The online racing simulator
Wondering if this is possible with LFS
I've been looking around the net for a while, and have finally come across LFS, I've had a look through some of the features of it, and I have to say, I'm impressed by the realism.

However, before I buy the license for S2, I'm wondering this.

Is there a way of displaying LFS either over 3 monitors, or is there a better method for a 120 Degree FOV display?

What sort of control inputs does LFS take? And, a less software specific question, If I wanted to create a custom pedal, shift and steering wheel rig, would it just be best to cannibalize a standard shop bought system?

Can telemetry data from LFS be output to say, a file, or even exported live to another computer?

And finally, Also a question bordering more on the hardware than the software, how hard would it be to build a system that would interpret events in the sim, into force feedback, say for example, when the left wheels go over a rumble strip on the side of the track, that would register either in the sim, or perhaps in an interpreter program, and then activate Vibrating Motors on the left side of the sim rig.

Now You'll want to know why i ask.

I've got myself a race car, It's currently locked up in a shed, but I'm planning on turning it into a full racing sim rig. And LFS is the software I'd love to use for it.

So, any of this possible? And sorry to ask such a big question for my first post.
#2 - amp88
Quote from JacobT :Is there a way of displaying LFS either over 3 monitors

Triple monitor setups are possible in LFS. This thread may be of some help or someone else with personal experience in creating a triple monitor setup may be able to offer more advice.

Quote from JacobT :or is there a better method for a 120 Degree FOV display?

I don't know.

Quote from JacobT :What sort of control inputs does LFS take?

Mouse / keyboard / gamepad / joystick / wheel and possibly other obscure input devices. The experience is best with a good quality wheel and pedal set but you can still drive with keyboard/mouse.

Quote from JacobT :And, a less software specific question, If I wanted to create a custom pedal, shift and steering wheel rig, would it just be best to cannibalize a standard shop bought system?

I've heard of people bringing together components from different controllers to create their own setup (e.g. using one pedal from a secondary wheel controller as the clutch for their primary wheel), but it would be a better idea to buy a full system rather than patch one together (e.g. G25). If you're talking about a more exotic system than that (e.g. buying pedals from Frex and using them with a G25 wheel) I think that would be possible too. Provide more details if possible.

Quote from JacobT :Can telemetry data from LFS be output to say, a file, or even exported live to another computer?

The OutGauge protocol built into LFS can be used to output live telemetry. This provides details including gear, speed, revs, turbo pressure, throttle input, brake input, clutch input. Additionally LFS can be used to generate RAF files which contain more detailed telemetry from a single player session which can be analysed online or through various 3rd party applications. More details can be found here on LFS Manual.

Quote from JacobT :And finally, Also a question bordering more on the hardware than the software, how hard would it be to build a system that would interpret events in the sim, into force feedback, say for example, when the left wheels go over a rumble strip on the side of the track, that would register either in the sim, or perhaps in an interpreter program, and then activate Vibrating Motors on the left side of the sim rig.

This is possible using the OutSim protocol built into LFS. Here is an example video.

Quote from JacobT :I've got myself a race car, It's currently locked up in a shed, but I'm planning on turning it into a full racing sim rig. And LFS is the software I'd love to use for it.

Good luck with it if you do choose to purchase an LFS license

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG