The online racing simulator
Reverse gear or reset in MRT
(65 posts, started )
#26 - Woz
Quote from george_tsiros :ummm... because the other cars have reverse?

MRT is an AutoX car using a bike engine so of course no reverse.

So what. In real life racing of ANY form if you off and get stuck you are on the long walk back to the pits. If you dont want your race to be over don't fall off the track

If you do fall off the track and get stuck just man up and accept your race is done. Everyone is in the same situation so why the problem.

Which real life race series allow the driver to get out and try move their car while the race is on? They don't the stuck car is removed from the track!
you are right.

leave it as is.
Plus if you dip the clutch, rev it up, let the clutch go and try and bump forwards and then dip the clutch again then you can eventually get it bouncing off whatever you are stuck against sometimes to finally have enough room to turn away from the wall/fence and get going again if you do it enough times.
Whenever we run MRT on the Dead Men Racing server we use the following workaround:

1) Reset set to on for the host options (standard off)

2) Insim (Ario) assigns a penalty whenever the reset is actuated (pit stop + 15 seconds to clear). The latest patch prevents a reset that could cause danger (i.e. whenever the car to be resetted causes a yellow flag).

This works well (1 hour MRT race around South City tracks means you could well end up in front of a wall ) but still is based on trust (if one trashes the car, he can get away with a reset + 15s instead of crawl back to pits and wait 30s - we do not see that but it could still happen).

Sometimes I wish walls would kick back
That's still not a workaround that's really effective. While it might work for that, it would still mean the end of someone's short race. If it was real life, you could get out or stick your leg out and push the car away from the wall in far less time than that would add up to.

There must be some way of doing something about it. How about a single push ability using the TC button that refreshes every 20 seconds or something?
So if you end up facing the wall you hit the button, it gives you a 2mph nudge in the opposite direction (as if you'd kicked off the wall), and you're back in the race.
Easy if there are admins on-line. Add some SOFT objects at the front of the stucked car and it'll go reverse.
It's just as likely to go flying into outer space too
i think its kind of cool that mrt has no reverse gear

its like a real go cart. i doubt and i hope that they will make a reverse gear.
This whole problem has been discussed much earlier and ended up with the broomstick mod as a solution
It has a bike transmission(was it,right?) and bikes do not have a reverse gear. That's why. Especially,LFS is a simulator.
#36 - Woz
Quote from Dajmin :That's still not a workaround that's really effective. While it might work for that, it would still mean the end of someone's short race. If it was real life, you could get out or stick your leg out and push the car away from the wall in far less time than that would add up to.

There must be some way of doing something about it. How about a single push ability using the TC button that refreshes every 20 seconds or something?
So if you end up facing the wall you hit the button, it gives you a 2mph nudge in the opposite direction (as if you'd kicked off the wall), and you're back in the race.

If it were real life you would never undo your 5 point harness, fight your way out of the car, push the car back then climb back in and do up your harness and drive off.

This would force the entire race to yellow so you could take 1+ minutes to do it. It just WOULD NOT happen. EVER. They you just get you out of the car and lift it out of the way so yellow flag could be lifted!

If you off and get stuck your race is over, that is the FACT of real life racing. Why should it be any different in LFS for one car because people want to race an auto X car with a bike engine on a track instead of an auto X course?
Solution - Don't Crash and get stuck.

Since the MRT is a real life car, I think its good that it hasn't got a reverse gear, like the real car.
Quote from Mille Sabords :
2) Insim (Ario) assigns a penalty whenever the reset is actuated (pit stop + 15 seconds to clear). The latest patch prevents a reset that could cause danger (i.e. whenever the car to be resetted causes a yellow flag).

wish you didn't need the full version for this. sometimes i set my server up for bump+jump style auto-x layouts and it would be nice to allow a reset for those who flip out, but with a penalty, rather than pit+rejoin.
Quote from spiderbait90 :Solution - Don't Crash and get stuck.

Since the MRT is a real life car, I think its good that it hasn't got a reverse gear, like the real car.

In real life, you wouldn't press 'I' on a keyboard to start the car. Maybe we need to start the cars in LFS with the mouse from now on, flipping a few switches and then starting it.

Also, how the hell does the gas get filled on the car? Maybe we should have to buy the gas first, then measure it off and fill it in. I think this is a good idea, like the real car.

I could continue for several pages.. What about not allowing people to drive with a keyboard, or not allowing wheels to turn with an unrealistic amount of degrees.

PS. Just messing with you.. It's the same argument tho
Quote from Woz :If it were real life you would never undo your 5 point harness, fight your way out of the car, push the car back then climb back in and do up your harness and drive off.

The car weighs next to nothing, you wouldn't need to do anything more than stick a leg out and push the ground. I can do that with my car and it weighs a hell of a lot more

Quote from Woz :If you off and get stuck your race is over, that is the FACT of real life racing. Why should it be any different in LFS for one car because people want to race an auto X car with a bike engine on a track instead of an auto X course?

This is the place where a line needs to be drawn between what is good to simulate, and what is fun to actually take part in. It's been suggested before that the reason we don't have random mechanical failures is because it would make it frustrating for the player - and we have random disconnects to simulate something similar anyway. Nobody wants to make a mistake on lap 1 (or be knocked off by someone else) and have to sit out for the rest of the race.

But there is no reason that IRL you couldn't get the MRT back on the track without ending your race. You might not be in with a chance of winning, but you could at least finish. And if you're good enough you might even pick your way back up to the mid-field.
Quote from Dajmin :The car weighs next to nothing, you wouldn't need to do anything more than stick a leg out and push the ground. I can do that with my car and it weighs a hell of a lot more

Have you even looked at how the driver is seated in the MRT? It's neither a go-kart nor is there a door to open - there is no "sticking your leg out." If you think that getting stuck ending your race isn't fun, then you can enable the car reset option. If however getting the repair on reset is too unrealistic then you're a hypocrite... err I meant then you can use AIRIO or some other app to apply a penalty, which also nicely serves as simulating that it would need some time to reset.
Quote from RasmusL :In real life, you wouldn't press 'I' on a keyboard to start the car. Maybe we need to start the cars in LFS with the mouse from now on, flipping a few switches and then starting it.

Actually, pressing 'I' on the keyboard is a lot closer to what you do in a real car to start it than it is to point & click your mouse cursor somewhere on the screen.
#42 - Woz
Quote from Dajmin :The car weighs next to nothing, you wouldn't need to do anything more than stick a leg out and push the ground. I can do that with my car and it weighs a hell of a lot more

Please take a screen grab of the MRT and show where you would "stick your leg out"
Maybe the driver could get out and push.

Then Scawen just needs to program it so that you take a few moments to undo the seat belts and get out, a few moments to push, a few moments to get back in, a few minutes whilst the seatbelts are done up, before selecting first and discovering you didn't push it back far enough...?
Quote from Woz :Please take a screen grab of the MRT and show where you would "stick your leg out"

Alright, maybe you couldn't stick your leg out enough to push the ground, but you could get it high enough to push away from a wall or something

Hell, it's so light you might even be able to sit and bounce it round from your seat
Quote from Dajmin :Alright, maybe you couldn't stick your leg out enough to push the ground, but you could get it high enough to push away from a wall or something

Wouldn't you need some very long legs for that?
#46 - Woz
Quote from Dajmin :Alright, maybe you couldn't stick your leg out enough to push the ground, but you could get it high enough to push away from a wall or something

Hell, it's so light you might even be able to sit and bounce it round from your seat

LOOK at the MRT, you are not lifting you leg out of ANYWHERE unless you release your 5 point and climb out.

If you are out of the car you are done!
has anybody ever been in a race before? if you crash there is no such thing as just undoing ur 5-point and pushing it back then jumping BACK IN and doing up all the belts then going off and start to race gain NO SUCH THING!
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe the driver could get out and push.

Then Scawen just needs to program it so that you take a few moments to undo the seat belts and get out, a few moments to push, a few moments to get back in, a few minutes whilst the seatbelts are done up, before selecting first and discovering you didn't push it back far enough...?

Sounds like the classic Le Mans start. Maybe there could be a feature to fasten your seatbelt while driving. I take it you made a mistake when you said minutes to do the seatbelts.
Not really - 6 point harnesses aren't very quick to do up on your own in a single seater - not a lot of room to wriggle elbows and such

Formula Students are quite roomy in comparison (due to the same regulations that cause the proportions of the cars to be 'wrong'), but I wouldn't like to have to get them done up and tight on my own in less than 60 seconds in a race situation...
#50 - Woz
Quote from tristancliffe :Not really - 6 point harnesses aren't very quick to do up on your own in a single seater - not a lot of room to wriggle elbows and such

Formula Students are quite roomy in comparison (due to the same regulations that cause the proportions of the cars to be 'wrong'), but I wouldn't like to have to get them done up and tight on my own in less than 60 seconds in a race situation...

Says it all. So that is 60 seconds to do up and another 60+ seconds to undo, get out and move the car. So in reality you are looking at an imposed 2-3 minute penality.

Pointless to lose that in a 3-5 lap race which is all most MRT races will be.

This thread can be closed and put to bed now

Reverse gear or reset in MRT
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG