the other 32 is on the racing grid
3. now be a martyr, and spectate when the race has begin(say 3rd second of the race u spectate)
4. u tell the other 8 guys waiting to hold shift+J. The entire time!(9 seconds max)
4.1 ofcourse, ur holding shift+J also lol
5. After 12 seconds u should have more than 32 racers on track

I havent had the chance to test it, because i had been kicked out(moderate spam to notify all the users), i hope people will read more than one time and do exactly what i mean!!

If this works, we could have like 46racers (tops) racing events with ROLLING start, but please test it to find out more

Its imposible, it allwos you ony 32 cars at track( some tracks 16) not only in start grid!
Impossible is nothing, count me in to test this!
Quote from dekojester :I tried it with a saved grid with 32 AIs, and LFS did not boot that grid, nor did it start 30, it started 32 fugly BF1s with AI control.

Of course, best way to know for sure is to hop in a server, with 32 people, and let 'er rip seeing if it works.

32 AI? Am i missing something? I thought it was only possible with 20 or so AI's!
Quote :Hi, everyone. The tracks page on LFS Manual states that the maximum grid size on the longer South City configs (SO4/SO4R/SO5/SO5R/SO6/SO6R) is 30 rather than the 32 for most other longer tracks. I can't find the source for this limit and I don't think I could find 30+ volunteers to try and test it

I was there when Scawen and a group of 32 of us found the 30 car limit. The great idol in the LFS development sky himself had long forgotten of the limit and produced an .exe allowing 32 cars on the grid when he increased the server cap to 47 connections.

The result was the last 2 cars appearing at the 0,0,0 world co-ordinates in 3D space (somewhere near the chicane). The restriction is because the track itself is rigged with only 30 starting slots - far in excess of the number of cars LFS supported at the time the track was created.

To change this would require redistribution of the track files and an incompatible patch - and is probably not likely to ever happen, unless it gets packaged in to a forthcoming update or was snuck in when South City was revamped for patch X. To me knowledge the restriction is still in place.

In short, this issue is because of history... South City was made at a time when LFS supported comparatively fewer simultaneous connections than it does now, and grids larger than 30 had not been considered.
Kind of annoying for MoE, though.
Thanks for the info Becky.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG