The online racing simulator
ipod touch/iphone
(36 posts, started )
#1 - oli17
ipod touch/iphone
hi, i know there are already a couple of threads for this, but i thought i would start another one..

my mum said i could have a digital camera (to replace my last one which broke - grrr), an SLR camera or an iPod Touch as a well done on my GCSEs present.

i'm swaying towards the ipod but was wondering if anyone else could give their views on it.

firstly, how does the wifi work? does it cost money and does it work in a lot of places? also, what's this "jailbreaking" thing that everyone's on about?

more questions probably to come but would be very appreciative of your valuable input
#2 - hp999
Wi-Fi works good,not slow(well at least for me) Of course it costs if let's say you use your home Wi-Fi. But if you are in a public place then it costs nothing. Imagine using a computer through your network,just without wires.^^ Jailbreaking is like cracking it.It changes your FW(well,kinda,don't worry about it) and lets you use custom apps,like Cydia and Installer and also themes etc. I don't quite know,which one is the best,I use both,but most people prefer Cydia. Besides that,when you want to jailbreak it,use Google and follow tutorials exacly. As a iTouch owner,theory shows it,but it's recoverable.
#3 - DeKo
do you allready have an ipod? If not, get the ipod. if you do, get something else
#4 - oli17
nope have a good ol' zen micro 4gb at the mo
I love my iPod Touch, but I'd really prefer them to make a 64GB version.

I did jailbreak it, but didn't really use the extra apps you can add that much. ScummVM is a good one, it lets you run all the old LucasArts point & click games like Monkey Island.

The WiFi is just wireless networking. If you're in range and have a password, or the network has no password, you can just connect. Pretty much all WiFi networks are passworded these days. I don't know what it's like in London, but here in the centre of town there's 3 or 4 big widespread public WiFi networks you can connect to by paying a small fee - you connect, but the only web-page you can visit is the login until you enter the password. Other places like coffee houses have networks - they'll give you the password if you ask when you buy something, and it usually lasts half an hour or so. And obviously if you have a home network, you can connect to that if you put in the password.

I want an iPhone now, pretty much purely for the 3G internet it has (instead of WiFi), which lets it connect anywhere I have a phone signal.
#6 - Jakg
#7 - CSU1
If you commute a lot and sit around cafe's much get the ipod, it's a boredom killer for sure - if not get a new camera instead
Get any phone better than iPod and you'll have: phone, camera, GPS, computer, radio, TV...
If you want an iPhone just because it looks cool and it has hundred of useless but funny features, then go for it.
As for the camera, for taking stupid pictures with your friends and some shots during a trip for uploading them to Facebook, any built in camera of a nice phone should be enough.
Quote from Crashgate3 :...

The WiFi is just wireless networking. If you're in range and have a password, or the network has no password, you can just connect. ......

No you can't !

It's illegal. It is irrelevant if a Wireless network has "open" security. Unless you gain explicit consent of the owner of the network you are considered to be making unauthorised use of a private network, which is an offense under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. Plus if you use it to access the internet via the Wireless network, that is also an offence under the Communications Act 2003.

People have been arrested and prosecuted for it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/aug/23/ukcrime.news
Quote from gezmoor :No you can't !

It's illegal. It is irrelevant if a Wireless network has "open" security. Unless you gain explicit consent of the owner of the network you are considered to be making unauthorised use of a private network, which is an offense under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. Plus if you use it to access the internet via the Wireless network, that is also an offence under the Communications Act 2003.

lol
sorry, it just seemed humorous that you were able to recite that in such detail!

to the person talking about the iphone, i would like to get one, but being a teenager in south london, mugging is a major issue, and i always seem to get mugged the second i get a new phone
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :the best line i ever got from a mugger was “oi blud, can i try my sim in your phone?” :d

lol! so is an iphone a better bet then? also, what's the insurance dealy with an iphone. say i got mugged (which is probable), what would happen? would i get all my money back, or some, or none?
i would, but then if it broke i'd be buggered, and i've had a few experiences of internet buys going wrong...
Quote from gezmoor :No you can't !

I love Spain
no the iphone 3gs is that much over here in UK and unless you're extremely lucky then you're not gonna get your hands on a 3gs any time soon as there is currently a huge waiting list on them because i went and got an iphone last week and in the end just got a normal 3g one because i really dont see the difference, normal 3g is just as good just half the size in capacity, although doesnt bother me
does it by any chance have a memory card slot?
nope the normal 3g comes with 8gb, the 3gs is 16gb and 32gb all on 24 month contracts or if you want to buy the 3gs then you're looking at £500+ and around £350 for the normal 8gb 3g
**** that! ipod touch 32GB it is i guess :S
ipod touch for what it is i wouldnt say is worth the £260 its priced at. Plus unless you're gonna download hundreds of apps and use it all the time the 32gb version is just excessive.
I have a 16gb one, with around 300 songs, videos and some big apps, it was never more than half full.

Oh, one problem: You can't get over 9 pages of apps
Quote :mugging is a major issue, and i always seem to get mugged the second i get a new phone

Wow, I knew it was bad down there but I didn't know being mugged was a regular occurrence!

ipod touch/iphone
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG