The online racing simulator
LFS cars dynocharts here
(61 posts, started )
LFS cars dynocharts here
Finally here are all LFS cars torque curves charts.
I've polished my data logging technique and think that the data is reliable and accurate enough to publish them:

Download here

Sorry I've not added labels on curves, it's too painful with Excel®©™, and there is too few contrasted colors to choose for so much curves.

Feel free to discuss, comment, post your own work...

May this thread be dedicated to this subject.
Nice work!
How have you managed to do this?
And btw its a bit hard to distinguish the colors.
Nice I'm having a look now
This is really cool.
As already mentioned though, it's a bit (okay, very) hard to distinguish colors.

How was this accomplished?
Nice work. What's the point, though?
Really hard to say which line is for which car, any way to improve this?
Quote from tonyonparas :Really hard to say which line is for which car, any way to improve this?

download the excel
Sorry about the chosen colors, I knew that some people would have difficulties to read it. But this picture is for illustration only, the values are in the tables.

Quote from AndroidXP :Nice work. What's the point, though?

Many people who asked this data will probably study gear spacing.
Shoulda put the labels right near the curves.
Nice !

Any chance we can get the GT2 data?
Quote from Bogey Jammer :Many people who asked this data will probably study gear spacing.

I still don't understand what's there to study, though?

The gearing you use should be dictated by the track anyway, you know, like highest gear tops out at the fastest point of the track and second gear is adjusted for the slowest corner. Then you space out the rest evenly in between and maybe adjust them a bit to avoid shifting in important corners.

Really, it's not rocket science and getting it roughly right is already good enough for very quick lap times. I do understand their use in RL to figure out how your engine performs or what effects a change to the engine configuration had, allowing you to figure out the optimal shift point to stay in the powerband. However in LFS we have the red shift light that already indicates the best moment to shift anyway, which is why I don't understand what we could possibly use dyno charts for in LFS?
I'm taking the data provided and making what people would normally consider to be dyno charts (hp vs. lb.ft). As of this post I've done UF1 and XFG.

http://spreadsheets.google.com ... MGxIcm16Z2hRNHc&hl=en

Because google docs is still in beta you can't (that I know of) make it show only every X number of numbers along the bottom, so you have to click the line to see RPM.

If someone wants something other than hp/lb.ft let me know.
Quote :I still don't understand what's there to study, though?

That's I want to study, the truth between 2nd and last gear. I have not found documentation about this, and I don't believe that gear spacing must be set up just to avoid shifting in corners. Many other parameters may be taken in account like acceleration, available pressure from turbos and torque range. I also want to know when the last gear should not be used.
I'm just curious about this, not only want to be faster. I also want to make it predictable since I have very short free time to play LFS, so I'm making programs to build automatically my setups as quickly as possible, relying most on theory with the help of very few but accurate enough driving feels, instead of full feeling corrected setups like most of people do.

Believe in god or not, that's why I need these charts. Why not building my own rocket? Everything I learn like this can be useful in general life. Another reason is that I'm fed up to wait for other people to make that I want, so I try to create it myself. And... I don't thrust the red shift light very much

Quote from PhilS13 :Nice !

Any chance we can get the GT2 data?

Why not, but I'm don't really want to be the torque curve factory for the LFS community, especially for each car class created. Let me think about it for a while.
You did all the hard work extracting those torque curves and didn’t plot some easy power graphs. Why?

Anyway I added some quick HP curve graphs in case someone is too lazy to do it on its own. (I hope you don’t mind)
http://www.box.net/shared/b7sb9odgk1

they look very similar to what is already implemented in Bob’s VHPA. Anyway excel graphs are much more manageable when you want to carefully observe graphs.

Nice work

(woops now I saw pik_d post. this google docs online aplication looks nice)
Quote from Bogey Jammer :And... I don't thrust the red shift light very much

That shift light, however, has access to the engine data and lights up exactly at the point where the next gear would give better acceleration than the current one does . It's a really simple calculation and I don't get what's there to doubt about.

Writing a program to create your setups? Now that's ambitious. It'll probably also cost you much more time to get it to a useful state than simply creating the setups manually, but if that is what entertains you...
Quote from kaynd :You did all the hard work extracting those torque curves and didn’t plot some easy power graphs. Why?

To be honest I don't really care about power, I just need to work with torque for my personal work. But I've just noticed the omission makes people interested to the subject.

The only disappointment is that nobody yet noticed that no torque peak on my graphes reaches the ones specified in LFS garage

Quote :That shift light, however, has access to the engine data and lights up exactly at the point where the next gear would give better acceleration than the current one does .

Are you sure the shift light can calculate turbo spool up time and engine moment of inertia for the instant you'll shift to the next gear? There are many other parameters involved, not just the 'generic' dynochart shape, which actually is altered all the time while racing, especially with tubocharged cars.
Pretty nice, but it would be cool if you mark every line with a car name inthe front. Its hard to understand the colors =]
Well I find anything close to +/-50rpm (maby sometimes +/-100rpm if the powerband is wide enaugh) from the spesified rpm in LFS, ok

as for the power curves they do matter if you need them for gear spacing, unless you have bionic brain and you can imagine them just by looking the torque graphs.
Ok, ok I'll update the charts will all things asked above.
Quote from Bogey Jammer :The only disappointment is that nobody yet noticed that no torque peak on my graphes reaches the ones specified in LFS garage

Well, how are you measuring the torque? I guess by deducting it from the acceleration somehow? Did you take into account that the wheels will slip constantly during acceleration?

The most accurate measurement would probably be to read the engine output directly from memory, but even then you couldn't be exactly sure what value you're looking at.
Quote from AndroidXP :The most accurate measurement would probably be to read the engine output directly from memory, but even then you couldn't be exactly sure what value you're looking at.

MuHahA, that's exactly how I did, and yes I'm sure it is just after the clutch.
So, maybe the clutch is slipping? I'd rather believe the clutch modelling has issues generating a fully locked clutch than saying that the maximum engine output calculation is wrong.
The curves look fine, what's the problem?
Quote from AndroidXP :(...) However in LFS we have the red shift light that already indicates the best moment to shift anyway, which is why I don't understand what we could possibly use dyno charts for in LFS?

Well, that light DOES indicate when there's more torque in the next gear,
but it does so relative to your present gearing, be it good or bad. It isn't
the best tool for finding optimal gearing as you could be redlining madly
before it lights up if your next gear is too wide. These graphs help finding
MAXIMUM torque and staying there as long as possible.

Some people like the realism of LFS (or intention of being...) precisely
because they can use all sort of tools and data and spend hours setting
up cars like real race cars without even playing the game. Think of it as
RPG-CarSim.

I do kind of agree with you though that you can set your top gear to the
track and 'general lee' get away with it.
Quote from Bob Smith :The curves look fine, what's the problem?

They don't reach the torque peak the info tab in the garage displays.

LFS cars dynocharts here
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG