The online racing simulator
I'm so sorry, but... I really want GRID!
(92 posts, started )
#51 - JJ72
I think GRID will soon create a whole new genre.

Games that you can fully enjoy by looking at some screenshots and crash compliation clips, instead of actually playing it. The game will be distributed freely but rendered in wireframe, and you will have to pay to see all the bling bling effect.
Quote from eobet :* Nope, LFS doesn't convey this fully because of the insistence of Scawen not to add more feeling to the force feedback, like G-forces...

Oh ffs I laughed and hard.. G FORCES WTF MAN LOL best laughs ever! hahahahahahaha sorry maybe im just laughing to everything, its 6:00am in here and i haven't sleeped yet and yet but wtttf this is ridiciuous

E: Tried the game, SUCKED SO HARD! It's even worse than nfs. IT'S WNB Simulation game! Sounds sucked and hard... Physics sucked and hard.. THERE WERE NO POINT AT ALL
e2ont buy this game vvision in driving is too blurry and boring no fun at all
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :
E: Tried the game, SUCKED SO HARD! It's even worse than nfs. IT'S WNB Simulation game! Sounds sucked and hard... Physics sucked and hard.. THERE WERE NO POINT AT ALL
e2ont buy this game vvision in driving is too blurry and boring no fun at all

Unfortunately that's the case with most semi-simulations (and yes this is an actual genre of racing). In fact the only semi-simulation that I actually wasn't disgusted with was R:Racing Evolution and Jarrett and Labonte Racing. ToCA 3 a little enjoyable (probably because of the novelty of having that many disciplines), but GRID is a step down from ToCA 3 IMO.
I finally tried it. What a crappy game LOL
One thing is an arcadish game and other different thing is to do a burnout in 6th gear from stopped, for example.
Grapchics are nice and the game runs smooth with all settings to max quality, but too much bloom IMO.
In short: Uninstalled, there are better arcadish games than Grid :static:
#55 - Zay
i has grid.it great game but u needs a great computer to plays its properly.
#56 - 5haz
If you want GRID, I suggest you go and buy it then.

But trust me, you will be left dissapointed. Also, GRID is nothing like being in a real race.
Quote from 5haz :
But trust me, you will be left dissapointed. Also, GRID is nothing like being in a real race.

o rly? I thought it came the closest to pulling off the intensity of racing. Actually, it's the only racing game I've ever played to really get my heart going 150-200 BPM (about what I get at the start of a real race). GRID's one of the better racing games I've ever played. Tons of fun online, great little career mode, the cockpit view is cool, the AI actually respects the player for once and makes mistakes, etc etc.

You guys (and pretty much all "simracers") need to get over the snobby elitism. So what if an F3 car sets Formula 1 world records in this game? It's damn fun. It's not out to be realistic, it's out to be fun. Something a lot of sims could learn from...
#59 - 5haz
Quote from MadCat360 :o rly? I thought it came the closest to pulling off the intensity of racing. Actually, it's the only racing game I've ever played to really get my heart going 150-200 BPM (about what I get at the start of a real race). GRID's one of the better racing games I've ever played. Tons of fun online, great little career mode, the cockpit view is cool, the AI actually respects the player for once and makes mistakes, etc etc.

You guys (and pretty much all "simracers") need to get over the snobby elitism. So what if an F3 car sets Formula 1 world records in this game? It's damn fun. It's not out to be realistic, it's out to be fun. Something a lot of sims could learn from...

The fact still stands that it is not that much like a real race, I never said that was a bad thing. You want something intense, try GPL or Richard Burns Rally. Attacking the early part of Chirdonhead stage with blind bends over crests at nearly 100mph in places, or trying to 4 wheel drift around the fast curves of Zandvoort, or Spa, 150mph+ inches from walls. In my opinion its more fun that anything GRID has to offer, thats just my opinion.
Quote from MadCat360 :

See...once something ridiculous like that happens then it's not fun any more. Are you that easily wowed by special effects that u'll start to completely ignore the game's horrible mechanics?

For a racer, to have fun, the elements of racing have to be there. Once I can put my wheels on the grass and not have to worry about spinning out instantly, then it becomes easy. And once it becomes easy it becomes boring. Such as completely missing my apex without any real consequences. That's boring.

Unless a game's purpose isn't to bring to it's audience a sense of racecraft (like NFS or Wipeout). But games like GRID does try to bring "racing" to it's audience. So if I don't see any elements of racecraft being implemeted, the superficial special effects aren't going to carry a serious racing game alone.

LFS has bloom, good enough already to satisfy the graphics maniacs tbh.

Making a 600+ hp car to handle atleast remotely like a 600+ hp car? Having severe consequences for missing the apex or going off on the grass? Is this really too much to ask? Or are the arcadish game developers (and its subsequent fans) just too lazy to make their "racing experience" more true to the actual experience? I think arcadish games like GRID is where most ppl get their misconceptions about professional racing.
Quote from lizardfolk :See...once something ridiculous like that happens then it's not fun any more. Are you that easily wowed by special effects that u'll start to completely ignore the game's horrible mechanics?

And I suppose Call of Duty is a crappy game too because you can't trip on weeds and you can respawn?

Also, on grass, race line, racecraft etc: play online. You don't see the guys who win races, set fastest times and top leaderboards going off track, missing apexes, and using bad racecraft.
#62 - JJ72
MadCat has a point, but it is very hard to go back to arcade racers when you have been sim racing for some years, the best thing to do is grab a gamepad and forget about the steering wheel, then you can get away from your sim racing mode and maybe enjoy GRID a bit.

I use to play NFS4 a lot, but now I can't stand anything without some decent steering feel.
Quote from MadCat360 :And I suppose Call of Duty is a crappy game too because you can't trip on weeds and you can respawn?

See...it's not that absolute. It's circumstantial to game genre, and intentions. Is CoD4 as realistic as it could possibly be? Of course not. But if you compare CoD4 to other (crappier) shooter games like...GunZ Online, then CoD4 is amazingly realistic. GunZ Online has a wonderful contact detection engine and a reasonable net code. Yet the game isn't considered good purely because I can unload an entire machine gun clip into an opponent and the opponent will still have more than half of his health.

The general online consensus is that CoD4 is better than GunZ because GunZ is unrealistic to the point of hilarity (which is why some ppl play the game avidly).

Games almost always push for more realism and using realism to judge a game isn't a bad thing. Why do you suppose all the game makers try to add "realism" to their games such as stamina, gun jamming (Operation 7), or blood spatter.

If realism in video games doesn't matter, then people wouldn't bother with all those extra features.

The racing genre has a higher standard towards realism (but again, this depends on the intentions of the creators). NFS was never intended to be realistic and only serve to bring the tuner/street racing culture to the audience. The interface wasn't bad and it was never overly complicated or confusing. While GRID (and the entire ToCA series) did intend to be a serious racing game about professional racing. Well, in that aspect it didn't do it's job.

Realism shouldn't be the overwhelming factor in judging a game. Yes, I agree. But in racing games realism holds much more weight (to me).

Quote from MadCat360 :Also, on grass, race line, racecraft etc: play online. You don't see the guys who win races, set fastest times and top leaderboards going off track, missing apexes, and using bad racecraft.

I completely missed the apex of a hairpin and my time was only .30 seconds more. I overshoot the racing line and all i need to do is hard brake to get back on (LOL). While racecraft IS somewhat present. It is too superficial for me to enjoy the game. This is due to me having an higher knowledge and more experience with professional racing. I'm sorry if that makes me a snob for expressing my discontent but it doesnt change the fact that GRID is highly unrealistic. And complaining that people shouldn't bash GRID for being highly unrealistic is unwarranted tbh unless GRID has a far superior netcode, interface, physics, etc to LFS.

The only thing that GRID has over LFS is that GRID's graphics and effects are spectacular and it has better AI (but LFS was never intended to be an offline game). But as I've said before, spectacular graphics and effects will not hold a serious racing game to me. If it does to you, fine...I guess you enjoy special effects a lot then. But cry foul when others dont agree with you and want something more substancial than graphics.
You're taking this way too seriously dude. Calm down.

I don't understand why you think Grid is trying to be realistic or serious. It lets you choose "Bozo" as a nickname (and the engineer and manager lady will call you that, which is gold. "There's a crash up ahead Bozo!").

Quote :And complaining that people shouldn't bash GRID for being highly unrealistic is unwarranted tbh unless GRID has a far superior netcode, interface, physics, etc to LFS.

It's a different sub-genre. Arena-style twitch deathmatch games like Quake and UT don't grab me, but you don't see me trying to call it a crap game just because of that (actually I rated UT3 quite high when I was writing for an indie game site even though I don't like those types of games).

Quote :This is due to me having an higher knowledge and more experience with professional racing.

Ah. So what TV channel can I find your races on? What series? What team?
Quote from MadCat360 :You're taking this way too seriously dude. Calm down.

Does it read like I'm angry? Sorry, I'm not angry at you or anyone else.

Quote from MadCat360 :I don't understand why you think Grid is trying to be realistic or serious. It lets you choose "Bozo" as a nickname (and the engineer and manager lady will call you that, which is gold. "There's a crash up ahead Bozo!").

Ok...

First:

Quote :GRID is all about making racing cars exciting again. We got tired of playing games that are more about collecting or tuning or decorating cars than they are about actually racing them, and we feel we’ve got the perfect skills and technology to put that right. Our focus is on what happens between the grid and the chequered flag – the drama, the rivalries, the aggression, the crashes - all the things which make a full season of motorsport exciting in the real world, but concentrated into every thrilling race experience.

That sounds serious enough to me.

Also, while I admit that they did say they were going "away from their simulation roots", but "they planned on still incorporating simulation elements like being able to drive without aids." Frankly, GRID without driving aids is still way too easy. It still feels arcadish without the aids.

Second:

Example: Second Life is supposedly a serious "life" game. And yet I can choose names like GossipGirl.

Just because a game allows you to be immature, doesn't mean it was originally intended to be light hearted.

Quote from MadCat360 :It's a different sub-genre. Arena-style twitch deathmatch games like Quake and UT don't grab me, but you don't see me trying to call it a crap game just because of that (actually I rated UT3 quite high when I was writing for an indie game site even though I don't like those types of games).

I dont believe I have ever said Need for Speed was absolute crap (correct me if I'm wrong). I dont like Need for Speed, but not really because it's highly unrealistic, but more of that they over glorify street racing.

So, while I admit Need for Speed games are sometimes really good for its purposes. Trackmania Nations is also highly unrealistic, and yet I love trackmania and play it often.

GRID wasnt originally intended to be a light hearted arcade racing game like Need for Speed. It was intended to be somewhat similar to Race On, Superstar V8, or Xpand Rally.

It's better than Xpand Rally, but it is still quite unrealistic compared to even Race On or Superstar V8. So, while calling it crap might be an exaggeration on my part. I'm still going to consider it's disregard for realistic physics in favor of spectacular effects as a negative.

Quote from MadCat360 :Ah. So what TV channel can I find your races on? What series? What team?

Years of watching Motorsports and researching them. I have no hands on experience per say but me watching them for years is good enough. U'd be surprised the amount of people who cant even remotely comprehend why they cant even get through T1 in a Seat when they are...and I quote "Doing 200 mph no problem in a NFS Zonda".

Most of the people (that I know) have never even heard of F1.

Funny story, I was practicing the FO8 at Kyoto National, a friend came in, got curious and took over my G25. he couldn't even get out of the pits without spinning out and I quote "OMG WHY IS IT DOING THAT? WHAT THE F&$%? WHY IS IT DOING THAT, IS IT SUPPOSE TO DO THAT?"

:rolleyes:

Typical ignorance for an arcade racer player and, unfortunately, the majority of the people who play racing games.
I dont get how you can compare Cod4 to Grid the only similarity is there both games but i reckon Lizard has naild the nail down through the board and out the other side.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from AstroBoy :I dont get how you can compare Cod4 to Grid the only similarity is there both games but i reckon Lizard has naild the nail down through the board and out the other side.

It's fairly easy. Grid is authentic (looks, locations, control methods), but not realistic. Same for Call of Duty. Call of Duty could be like ArmA, but would it really be more fun because of that? It would lose all of the fast-paced excitement.

I might also liken Grid to Ace Combat. Ace Combat's got the basics, pitch, yaw, stalling, missile lock on, radar assisted gun targeting, all that stuff, but it simplifies, compacts, and speeds everything up a bit, with fantastic, fun, happy-go-lucky results.

Quote :GRID is all about making racing cars exciting again. We got tired of playing games that are more about collecting or tuning or decorating cars than they are about actually racing them, and we feel we’ve got the perfect skills and technology to put that right. Our focus is on what happens between the grid and the chequered flag – the drama, the rivalries, the aggression, the crashes - all the things which make a full season of motorsport exciting in the real world, but concentrated into every thrilling race experience.

I didn't see anything in there that says it's supposed to be an anal simulation, just being exciting. If Grid doesn't make you in the least bit excited I'd say there's something very wrong in how you're looking at it.
Quote from aroX123 :you can get it free for pc, just download torrent, if you want i can help you get it

Oh mint, Thanks
Quote from MadCat360 :It's fairly easy. Grid is authentic (looks, locations, control methods), but not realistic. Same for Call of Duty. Call of Duty could be like ArmA, but would it really be more fun because of that? It would lose all of the fast-paced excitement.

Look at Shootout the History Channel game. Most realistic shooter I've ever played and one of the more intense. CoD4 is realistic among the hoards of shooter games out there (just look at Solder Front and GunZ).

Quote from MadCat360 :I didn't see anything in there that says it's supposed to be an anal simulation, just being exciting. If Grid doesn't make you in the least bit excited I'd say there's something very wrong in how you're looking at it.

Why does something need to be an anal sim to be serious? Is it so hard for you to accept that the developers of GRID intended the game to be a serious racing game unlike games like Drift City or Need for Speed? Race On, Superstar V8, and Xpand Rally were all serious games without being an anal sim.

Yes, it wants to be exciting. But it wants to be exciting through various means including adding the option of driving it in simulator mode or not. Having spectacular graphics as well as having it "realistic". Well it failed in the realistic department. I mean come on. Race On, and Superstar V8 was a better game. More realistic while matching it on everything else. Thus GRID isn't a very good game mainly because they failed in the realistic department while trying to make the game look as "Hollywood" as possible.

Why is it so bad to consider that a negative? I've known games that were considered crap for far less (Exteel, Runes of Magic, Hegemonia).

As far as exciting...yeh, the effects were cool. So what? That's alone is not going to make a game interesting. If that does for you...well....good for you...then there are a lot of games that can satisfy you. For a hardcore gamer like me who's played almost everything that came out...effects kinda bore me now. Cause it really is all the same from game to game unless a game offers something more substantial (story, gameplay, realism (especially in racing games), etc).
Quote from MadCat360 : If Grid doesn't make you in the least bit excited I'd say there's something very wrong in how you're looking at it.

ROFL! It's so unexciting it nearly put me in a coma.

A driving 'game' that requires next to no skill whatsoever is not in the slightest bit exciting.

I've had races in netKar Pro, iRacing, LFS and the HistorX mod that have nearly made my heart explode, and i must have lost litres of fluids during them. GRID can only dream of providing racing that exciting.
i really hate grid too unrealistic i mean i can handle arcadey but cmon you can stop from 150mph with braking quicker than if you hit a wall cmon codies

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH 600 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its a good game tbh, i like it, good physics.
Quote from Jordan2007 : good physics.

This thread gets funnier by the post.

GOOD PHYSICS?
I hate to use the same pic twice in one thread, but.....

good physics my arse!

I really hope this was all just a case of my sarcasm detector not working.
#74 - JJ72
maybe he means collision physics.
Quote from JJ72 :maybe he means collision physics.

yea, grid crashes and visuals + lfs physics = awesome

I'm so sorry, but... I really want GRID!
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG