The online racing simulator
Permanant Pits : More Dynamic pits?
Ok, something I've noticed since i've first played is that there is no proper "pit" area. You can just stop almost wherever and pit.

This is kinda a drag cause sometimes you want a specific spot, or try to find a better spot only to miss out and, well... flail.

So why not a permanent pit? Like when you join you get a pit position based on your position in the race, or based on when you joined or maybe even a "draft" of sorts where each person can choose where they want their pit or if they don't care just a "whatever" option.

Also, why not a dynamic pit? Sorry to say, the racing is immersive, but the pitting is what ruins it for me. there's no urgency. i just sit there as text and numbers tell me whats going on . (i do this face often in real life)

I was playing NR2003 today and was like "Now this is what most games are missing, dynamic pit-crews."

=/ Seriously.... it's a good idea.
I agree an assigned pit box, with some way of visually marking which box is for you, would bring a nice extra challenge to pitting.
Maybe it could be implented (by the devs of course) a little green arrow pointing down (hovering above the pit-field) at the place/field that is yours. Fail to do this and you will recive a penalty or something (have no clue how those rules are in real racing).
#4 - amp88
At the moment there aren't enough pit boxes on most (possibly all) tracks if there is a full field of drivers. So, if each driver was to be assigned a pit box there would be conflicts which would lead to problems if 2 or more drivers assigned to the same pit box pitted at the same time. If the pits on each track are expanded (doubtful) to handle a full field then +1 to this idea.
Good point
As starter it could be implented on the tracks with 32 pit boxes, on the other tracks there would need to be a work-around for it.
In RL team mates share a box. I think it's very rare that in a server with 32 drivers there aren't few team mates. Is a way to solve the problem
Maybe so, but it's still a possibility that needs to have a working solution.
#8 - amp88
Quote from Whiskey :In RL team mates share a box. I think it's very rare that in a server with 32 drivers there aren't few team mates. Is a way to solve the problem

Rare but not impossible and that's the problem. There's also an issue of determining which of the racers are teammates. Obviously LFS World data is available but what if it's outdated or the server hosting LFS World is temporarily offline when LFS wants to assign pit boxes?
Agreed. Also, i'm sorry to say, but i think an actualy live dynamic pit crew would need to be in order.

only your's tho.... o.o cause seriously i hate imagining "Oh.... my left front bumper is being worked on.... oh... they're changing my left tires! YAY"

And their is always a work around. Maybe a kind of option that comes up before the race starts ? Like "Here are the pit boxes. Here... choose a location"

And up to 2 people can choose the same spot?

=D

> > Or you know.. he could always just edit the tracks and make the pits longer.

I really just would like to see a dynamic pit crew working on my car in a predefined location... kinda like how NR2003 did it. Only they arn't made of boxes.
Something that could happen is like Arsenic_Fox said is that you chose your pit but when your online in multiplayer you have a sign at the top in small words saying pit open if your pitbox is empty and pit closed if some1 else is in your spot(someone who also chooses the same pit box). Also having a penalty for using the wrong pit and some way of making yours destinctive so you know which one is yours.

Sorry i know its a long post.
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :Ok, something I've noticed since i've first played is that there is no proper "pit" area. You can just stop almost wherever and pit.

This is kinda a drag cause sometimes you want a specific spot, or try to find a better spot only to miss out and, well... flail.

So why not a permanent pit? Like when you join you get a pit position based on your position in the race, or based on when you joined or maybe even a "draft" of sorts where each person can choose where they want their pit or if they don't care just a "whatever" option.

Also, why not a dynamic pit? Sorry to say, the racing is immersive, but the pitting is what ruins it for me. there's no urgency. i just sit there as text and numbers tell me whats going on . (i do this face often in real life)

I was playing NR2003 today and was like "Now this is what most games are missing, dynamic pit-crews."

=/ Seriously.... it's a good idea.

I agree, NR2003 has great pit animations(even though the graphics are a little outdated) but who cares, that game's great.
If there is a threat of not enough boxes, try to do it so that it's an option so if there are only 20 people and 20 boxes, you could turn permapit on and if there's too many people turn it off.
Quote from piggy501 :If there is a threat of not enough boxes, try to do it so that it's an option so if there are only 20 people and 20 boxes, you could turn permapit on and if there's too many people turn it off.

like i said before, or you could make it so that BEFORE the race can even START people have to choose the pit box they want to use.... and only 2 per box.

ArsenicFox | RandomDude
OMGAguy | Heylookpits
MEGApants| SmileMcDuff

> > something like that..

< < seems pretty simple.. like even something you could do inSim (at least the menu)

o.o Also, i'd definetly would recommend pit animations. I guess a few cars could do it the NASCAR way (like the lower level cars) and then the higher level cars could use the entire-car lift system.

I really feel we'd need animations. And as much as a simulation as this is... even if we COULDNT hit the pit guys, wouldn't it at least be more of a simulation WITH pit guys than a car that floats and fixes itself
I want to do 200mph down Kyoto pit lane and take out the pit man
Quote from amp88 :At the moment there aren't enough pit boxes on most (possibly all) tracks if there is a full field of drivers. So, if each driver was to be assigned a pit box there would be conflicts which would lead to problems if 2 or more drivers assigned to the same pit box pitted at the same time. If the pits on each track are expanded (doubtful) to handle a full field then +1 to this idea.

BL: 16 (+2)
SO: 16 (+1) (++3)
FE: 16 (++2) club, gold, black
FE: 16 (++2) green
KY: 16 (+15) (++1) oval, national
KY: 16 (+2) gp long
WE: 16 (+2)
AS: 18 (+2) cadet, north
AS: 18 (+2) club, national, historic, GP, GT

16/18 is current number of pit boxes

+# means the pit area already exists, all that needs adding is the yellow pit box outline

++# means that with modifications to the buildings (but NOT to the limits of the pit lane) more pit boxes could be added.

For example KY oval could house a total of 16 (current) + 15 (pit areas there) + 1 (slight reworking of physical model) = 32 total pit boxes. Most of the others are within 4 of the limit due to space so 20 at max.
Could be done like in F1, where every team have 2 drivers, which are assigned to 1 pit-box. When they both drive to pits, second one have to wait behind him.
It's the easiest possible fix for that.
It could be done just assigning pitboxes as you join the track, since it is difficult to determine who are teammates. For example.

Connection 1 : Pitbox #1
Connection 2 : Pitbox #2
Connection 16 : Pitbox #16
Connection 17 : Pitbox #1 [along with Connection 1]
Connection 18 : Pitbox #2
Connection 32: Pitbox #16

If there are more than 32 connections, whenver you spectate your Pitbox allocation go's to the next person who joins the track.

Of course, if this was implimented in a certain way, it could allow for server admins to manually allocate pit boxes via a command such as "/box 1 spiderbait90" or "/box 14 Lerts". Manual allocations would stick utill the user disconnects.

Implimentation this way would also allow legue admins to create a script to automatically set pitbox's for the teams participating in the legue, at each race, without needing to go through a long process of getting each driver to join the track in a certain sequence to get the drivers to the desired pitbox.

Of course, this feature should also be able to be disabled by server admins in my opinion.
Again though, you have the problem of total strangers messing up your race by occupying your pitbox when you need it. It would work if everyone drove in teams, but everyone doesn't.
When I play a simulation title I want the simulation to be as precise as it takes in order to meet reality, so I want a standard pit box assigned to a driver.

The way pits work now ruin the simulation atmosphere!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG