The online racing simulator
Reverse gear or reset in MRT
(65 posts, started )
Just something I've been annoyed with recently: If you get stuck somewhere in the MRT, there's no way out except pitting.

In real life, you would be able to get out and turn the vehicle around, but since this isn't an option in LFS, we need a compromise - either by adding a reverse gear, or a special reset feature just for this vehicle.. I know it's not realistic, but this is a game and we need the compromises. Otherwise, I might as well play netKar
Quote from RasmusL :Just something I've been annoyed with recently: If you get stuck somewhere in the MRT, there's no way out except pitting.

In real life, you would be able to get out and turn the vehicle around, but since this isn't an option in LFS, we need a compromise - either by adding a reverse gear, or a special reset feature just for this vehicle.. I know it's not realistic, but this is a game and we need the compromises. Otherwise, I might as well play netKar

MRT5 didn´t have a reverse gear in LFS so I doubt that it will ever have one in LFS.
Quote from RasmusL :...Snip

Theres also the obvious option of not getting stuck.
But i wouldnt mind something helpful.
#4 - CSU1
...IRL are you allowed to exit your cart and move it so as to get 'unstuck'?
Quote from CSU1 :...IRL are you allowed to exit your cart and move it so as to get 'unstuck'?

1) It's not a kart.

2) Yeah.
how about an extra button for the mrt only, where the driver reaches down and pushes the car a bit backwards?

realistic, practical, reasonable
#7 - CSU1
Quote from george_tsiros :how about an extra button for the mrt only, where the driver reaches down and pushes the car a bit backwards?

Agreed, it's less realistic having the driver vanish to the pits for lack of options to turn around. A simple 'nudge' option would be more realistic...
Yes something like this exactly It's just a minor annoyance, but I will compare it to turning on your vehicle in nKpro.. Too much realism in a game makes it ridiculous.
I think this has been discussed before.
Quote from Deutschland2007 :MRT5 didn´t have a reverse gear in LFS so I doubt that it will ever have one in LFS.

lol! did you read what you wrote before you posted?
Quote from RenvoN :Go ahead then?

I'm sorry that sarcasm doesn't work very well on the internet. I did try to make it clear that it was a mocking sarcastic comment
I like the idea of a nudge or push button.
the "freddy flintstone" button.
it's not realistic.
in a real life scenario you can nudge yourself out of that.

it would be a shame for one single mistake to end a race like that
Quote from george_tsiros :how about an extra button for the mrt only, where the driver reaches down and pushes the car a bit backwards?

+1!!
#17 - Woz
No reset was the BEST thing added to LFS. It makes people take responsibility for their actions/driving, this never happened before then!

I seriously doubt there are race series that allow this in the rules.

Most of the time when a car comes off the track it is in a place that is not safe. Hence yellow flags come up while the car is removed before going back to full course green.

I have yet to see a race where a driver gets their car stuck and then yellow flags come up so the car can be moved to allow the driver to continue. An example of this would be helpful to prove any race series allows this.

The no reverse gear in the MRT is just like getting stuck in the kitty litter. Your race should be over.

Wan't to complete the race then don't fall off the track

BTW: Before the arguments like "What if someone else puts you off the track?"... So what, that is just racing
Remember that the MRT is based on the real-life FSAE car that was purpose built for time trials on custom courses consisting of parking lots and cones, not walls and sand-traps.....kind of like this:

From the McGill website:
Quote :Formula SAE is a Collegiate Design competition organized by SAE that requires students to conceive, design, fabricate and compete with a small formula style racing car. The vehicule is then judged in the three categories of static inspection and engineering design, solo performance trails and high-performance track endurance.

So, in a sense, we are using the car in a manner unlike it's original design intent. I wouldn't have a problem with a function that allowed the car to back up slowly (as in to simulate someone moving it from outside the cockpit) for a limited amount of distance.
And add to Woz, I'm sure that the real MRT5 it easier to drive than the LFS one. I never drove a MRT5, I have a kart, it is not the same ok, but a shifter kart slides a lot of more than MRT5 with slicks and is A LOT OF MORE intuitive and easy to control and push to limit (your limit, not the kart limit )

Too me, and is my personal opinion, the MRT5 is the worst car in LFS. So a little (realistic!) help will be welcome
#20 - Woz
Quote from Napalm Candy :And add to Woz, I'm sure that the real MRT5 it easier to drive than the LFS one. I never drove a MRT5, I have a kart, it is not the same ok, but a shifter kart slides a lot of more than MRT5 with slicks and is A LOT OF MORE intuitive and easy to control and push to limit (your limit, not the kart limit )

Too me, and is my personal opinion, the MRT5 is the worst car in LFS. So a little (realistic!) help will be welcome

As you say the MRT is an AutoX car, never designed for the track at all. In AutoX an off means that run is gone.

I am really opposed any push back because as soon as the MRT gets it the crys will come "You can do it in the MRT why not in ?" and then we are back with all car reset.

If anything I believe that if you do enough damage you should be forced to sit out the next race, even if you leave the server and join another. This would make people even more fearful of an off or crash and hence stop the hero T1 stupidity
I used to hate the MRT, but after there was an MRT formula on a server i race on i decided to have a go and after a little bit of practice with it grew to like it and i think its actually quite easy to drive once you have got used to it, as it is very responsive and just good fun, but does take a bit of getting used to!

Oh yeah, motorbikes don't tend to have a reverse gear, and as the MRT uses a bike engine i don't think it should have a reverse either, for the sake of realism, thats not to say that it isnt bloody annoying if you get stuck though!
Quote from Napalm Candy :Too me, and is my personal opinion, the MRT5 is the worst car in LFS. So a little (realistic!) help will be welcome

I think it's one of the best. So much fun! <3
Quote from zeugnimod :I think it's one of the best. So much fun! <3

QFT, totally agree zeug.

As i already mentioned, as long as you dont constantly floor it trying to come out of a corner then its quite easy to drive, if a little twitchy, with a little care on how much loud pedal you use exiting bends then its fine.

Now the RAC on the other hand....
I also love the MRT. It's great to throw into corners. But I do agree it needs some way of getting you away from barriers. Maybe a fixed 2mph reverse gear or something, emulate being pushed by hand (foot?).
Because it does suck that your race is over if you run wide and clip the grass or something and end up facing a wall. In any other car you still have a chance to catch up on the backmarkers.
Quote from Woz : I am really opposed any push back because as soon as the MRT gets it the crys will come "You can do it in the MRT why not in ?"

ummm... because the other cars have reverse?

(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG