The online racing simulator
Scaleable tyre wear
(12 posts, started )
Scaleable tyre wear
I help run a local lan group for Glasgow Uni, we have a small number of people that can race, and a larger number of people who enjoy LFS. In order to get the most out of the game we have to keep the races short (those counter strike boys can't concentrate for more than 5min at a time). However for us racers there is not much challenge in a 5 min race. If you are faster and don't screw up you win. If I could scale the tyre wear to a value that actually meant that racing hard for 5-10 laps would require a pit stop then those that are using thier tyres would need to pit, and those that are not using thier tyres could stay out. Can't see much use for online servers and such like but for local events and tourneys it could be usefull. No? Thought I'd ask anyway.
Not realistic. No.
You could "scale" or handicap yourself via setups...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Setups cannot be forced on people so it is harder to keep the balance, and yes, we already use people balast but it is no where near enough and again relies on people being honest (although we can see if they have them in or not).
If the devs ever implement forced setups you could force people to run the very soft hybrid tires. That will allow for very fast laps, but at the expense of burning up the tires very quickly.
Scaleable tyre & fuel usage has been a feature of numerous games over the years but for some reason has never become a mainstay, which is a shame, as I for one have always enjoyed the ability to do a "quick" full length race.

Now that the single seaters can run for stupidly long stints without a pitstop it could be used to bring some strategy and fun back into the class. Over in the OWRL we do 1hr races and pit stop strategy used to be a major part of the race, now the thought of doing a pit stop in a race under 90 minutes is ludicrous - you only pit if you get damaged.

It's a shame, strategy is a fun and integral part of racing but LFS seems to have patched itself out of having any strategy.

I'd like to see scaleable tyre wear & fuel usage in the game, set at server side and announced in the F12 dialogue along with compulsory stops.

Failing that i'd at least like a gameplay concession in the Fox - nobody seriously races those things for 3hrs ... give us a 1,2 or 3 stop strategy decision on a 1hr event again please !
I always have and always will hate scalable fuel usage and tyre wear.

Just make a lfs only party' s with 2 5 hour races
The thought of a 2 day lan event dedicated to LFS is an awesome concept but as I'm the only person (in our LAN group) that has completed a 2 hour race I doubt that the rest of them would make the half hour mark. I wanted to do a 24hr event in stints just like the real thing, but the only other person up for it couldn't manage an hour of racing before getting distracted.
Quote from Becky Rose :Scaleable tyre & fuel usage has been a feature of numerous games over the years but for some reason has never become a mainstay, which is a shame, as I for one have always enjoyed the ability to do a "quick" full length race.

Now that the single seaters can run for stupidly long stints without a pitstop it could be used to bring some strategy and fun back into the class. Over in the OWRL we do 1hr races and pit stop strategy used to be a major part of the race, now the thought of doing a pit stop in a race under 90 minutes is ludicrous - you only pit if you get damaged.

It's a shame, strategy is a fun and integral part of racing but LFS seems to have patched itself out of having any strategy.

I'd like to see scaleable tyre wear & fuel usage in the game, set at server side and announced in the F12 dialogue along with compulsory stops.

Failing that i'd at least like a gameplay concession in the Fox - nobody seriously races those things for 3hrs ... give us a 1,2 or 3 stop strategy decision on a 1hr event again please !

Everyone Seems to hate Strategy
I'd like to see scalable fuel/tire use, too.
What's the point? LFS is trying to be as realistic as possible, how would scalable tyre/fuel wear make it more realistic?? illepall
Quote from lalathegreat :Everyone Seems to hate Strategy

In real races, people dont pit when the length is usually lower then 60 minutes.
So this "not pitting phenomenon", imho, is realistical.

On the other side, maybe it's not fun, and this is true, i admit it.

Imho the problem is in the kind of tyres.

I will take as exemplum XFR and kyn, because i have made a tourney race just 2 days ago here.

With XFR on kyn, u can use R2, R3 and R4 tyres.
The problem is that R2 became useless after 5 laps (8 minutes), but r3 became useless after 50 minutes.
Don't consider r4...

This is the problem: there arent tyres specs in the middle, that for example can burn out after 30 minutes, with the max of the grip during the 20th one.
After this changing of the tyre phisics, imho is needed a recalibration of the tyres specs, for filling this empty spaces on tyres autonomy.

Scaleable tyre wear
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG