The online racing simulator
#1 - Alles
Lotus confirmed for 2010, as FIA pushes for 14 teams
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
#3 - Alles
but a nice name
Quote from Alles :but a nice name

Yh, but Lotus, the real Lotus, was more than just a hollow name. The principles that Chapman instilled in the company won't be there.
#5 - Alles
i totaly agree with you about that
It'll be based at RTN, Norfolk at first, which is just up the road.

I'm thinking of sending them my CV - wouldn't it be great to work for an F1 team on your doorstep
It's a Proton, with a Ford Engine. That's about it.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm thinking of sending them my CV - wouldn't it be great to work for an F1 team on your doorstep

You lose nothing if you send
Quote from tristancliffe :It'll be based at RTN, Norfolk at first, which is just up the road.

I'm thinking of sending them my CV - wouldn't it be great to work for an F1 team on your doorstep

Why don't you apply as their first driver?
Ha ha, I'm not so sure they'd be very interested!

Test driver though...
Quote from Intrepid :Yh, but Lotus, the real Lotus, was more than just a hollow name. The principles that Chapman instilled in the company won't be there.

get a caterham/westfield and you're set.

not particularly pricey cars either.

i'm baffled as to how most people in the uk don't have a caterham

i live in greece in which it is not certain how you can get one to drive.
#12 - wild
It'll be nice to see the name back in F1. Other than that, it won't be anything to shout about probably.
Well, they do have Mike Gascoyne so I think we may see them do something special; at least maybe being the top of the new teams.
#14 - 5haz
Quote from george_tsiros :get a caterham/westfield and you're set.

not particularly pricey cars either.

i'm baffled as to how most people in the uk don't have a caterham

i live in greece in which it is not certain how you can get one to drive.

Because a Caterham dosen't have a roof (a piece of cloth dosen't count), very important in the UK!

They're great fun, but not very practical at all.

Lotus rejected the last offer to run a team in their name, so hopefully they know that this bunch will do the name justice, (are they the same group as last time, I'm not sure).
Quote from Mp3 Astra :It's a Proton, with a Ford Engine. That's about it.

Ford have nothing to do with Cosworth now. If I remember correctly they are owned by the bloke that ran CCWS.
Quote from duke_toaster :Ford have nothing to do with Cosworth now. If I remember correctly they are owned by the bloke that ran CCWS.

I believe that's the way it is, though I think it's more than one bloke.
Quote from 5haz :Because a Caterham dosen't have a roof (a piece of cloth dosen't count), very important in the UK!

they could've made one with a solid roof... good enough to be waterproof... what's 10-20kg more in a car this fun?
#18 - 5haz
thats not the point of a Caterham though, its not meant to be a mainstream everyday car, its about wind in your hair excitement, you buy another car of you want practical, if you made a Caterham practical it would no longer be a Caterham.
how about a removable roof?

best of both worlds.

we're risking with the offtopic though :/
Initially they'll start working on the team/car in Norfolk (apparently 10miles from the Lotus Cars factory, dunno if thats this RTN place). However, they'll move full production to Malaysia when they've built a "state of the art" factory over there. This whole venture is being funded by the Malaysian Government and a consortium of businessmen, and led by the 15th richest man in Malaysia no-less !!.

I'll let you decide if this is gonna be a real Lotus F1 car or not. But the thing that gets me is how have they been given the nod over BMW/Sauber who've just found a new buyer ?. They're already in the sport, they've already got the car, the drivers, the manpower, the infrastructure, the factory, the history. Is this a case of money and advertising revenue talking, or is Bernie settling a few scores here after the BMW-led FOTA breakaway saga ?
#21 - 5haz
Without wanting to sound prejudiced, I think its a fairly safe bet that there are a lot more trained motorsport engineers, technicians etc in Europe than in Malasiya (hence why most teams are based in Europe, closer to the majority of the tracks too obviously), so moving to Malaysia may be a bad move as they may find themselves short of experienced staff.

On the other hand you could say that theres no reason why they shouldn't move to Malaysia, as training people in Malaysia to become potentially world beating motorsport team members can't be a bad thing. Really theres no reason why there shouldn't be plenty of these kind of people all around the world.

But at the moment I'm skeptical, I think moving out of Europe will just leave them short of experienced staff (initially at least), and make things like the logistics of the team more expensive and time consuming.

Its also a shame to see such a British name being moved elsewhere, and that its not even really Lotus, just a brand used for more attention/marketing, but its something we've got used to in Britain.

And yeah its a shame about BMW, especially with people like Peter Sauber involved, he has comitted himself to international motorsport for over 20 years, even through times of poor results, I think that deserves a spot on the F1 grid. Its actually ridiculous that a comletely new and unknown team using someone else's name for their own gain, can get priority over a team that has entered in F1 for 16 years.

Hopefully the grid will be expanded as mentioned by the FIA.
It's not exactly Lotus is it? It's not even British.

and since when did F1 become A1GP?!
#23 - JJ72
Quote from george_tsiros :how about a removable roof?

best of both worlds.

we're risking with the offtopic though :/

why would you like a roof that does not keep out water, but instead just create more noises I don't know.
Colin Chapman

Grave

Turning

Good for F1 but there better of calling it Proton F1 and get some advertising at the very least and Proton isnt a bad name really.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from JJ72 :why would you like a roof that does not keep out water, but instead just create more noises I don't know.

i said, "good enough to be waterproof" :irked:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG