The online racing simulator
Wanna put dirt on your car?
I've taken on the task of painting my own fleet cars for LFS. I'm pretty much taking my knowledge from painting my NASCAR rides and bringing it over to LFS. I've found the shadows I was looking for (or at least some that I'm content with for now) but I couldn't put my finger on what was missing from my old racing days.

I finally figured out what I was missing tonight. Dirt. I really like my car looking like I just came out of a several hour bout on the track picking up dirt and rubber along the way.

I decided to chop up a few layers from one of my old templates (can't believe they're 4 years old now...) to see how it would work on the XRG (my standard test subject) and I would think it would look fairly nice. I can't tell to much yet as my skins are dark in nature. I'm typing this trying to keep my head off the keyboard right now which is why I'm not going to go any further tonight.

Right now I plan to make several different options. One for hard tracks, and a few variations for rally tracks. It will all depend on how much you want.

How many are interested? It's a bit odd I'm sure, but I can't be the only one interested in this.
#2 - oli17
i'd be interested to see how they come out. maybe download the XFG and XRG? good luck
Here is a little something I have so far. I would imagine this would look best for hard track use. I'm working on making it look like it came out of a tough rally stage, but I would think it would have dirt pretty much covering the entire car with varying thickness. Since the original layer was meant for hard track looks, it's kinda tough to get it to look like it was in dirt with believable quality.
Attached images
clean.jpg
dirty.jpg
#4 - oli17
very good! but i would think as it's an RWD car, there would be more dirt and stuff behind the rear wheel arch? i might be wrong but just a thought.

keep it up though it looks great
Almost every part of it is in a different layer. I have all but the "wheel" layers shown.

I suppose to get what you're suggesting all I have to do is add those layers and mess with the opacity.

The way I have it set up right now, you can alter darn near every part of it. You can make it seem like you have a new front bumper, but your hood as been through 5 races. It's kinda neat now that I think of it.

Anyhow, I left it like that because that's pretty much how it looked on my old NASCAR template. I don't really have a chance to see many sports car races to see how they end up after a race.
#6 - oli17
yeah true. nice idea btw, so presumably you can download the .psd files, and mess about with the dirt files and apply them to any skin?
Oh yes! I have separate layers for the bumper, hood, roof, right side, left side, and I'm going to separate the wheels to be front and rear. The wheels layers aren't shown there.

Of course, if you wish (I'm going to do it) you can transfer them and do a little bit of editing to put them on any car. Maybe you can even use a color overlay or something to change the type of soil on the car.
#8 - oli17
wow, you're a legend! keep up the good work i can't wait to use em! (maybe confuse people online by having a really dirty BF1
Quote from oli17 :wow, you're a legend! keep up the good work i can't wait to use em! (maybe confuse people online by having a really dirty BF1

yeah, it would realy confuse me to see a demoer in a bf1 online
lol. getting S2 for my birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
so rsnake53, hows it coming on?
I've tried to set up something to is centers automatically onto the car, but I haven't tested it yet. Let me get that done in a lil and I'll put them up.

Right now I'm satisfied with the XRG and the XFG. Next will be the XRT.

I've been trying desperately to find a new car lately. The nearest dealer willing to help me out is 30 miles away, and he's a little shady. The next closest is just over 60 miles away...
Ok. I've got a little bit of a problem.

My file is so damn large (12 MB) that I can't post it here on the forums, and I have dialup here, so giving it out privately will take too damn long also.

I will talk around to see what I can do. I have the option of using the high speed connection on the Bucknell campus, but I have a half hour bike ride to get there...

If anyone can help me out, let me know please!

I have 3 files ready to go. XRG, XFG, and XRT.
www.mediafire.com

try that (or a similar website) would that solve your problem? let me know
Alright. First 3 are up and ready to go. I HOPE they will center perfectly in the skin, but I can't be completely sure. It worked for me. That's all I can say.

XFG
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mxtmjemazvo/XFG dirt.psd

XRG
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmjxzz2mmzi/XRG dirt.psd

XRT
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tohjwywt2k3/XRT Dirt.psd

Work on the others will slow dramatically as I'm having troubles with my computer. Seems to be related to temperature so I'll have to make work on them short sweet, and to the point.
looks good! i'll experiment at some point and put up a few screenies
so it's been a month.. and... nothing?
sorry, i completely forgot. i've saved them on my computer and will have a fiddle if i have time this weekend

thanks!
Quote from oli17 :sorry, i completely forgot. i've saved them on my computer and will have a fiddle if i have time this weekend

thanks!

D'oh!
still nothing, ive just read over the whole thread and it looks like we have a few skilled people here any progress
Wasn't there a dirt layer available on Master Skinnerz? It might be, of course, for an older version; I haven't done a lot of skinning in the last couple of years.
I've seen a couple for various cars kicking around (There's a great dirt and scratch layer for the FBM, great one for the XRGT in a Mazda shadowkit, for instance) but not all cars have been covered.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG