The online racing simulator
Achievments
(108 posts, started )
Have you ever seen people on Xbox Live? I guarantee you, unless there was something stupid like a "1 million miles" or "1 million races" achievement, everything else - everything - would be unlocked by most regular players within the space of a few days. The ones that are easy to get (like a lap on every track or drive every car), everyone will have. And the ones that are hard to get (beating a certain lap time or completing a large number of laps) will only be accomplished by the people with already-notable LFSW achievements.

So the folks like me who can't beat the laptime will get frustrated and either ignore the achievement entirely (making it pointless) or move offline or to a private server to attempt it (meaning a reduction in server population). And the people who can do it no trouble will get the achievement in no time, putting them right back where they'd be now - with the achievement already listed on LFSW.

Pointless false replay value and not worth the time it'd take to code it. NOW you're done here
Seroiusly though, id be happy to make a whole heap of legit and fair achievements for the game, as well as the forum itself perhaps. Maybe make it for the forum community where they can somehow display their achievements.

I could also design mini icons where they can be seen in users profiles or something if the devs/mods would allow this. From basic achievements to advanced achievements.

Example of ingame ones:

1. Ladder climber
win a race from rear of grid
2. Hotlap entry
upload 5 hotlaps
3. Hotlap Professional
upload 30 hotlaps
4. Hotlap Master
Have at least 5 WR's in hotlapping
5. Clean racer
Upload a 5 or more lap race with no contact

Forum ones:
1. Forum rookie
have 100 posts
2. Forum junkie
have 1000 posts
3. A helping hand
fill in a addon or skin request
4. Mecanic
sort out a bug or issue for a member
5. Post man
Have a pst in every forum..

etc

If alot of people would be happy to have this, i would asap come up with lists of achievements and maybe the help from some respected members here and also make icon/logos for display. I think this would boost up the community, helping out each other, and making some clean, better racing, as well as improving it!
#103 - Woz
Quote from Dajmin :Have you ever seen people on Xbox Live? I guarantee you, unless there was something stupid like a "1 million miles" or "1 million races" achievement, everything else - everything - would be unlocked by most regular players within the space of a few days. The ones that are easy to get (like a lap on every track or drive every car), everyone will have. And the ones that are hard to get (beating a certain lap time or completing a large number of laps) will only be accomplished by the people with already-notable LFSW achievements.

So the folks like me who can't beat the laptime will get frustrated and either ignore the achievement entirely (making it pointless) or move offline or to a private server to attempt it (meaning a reduction in server population). And the people who can do it no trouble will get the achievement in no time, putting them right back where they'd be now - with the achievement already listed on LFSW.

Pointless false replay value and not worth the time it'd take to code it. NOW you're done here

lol

Now we get to the real meat of the issue you have. YOU will get frustrated if you can't get all the achievements, I think you might have bigger issues then if that is what achievements will do to you.

In all the games I have played with them you find the "gotta get em all" pokemon crowd that will just play 24/7 until they have them all. So what, let them. The same counts for the real stat whores that already populate LFS as I already stated!

For the rest of the people they are things to aim for over time. Given that if you have to start and end a race to get the achievements it will take more than a few weeks to get them.

If there were a set (one for each car) as I proposed for beat baseline time for each track. That set alone will take long enough for most to get.

Over time and the many threads on achievements that hame come up there have been more than enough ideas that if you can get them all in 2 weeks good luck to you.

These examples from aoun are good for the community that encourage people to do different things. None are arcade in the slightest.

Quote from aoun :1. Ladder climber
win a race from rear of grid
2. Hotlap entry
upload 5 hotlaps
3. Hotlap Professional
upload 30 hotlaps
4. Hotlap Master
Have at least 5 WR's in hotlapping
5. Clean racer
Upload a 5 or more lap race with no contact

I doubt I would ever get hotlap master and I doubt many would BUT thats OK, its a target!

Sorry Dajmin but you arguments are starting to sound more lame and desperate as you go on. You really have come up with a valid reason apart from you will get frustrated if you can't get them all!

BTW: This is not X-Box live it is LFS. Steam is not X-Box live either and achievements don't harm any of the games in there either!
Yeah your right, maybe 5 WR is too much if alot of people go for it, it should be something that everyone can achieve, that was just an example Maybe WR's cant be part of an achievement because they can be beaten.
#105 - Woz
Quote from aoun :Yeah your right, maybe 5 WR is too much if alot of people go for it, it should be something that everyone can achieve, that was just an example Maybe WR's cant be part of an achievement because they can be beaten.

Nope, I think its a good level. All that is required is when you beat a WR adds one to the count. Should not matter if someone else beats later.

I am all for Achievements that are not easy. So what if only 1% of community get one of them, does not stop the rest aiming for it

There is no sense of Achievement if its easy
Quote from Woz :

Stat whores are as disruptive as achievement whores to a community. But for the rest of us more "normal" people they just add something.

Yes they just add something. So does adding neon-lights and spinner-rims, they just add something. Actually those would be less disruptive as they would not cause overzealous achievement junkies to collect in servers.

If achievements ever get considered, which I doubt, I would recommend that there be "ranked" and "un-ranked" servers so the administrators can choose if they want to host achievements or not, and drivers can choose to stay out of achievement servers.

It is inevitable that someone will get overzealous about their achievements. Minimizing the collateral would be ideal.
So should we implement achievements?
Quote from aoun :So should we implement achievements?

In my opinion, simply no. But what ever gets done, gets done.

However you can make an insim that keeps track of achievements.

Achievments
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG