The online racing simulator
McLaren MP4-12C
(92 posts, started )
Quote from Dygear :I like it, but not as much as I thought I would. The back end tail pipes look, off for some reason. I'm a huge McLaren fan boy, and I'm not sure about the looks of the car. Let's just hope it preforms something like it's bigger sisters.

Edited for ya!

Looks very good, i dont like neither of the lights tho.
Quote from Dajmin : Bits of it remind me of the '65 Mustang and, obviously, the original 300SL. So those bits are retro. Other parts remind me of newer vert coupes like the S2000 (those front lights and the lines along the sides especially).

Yeah, funnily enough those where the exact same cars i had in mind too.

The real test will be how it looks in the flesh. I've lost count of the number of new cars i didn't like the look of in photos, but completely changed my opinion when seeing them for real, and vica versa. Gives me an idea for another new thread actually....
Lot of pics

For me is just ok, but looks kinda generic, not agressive and old (old in the bad sense, it is not a retro style). These designs are from 2006 (from my school) and they look much more fresh.
As a car designer student, I'm pretty sure they could have done much more.
#55 - JJ72
I think at least the Mercedes is somehow interesting, is it a successful design I don't know, because it isn't that hard to make a modern version of a classic car.
I'm just in love with it..

Is there going to be non-AMG version of that SLS because I think it would look better without aggressive bodykits?
#58 - JJ72
bodykits? It's the "original" body!!
Quote from jibber :Yes, about as hot as a design hairdryer.

Hey, I resent that! I design a lot of hairdryers at work!

On second thought, if I ever designed a hairdryer that was as gorgeous as the R8, I'd be quite proud of myself.
#60 - 5haz
Naaah, they should've given it rounded headlamps and perhaps slightly larger/more raised wings, it just dosen't look right at all.

I mean wings as in the bulges over the front wheels, before you make a clever remark
Quote from JJ72 :bodykits? It's the "original" body!!

Yeah, looks like there's only one version with ugly front bumper that is clearly "refined" by someone from AMG. That extra bit pushing outwards from bottom quarter looks so out of place, concept renders from couple months back had much better styling. Don't get me wrong, I love the "Gullwing" retro styling with the grill, bonnet and wheel arches.
Looks cool indeed. But the shape already tells that there is not way that i could ever afford it (or not? ^^).

All the good sportscars are gone already.
Quote from JJ72 :I think at least the Mercedes is somehow interesting, is it a successful design I don't know, because it isn't that hard to make a modern version of a classic car.

On the contrary. Its is vastly more difficult to make a modern version of a classic car, especially a one with such legacy.

Mercedes in this case has worked it out nicely. Incorporating the features of the old Gullwing into the current Mercedes visual cues (Like the huge front grill with the huge tri-tip emblem + the gullwing doors)
kinda lukewarm design.....
#65 - JJ72
Quote from Fuse5 :On the contrary. Its is vastly more difficult to make a modern version of a classic car, especially a one with such legacy.

Mercedes in this case has worked it out nicely. Incorporating the features of the old Gullwing into the current Mercedes visual cues (Like the huge front grill with the huge tri-tip emblem + the gullwing doors)

I think it's rather easy to incorporate details of the old car, because you already have an template that worked.

modifying something that already existed isn't hard, reproducing the concept from the ground up however will be harder.

But though most retro revival are mostly cosmetic, and are never meant to be an reincarnation of the old car, like this mecedes.
I love how this turned out into SLS thread.. that's how interesting the Mclaren is
the rear/exhausts is the only thing i like about the car actually :/
Quote from JJ72 :I think it's rather easy to incorporate details of the old car, because you already have an template that worked.

modifying something that already existed isn't hard, reproducing the concept from the ground up however will be harder.

But though most retro revival are mostly cosmetic, and are never meant to be an reincarnation of the old car, like this mecedes.

Out of curiosity, have you ever done any such design studies? I've done several for school and I've always found redesigning a classic car for the present to be extremely difficult. You have to mix the classic cues with modern proportions to fit with contemporary safety standards and technologies. You have to make it look contemporary while still showing evidence of the classic. It's a very difficult task.

It's much easier to design a car, from scratch (aesthetically speaking).
-
(NitroNitrous) DELETED by NitroNitrous
#69 - JJ72
Quote from MAGGOT :Out of curiosity, have you ever done any such design studies? I've done several for school and I've always found redesigning a classic car for the present to be extremely difficult. You have to mix the classic cues with modern proportions to fit with contemporary safety standards and technologies. You have to make it look contemporary while still showing evidence of the classic. It's a very difficult task.

It's much easier to design a car, from scratch (aesthetically speaking).

I did product design in central saint martins. (not really auto design but it's still about form)

I did overlook the part about laws and safety standards (and I know it's a hard area), hence I might just be wrong about that.
Quote from JJ72 :I did product design in central saint martins. (not really auto design but it's still about form)

I've actually been working as a Product Designer for 5 years Still earning my Bachelor's Degree, though (started at the company in high school, only now in my third year of college)

Quote :I did overlook the part about laws and safety standards (and I know it's a hard area), hence I might just be wrong about that.

Yea, and those standards are just one piece of the changing puzzle, too; there's also more thought needed for weight distribution (for the driving dynamic) which influences the overall form, there's the change in brand image and identity which needs to be reflected in the new model, etc etc. It's a lot more involved than most people think it is.

And then, of course, you have the whole "design by committee" problem. Cars are not designed by a person anymore. They are designed by a lot of people; designers, engineers, businessmen, focus groups, etc. All these people working on the one thing pretty much always results in a worse product, unfortunately.

All that being said, I do like the new SLS. A lot. I think it's a fantastic looking car with a respectable nod to the original SL.
Mclaren MP4-12c..
Mclaren MP4-12c looks like the new Ferrari 458 Italia
it looks raped. (the MP4-12C that is)

the SLS AMG looks WOW.
Quote from RealDriftForLife :Mclaren MP4-12c looks like the new Ferrari 458 Italia

I find all supercars look exactly the same these days.
I loved the look for the 458 in the press photos. But since seeing it in other road test photos I've decided it's actually a bit of a minger. Shame, because I really did think it looked stunning.

The MP4-12C is nice. I like the understated looks, certainly over the fussy Zonda or any Hyper Mercedes. But what matters more is what emotions it creates (unless you can afford one, in which case it might be important how it drives), and on that regard Zondas, Koenigseggs (sans Top Gear Girlie Wing), Countaches etc will always be better than anything easy to drive or actually capable. In my opinion.
I'm still a big fan of older sports cars, and I'm not even sure if half the ones I like are really true "super"cars. The Jag XJ220 was the first car I saw that I considered stunning. The 94-98 Dodge Viper shapes still make me drool, unlike the butchered post-2000 versions. Ferrari 355/360, Saleen S7.

Doesn't really class as a full-on supercar these days, but it's a classic - the Porsche 911/Carrera. When a design doesn't really change for nearly 50 years you know they're doing something right

McLaren MP4-12C
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG